For my Son... Setup Suggestions for 50th Birthday Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, May 4, 2020.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My son's 50th birthday is coming up next Monday, the 11th of May. My daughter-in-law is providing him funds for a special PC build.

His Goal:
    Play Star Citizen at High Settings WHILE Streaming the game. "High Settings" likely means, at least 1080, but could also mean 4K.

He is open to either Intel or AMD Ryzen based setup. He and I will build the system from the parts. Budget maybe as much as $1000 - $1200 USD. He has a case he really likes and will likely use that. (He never puts the side cover on it.)

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

If he really wants to stream, without any degradation, he's likely going to either need to snag a proper 3950x ryzen cpu.... or invest that into a dedicated streaming box to do the job. Either way, moving forward, definitely don't want to get anything lower than a 3700x ... arguably even a 3900x.

Really though we need a far bit more narrowed down details.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

And I was thinking for 4K he'd need at least a RTX 2080 Super.

4. Dyre Straits

Totally understand this. I even tried to get more info from him and her. It was something of a surprise while we were at dinner.

5. Calliers

So what's the low down lol? Let's hear them deets.

6. Dyre Straits

He currently has an Nv 2080 (not Ti) card and wants to bring the mobo, cpu, and RAM up to the point of supporting the above mentioned goal. He has large...very, very old...case that has served him well. It's very tall, very roomy. But, should a mobo require it, he could go for a new case.

FWIW, he's on Twitch and does a weekend podcast.

https://m.twitch.tv/rikturscale/profile

7. Judas

If he indeed does streaming using say OBS.... and utilizes CPU encoding or wants to (as cpu encoding tends to be superior quality wise).... then the more cpu horse power he can throw at it.. the better.

There are some streamers rocking threadripper 3000 builds for the simple sake of being able to manage 4k 60fps... which eats the cpus alive. Basically a 8 core 16 thread 3700x does quite well with 1080p 60fps ~> 1440p... but in order to crank out the 4k, 16core would be a minimum and threadripper would probably be the only reliable long term solution.

If he however uses the 2080, to do the streaming using nvidia's encoder, that's a different matter as overall that's not much of an additional load on the cpu, at which point i'd still suggest at least a 3900x going forward.

Right now i tell people a ryzen 3600 is the prime best bang for the buck all round Gaming cpu. If you want to push highend gaming only, a 3700x should suffice. If you want long term functionality however, and top tier game performance, a 3900x is arguably the best bang for the buck right now, 12 cores, 24 threads and that sweet sweet extra memory performance (due to the chiplet design and how the IO operates).

I'd also recommend no less than a x570 board in order to ensure that majority of the capabilities can be obtained if say they wanted to move to a 4000 ryzen in the future.. or maybe they can snag a good am4 cpu now and then get a 12 or 16 core ryzen 4000 which is supposed to have some significant improvement over ryzen 3000.

Just make sure 3200mhz is the minimum, 3600-3733mhz is the best performance range... and 2x8gb while good, 2x16gb dual rank memory that fast should be plenty.

8. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

What is the current PSU? Also what kind of SSD does he have? $1200 USD is a lot, but if a PSU and SSD are needed that bites into the budget a lot.

QB

9. Dyre Straits

^^^^PSU... I'm nearly certain he got a 750W PSU not long ago. And, he is using a SSD, I think, 500 GB...along with HDDs in the system.

JUDAS: I'll pass along your comments.

10. Calliers

I recommend at least an Nvme m.2 SSD, m.2 form factor, for speed. They are a lot faster than SATA SSDs.

11. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Not all 750 W PSU's are created equally and I also second the above statement... so both details are fairly important when putting together a price list. If we are looking to build the sweetest system your money can buy, we need all the info :)

QB

12. Judas

not sure... but if a replacement ssd is on the menu.. the 970 evo plus drives from samsung are still top notch bang for the buck.

Samsung is due to release the 980's which are samsung own specialty PCI-EX v4.0 which they did show off earlier in january that appear to be able to completely dominate the ssd benchmarks across the board again. Though i'm not sure how many people need nearly 7GB/s reads and close to that of 6GB/s write performance on a single drive, but a lot of people are frothing at the mouth to raid a couple of them up for their workloads.

13. Calliers

I will vouch for Samsung SSDs, they are -excellent-. I took the advice of @Judas and got a 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme (it's my system drive), and it has done wonders for me over the months I've had my PC. My PC is about to turn 1 years old in June I believe.

I also have a 500GB Western Digital Black m.2 SSD which I have on a riser card (remember the days everything had to be on riser boards lol, oh the days of the ISA), and it has also done right by me. The newer WD Black m.2 drives are excellent as well. And they do come in large capacities too.

14. Dyre Straits

A question from my son: Is there anything especially significant that is about to be announced that would be of consideration? I think that's the question anyway. ;)

15. Calliers

There's always something about to be announced lol, but I believe Nvidia is about to announce some new GFX cards soon.

16. Judas

most of the announcements are delayed OR they will be announced but products will be delayed.

we'll see then june rolls around.. that's pretty much when new stuff is launched/paper launched... or announced

17. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

On the consumer front, I think it would be late Q4 before anything new is available and even that is if the stars align.

QB

18. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Oh come on! No one is going to make the most obvious joke?
    By the time Star Citizen comes out he is going to need a quantum computer to run it at medium settings.

19. Calliers

Star Citizen is proper vaporware mate.

20. Dyre Straits

Regardless as to what we feel about S/C, this thing has him totally stoked. I'm not sure if...or how much he's spent supporting it, but, he's really going with it. That, and PUBG.

Trusteft likes this.