Floppy drive ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Boom782, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Boom782

Boom782 New Member

Ok, I just switched over to my 3rd MB for this year. My original one was for my crappy Celeron and I fried it while working with it. I then got a cheap-o replacement to hold me off for couple months. Installed everything, fairly easy, almost no problems, except when I booted up the PC halted on errors. It said Floppy Drive Error (40). I messed around with it and gave up figuring I could live without a Floppy for awhile. Well I finally called into HP and they sent out a new replacement, which did the exact same thing.

Now I have my Epox 8K3A board and the newer floppy drive is still giving me the same error and not working. And ideas why? Thanks for the help.

Boom

2. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Rather than spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on multiple mobos, just spend 11 bucks on a floppydrive :rolleyes: :D :lol:

3. Frodo301

Frodo301 Outraged

Replaced the floppy cable?

Although by the time you paid for the cable + the drive to get it a new floppy drive might make more sense. Look around in some of your local mom & pop computer stores. I have one I go to all the time that has used floppy drives running about $3.00 a pop with a 30 day warranty.

4. rushstrike

rushstrike New Member

You sure you have connected the floppy drive the right way? I have seen faulty floppy drives where it doesn't work even when you connect it the right way (red band facing the power input). So just try reversing it and see if it still works.

5. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Re:

Sorry, rushstrike, but I have a slight problem with your statement. It's an understandable error, but it is an error nontheless -- the position of Pin 1 on floppy drives varies. Sometimes red points towards the power connector, sometimes it points away. Sometimes the power connect is right above the floppy cable connector. The only way to tell is if the drive has Pin 1 marked (that's where the red cable goes).

If you've got it plugged in and the floppy LED stays on THEN you have the cable in backwards.

6. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Re:

Good to know that I'm not the only one who gets cables around the wrong way sometimes ;)

Thats one reason I miss my UW2 SCSI drives - the connecters were in a D shape so they could only go on one way.