For $2,700, You Too Can Have Your Very Own Robot Dog

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You’re probably familiar with Spot, Boston Dynamics’ highly advanced, nightmare-inducing robot dog. And while it went on sale last year, few of us have an extra $74,500 lying around to buy one. However, Chinese firm Unitree Robotics has a similar quadruped bot that’s not only a fraction of the size, but it also starts at a mere $2,700. For an advanced robot dog, that’s actually pretty dang affordable.

Unitree’s Go1 is also technically impressive. In a video, you can see the bot walking alongside its “owner” while also automatically avoiding obstacles in its path. Unitree calls it an “Intelligent side-follow” system, and it supposedly utilizes “patented wireless vector positioning and control” tech. It’s also got what Unitree dubs a “super sensory system,” or five sets of fish-eye stereo depth cameras and three sets of hypersonic sensors. The company also says the Go1 features a new power joint with a heat pipe cooling system built-in. All-in-all, it looks impressive, considering it doesn’t break when doing a backflip off a tower of crates or when some fool yanks one up and swings it around by its rear leg.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be cheaper to get a real dog?

Calliers likes this.
  3. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I wonder how much noise it makes as it's walking around. They say, "extended battery life", which really doesn't tell me anything about how long the battery will last before you have to lug it back to a charger carrying it with that handle.

Honestly, I don't see the point of this as anything more than a curious novelty. Seems like it would make a better rental toy to mess with for a day than anything I would actually buy.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

But...can he carry your bottle of water for you? :D

5. Calliers

One guy on the Youtube page raises an interesting point, he says "Give me the SDK and I'll buy a few" or something along those lines, that would make it really really cool if people could make it do all sorts of stuff.

6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Black Mirror predicted this

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

OMG, don't even...