Flight Sims....

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Asmodeus, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hey guys, been awhile since I have been here.

I am looking to get into Flight Sim games. I have been doing some searching online about them, but have no idea where to start.

Just curious as to what some of your favorites are and where what would be a good one for a someone with ZERO flight sim experience.

Also any reccomendations on a controller would help a lot too.

Thanks guys.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Well, FSX from Microsoft is nice SP2 brings dx10 support to it. It has nice adjustble reality settings and the esyest is good for people who just want to fly around.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What do you want to fly?

4. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Mainly interested in Military Aircraft, but I am sure I will need to start something more basic than that to learn on.

5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Military...as in just flying them around...or combat?

Also what era? FXS will give you the ability after you download and install them, to fly Military aircraft of all eras, but no combat. With FSX you have options to make it easier to fly, and some aircraft that are very easy to fly, like the Ultra Lite, and the J-3 Cub. The stock scenery and graphics are very good, and there are addons that are even better. The aircraft choice is almost unlimited. MS has always made their flight sims 'open source' and there is a huge community that design and produce aircraft for the sim. Some payware, and some freeware. Be advised tho, FSX will use every bit of power you system can produce. You need a fast CPU and a good Vid Card to get 1/2 way decent FPS. Also for the best "Eye Candy" you will need Vista and a DX10 vid card.

If WWII Combat sounds interesting, then about the only real choice there is currently, would be IL2 1946. If you go that direction, be careful, as there are some older versions still being sold. The one you would want, especially if you wish to eventually go online would be IL2 1946.

IL2 is going on 7 years old now, and altho it's been updated a bit, the graphics will not compare with FSX. But, that means that you don't need an Uber System to get decent frame rates with it. A mid range system will run it quite well. Until recently, IL2 was also CLOSED SOURCE, and what you got on the CD/DVD was what you got. No addon aircraft or maps, other than what came out with upgrades/patches. However, about a year ago, someone hacked the code, and there is a growing community of modders, that have made some very nice improvements to the game, and made aircraft that were in the game as AI only flyable. IL2 does have a high learning curve, but once you get the basics down, it can be a lot of fun, and a great stress reliever.

Price wise, IL2 wins hands down. IL2 1946 can be found (if you are in the states) for about 19.95. FSX is a bit more, and you would really want the DELUXE EDITION of FSX and the FSX ACCELLERATION addon if you want to get all of the DX10 goodies.

Also, a Joy Stick with a twist grip (for rudder control) is almost mandatory. Something like the Saitek Cyborg evo would work well to start with. It's not real $$ at 39.95 msrp, and most likely cheaper online. I use the Saitek X52 and Saitek rudder pedels, but then again, I'm a serious Flight Simmer. For info on Saisticks: PC Gaming - PC Joysticks - Flight Sticks

For better info from the guys that fly the sims:

IL2: Forums - Powered by eve community

IL2 mods: All Aircraft Arcade :: Index

One of the better FSX forums (there are many): Simviation Forums - Index

AND great resource for FSX addons: Flight Simulator Downloads - Microsoft Flight Simulator X, FSX, FS2004 FS2004, FS2002, FS2000, FS98, Combast Flight Simulator 3, CFS3, CFS2 & CFS Add-ons!

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Also, if you are looking for modern times warfare, then Falcon 4.0 is the one you are looking for. It can be found cheaply now days and it has so many patches and upgrades for it that makes it a whole different game. Dynamic campaign flying an F-16. But, not the easiest simulator to try first.

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

IL-2 Sturmovik... Hands down the best flight sim available!!! Bit of a learning curve but way less than Microsoft FS and such.

Think GamingHeaven even has a review of it, epic game, buy it and thank me later ;)

8. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

I couldn't wait anymore. I went to Best Buy and bought:
    Microsoft Flight Simulator Deluxe Edition
    Microsoft Flight Simulator Acceleration
    Saitek X52 Controller.

Got it all for $157 with some rebate things I had forgotten about, so I pulled the plug. [​IMG]:w00t:

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Well, if you say COMBAT flight sim ... maybe. Altho there are some 3rd party developments that have made the much maligned MS CFS 3 an almost completely new sim. I have flown IL2 1946 a LOT, and while it is good, it does have it's share of warts.

The all around best Flight Sim would still be FSX, and while it does have something of a learning curve, it does have a "Flight School" which helps with that, and what you learn there will carry over to other sims.