Folding@Home - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by IvanV, Mar 17, 2020.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Sorry for usurping the "Official" adjective (mods, feel free to rename), but the old Folding for HardwareHeaven thread is locked and the "new" one that the old thread links to in the penultimate post is MIA - dead link.

Anyway, most of you know what this is about. Long ago, a team from Stanford University started a project where people all over the world could donate their idle computing cycles and run scientific simulations of a thing called protein folding*, over the years it has resulted in a number of scientific papers.

Back in the day, I did almost 200 work units and, despite the increase in hardware performance over time, I'm still in the top 10% of donors, but at some point, I stopped doing it and, while I never fully forgot about it, it kind of slipped my mind.

Well, these days, Folding@Home is more popular than ever! With the currently ongoing pandemic the Stanford team has joined the global effort against COVID19 and added a bunch of projects related to researching the virus. So, if you feel up to it, go for it, the setup is super simple and you'll quickly be doing some serious science on your PC and it will become a part of an incredibly powerful supercomputer!

If you, at that, wish to join team HardwareHeaven, just enter team number 201544 when the client first starts. :)

*After a protein molecule is "assembled", it looks like a long chain which needs to be warped into a specific shape in order to do what it's supposed to do and this process is called protein folding. Occasionally, though, the folding goes wrong and then, strange things can happen, with a bunch of illnesses, from Alzheimer's to many forms of cancer, being linked to proteins "misfolding".

2. IvanV

BTW, I managed to find some of my official folding history and it turns out that I used to be a member of a team called "Brony@Home". o_O Very suspicious. Judas, I'm looking at you! :p

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

what?

i know that somehow my account has been associated with numerous other projects too.. that i certainly wasn't apart of at ALL.... why you'd be part of brony@home ...... i haven't the faintest idea.

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

@Judas just fess up already...you look bad.

5. IvanV

Someone renamed the old DriverHeaven team. That's the one other group of which I was a member, so it has to be it. :) And I'm still looking at Judas.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

seriously look up my name.... user ID 616018 .... Judas

There have been 4 folding groups i've contributed to.. but way way back i folded for Brony@Home as a competition and managed to come in second place.. and won an custom plush out of 2 options... the 1st place winner got first dibs.

Since then i haven't folded a thing... but look at my stats, someone out there somehow... is still contributing under my name and unfortunately the site isn't working to look up exactly what team it is for, but i know there are other teams my account has been hijacked for... which isn't necessarily a problem.

7. Calliers

Oh Judas, they really should make you the new Dos Equis mascot.

8. IvanV

If you had problems with F@H over the previous days, they seem to have been resolved. During the period, I often had to wait on new GPU WUs, I couldn't get any for the CPU slots, submitting was iffy, it was almost impossible for me to get user stats... They said that they've seen an incredible surge in donor activity since they started COVID-19 research, so I guess that that resulted in an inadvertent DoS attack of sorts, but as of this morning, everything seems smooth. I'm even getting WUs for the CPU and they are the first I've seen over the last few days that aren't coronavirus related, which I think is good news, because we shouldn't abandon everything else.

The CPU WUs seem to be simpler, so they actually don't take longer to finish than the GPU ones (on a relatively balanced machine). I don't remember exactly how long they used to take, but the first WU I folded was done on a 2GHz single core Athlon64 and that took a while.

9. IvanV

It's snowing today (after 20°C three days ago), so folding on both laptop and desktop! :D

10. Calliers

Yeah it is snowing here as well, nothing like a good ole snow storm to keep people in doors.

Prior to that the weather had been balmy.

11. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Completely forgot to look this thread up when I started folding for COVID-19. I started folding because of HH as it was the first time I'd heard of it. I just updated my team from team 0.
    10,754,840. 0 go to team HardwareHeaven's total of 9,521,392. Oops :oops:
    Folding as: Redaemor