For my Son... Setup Suggestions for 50th Birthday Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, May 4, 2020.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I think AMD releasing the new Ryzen line in September is pretty much confirmed, same with their new RDNA2 cards?

2. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

PUBG I can understand. The game looks pretty good, though I'm not sure if I'm quite sold on the "battle royale" mode of FPS games.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My son went last week fully intent on purchasing the PC components for his upgrade. However, when he got to the check-out, the cashier asked, "Are you sure you want to buy this NOW?"
    The cashier told him that the new Intel CPU and motherboard for it are going to be released on the 27th...and that the price would be about the same as what he presently had at the counter.
    Son decided to wait. :)

4. Calliers

So he's not going Ryzen?

QB71 likes this.
  5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

So what did he have? I still would not be recommending anything Intel, even with the new chipset and CPU's on the horizon. We need the details! Parts picked and prices of those parts if we are going to give any constructive feedback before the deed is done.

QB

Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

@Dyre Straits is known for being very secretive. He is truly a man alone against the elements.

7. Dyre Straits

He's been reading...from other sources...that streaming is best done with Intel based systems. At 50 years of age, you can't tell him anything. ;)

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The best setup is 2 separate machines. The key to remember is that you need a machine to handle all "other" duties of streaming, like chatbots, and any other programs you might need on top of encoding. You don't want to be stealing resources away from Star Citizen to run your stream. Also, if your game crashes, or you have issues with your gaming rig you won't lose your stream if you need to reboot it or have to restart the game client (remember: it's still an Alpha, and buggy as hell.. it will crash or bug out). 2 separate machines mean more stream uptime. So:

The best setup for playing Star Citizen: "bang for your buck" AMD Ryzen 7, if you have the money then go for the AMD Ryzen 9, as fast as possible SSD, and a minimum 16BG RAM. Because the games base code is a fork of the Cry Engine (in this case Lumberyard) the game is very CPU intensive and the more RAM the better. GPU, in this case, isn't an issue. The game runs fine on both AMD and Nvidia. The majority of machines I've built for Star Citizen use have been AMD 5700's or 5700XT's. Nvidia is fine, but you can't beat the price of the 5700 series. Pick whichever suits you (or your pocketbook).

The best setup for streaming: Intel is still king, but even an AMD Ryzen 5 is fine as long as you pair it with a good streaming card like the Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro. Once he gets up and running look into getting a good streaming deck to pair with the system.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Dyre Straits likes this.
  9. Dyre Straits

Passing this along! As, with the others! Thanks!

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If streaming is something he needs, Nvidia is where he should look at, not Intel.

11. Tipstaff

I know a few people that use a single machine running an Nvidia RTX card for streaming (a 2060 does pretty well, but usually a 1070, 1080, 2070, or 2080 is recommended). The best setup I've seen so far: OBS Studio 23 (which is an open-source broadcasting software) paired with an Nvidia RTX based GPU. OBS has optimizations RTX cards, more specifically for the NVENC video encoder, and honestly, it does work pretty well. You can't beat 2 systems for the best streaming experience, but this setup does work. Definitely something to think about for someone first starting out.

Edit: A little video for OBS / Nvidia RTX setup.

Trusteft and Dyre Straits like this.
  12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I stream with my GTX 970 mini and I have no problem streaming at 1080p max bitrate allowed (6000 which goes up to 8000 during the stream). Of course I don't play Read Dead Redemption 2 or something, but still, anything higher shouldn't have any problem either.

13. Dyre Straits

He is, actually, using OBS Studio with his current setup. But, he does mention some crashes now and then with it. I think it's the main reason he's in the market for something more dependable.

14. Tipstaff

One streamer I watch a lot uses XSplit Gamecaster along with an Elgato HD60 Pro. He also uses Streamlabs OBS instead of OBS Studio.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've never managed to get xsplit to function worth a shit.

16. Calliers

Xsplit is rubbish. Lol.

17. Tipstaff

Hey, just saying. There are options. And for this guy, for the 3 years I've been watching him he's never had an issue.

What kills me is that there are streamers that use interesting setups, some have no issue talking to you about what they run, but some.. some blatantly ignore you... which bugs the shit out of me. Do not mention what kind of setup you are running if you have no interest in actually sharing.

One stream I watch... or used to watch has a 2 PC setup with 1 having an Elgato card, but he's running VOICEMEETER POTATO Ultimate Mixer. Even brags about it. But he won't go into details about the setup. I've even heard him say, "You just have to figure it out for yourself." Like... FU!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  18. Dyre Straits

He got his kit this past Saturday. We spent a good bit of time getting things together. He moved his current parts to another case ... to keep for using a 2nd PC for the streaming.
    He had been using an AverMedia capture card and, for some reason, it refuses to install on the new system. It goes through the action of installing and then stops with a message: Unable to install the drivers on this device... something or other like that.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 490 AORUS Pro AX
    CPU: Intel i7 10700K LGA 1200
    RAM: 32 GB G-Skill Ripjaws 3600

We were both a bit surprised when we got home and discovered that Intel doesn't include a fan for the CPU. Fortunately, due to previous Intel systems we had here, we had a fan for it without having to make a trip back to the store.

So far, he's greatly pleased with the performance.

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  19. Calliers

That is great news, minus the capture card not working. Personally though I would never use a stock Intel cooler, stock Ryzen coolers are really good (the Prism coolers), but every other cooler you want to replace with an aftermarket one from a good manufacturer.

20. Dyre Straits

I actually did tell him that I recommended he get a 3rd party cooler for the CPU. I always did for myself after I had been building PCs for awhile. But, the ones I had built were passed on to other members of the family, so, we only had the Intel cooler to work with. I prefer CoolerMaster built CPU cooling fans.