For my Son... Setup Suggestions for 50th Birthday Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, May 4, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I see.

Cooler Master makes good ones, Noctua too.

I currently have a Prism cooler on my Ryzen 2700X on my main rig.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm just grossly puzzled why one would get a 10700k over a 3900x right now...specially considering the multi-tasking it'd be doing in this situation.

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Because he likes Intel and he's always bought Intel, and even if Intel is 80% slower he still will buy Intel?

4. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

a 3600 up 3700X would have been ideal since the money saved could be used to get a better cooler... Or as stated above the 3900X offers so much more at the cost of just a few FPS... When gaming, the CPU's in this class will have very little impact on performance. Unless you are gaming on ultra low resolutions and settings with a 2080Ti to make the CPU the bottleneck... Normal gaming will almost entirely be GPU-bound with any new 6 core (12 thread) CPU being able to deliver similar performance. IIRC, the 3900X is only single digit % less than the 10900k for gaming, yet it is 30+% better at everything else... and that is a 10900k ("Gaming King" I guess) not the 10700... I just don't get this choice...

If this was a 10600k, maybe.... maybe it would be a good choice... but not the 10700 and certainly not the 10900

QB

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

It was all his own choices based on his own research. But, he's happy...so far. And, as my grandpa would say, "If he's happy, I'm tickled to death." ;)

Trusteft, Calliers and QB71 like this.
  6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Many games require more speed from fewer (or one) cores than more cores. As far as I know single core performance Intel still beats AMD.
    Having said that, I haven't used a 10 line or AMD so that is based on what I hear.

Tipstaff and Dyre Straits like this.
  7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Dyre, which AverMedia card is it? I can look into why it's not running.

Oh, and I'll need to know which Windows version (such as 10 64bit Home, or 10 N)...

8. Judas

In the majority of cases, with utterly nothing else running in the background at all, utterly nothing, intel at their best, and most often well above their spec via whatever methods, will barely inch out amd's 3900/3950 mostly due to that potent single core and because usually ALL the cpu based tests are exclusively running in 720/1080p resolution with lowest possible graphical settings, in addition to almost exclusively using nvidia gpus which are fundamentally built at the driver level to spawn as many threads as possible (recently with restrictions as nvidia discovered they could have too many resulting in performance degradation), with one of those threads being the master and pointed to run on the fastest core.

Additionally if you remove the 0.1 and 1% maximum frame rates obtained by these testing methods, you discover that the average results are often caused by irrelevant high frame rate data that inflates them, example being that staring at a mostly blank skybox for even half a second combined with mostly blank walls or anything with next to no graphical intensity at all results in skyrocketed frame rates, where as amd's cpu produce a fraction of the frame rates in comparison even if they are well over 300fps, intel with the nvidia gpu are spitting well into the realms of 500-1000+, and over the course of the benchmark's run time, the averages can see anywhere from 1% to as much as a 15% increase over amd's offerings even though amd's other metrics can sometimes be similar or better (minimums for example often favouring amd in more realistic testing situations).

Run the same tests with realistic graphical settings and resolutions, and the advantage mostly disappears, if not entirely, specially in minimums, making the claim that "intel is still the gaming king" rather invalidated. If someone was being a competitive CS:GO player, perhaps, otherwise no.

Now start throwing additional background applications into the mix and coincidentally, minimums/averages for gaming start to heavily slide towards AMD's offerings, specially for the 3900x and 3950x even with nvidia's gpus. Those that actually do play while streaming on the same system see the best results with amd's cpus doing cpu based encoding of the stream with room to spare for what is to come.

Add to this in the very near future, or rather starting about 6 months ago, physics engines are arriving that are entirely cpu based, Take for example Epic's Chaos Physics Engine. It's already in i believe 2 games but the one game it's only minimally implemented. The engine is designed to leverage lots of cpu cores/threads, and the potential of what it can show is nothing short of what we should have seen coming when the first dual cores started arriving. Sadly with nvidia buying up physx, they completely threw physics in games off the rails and we've not seen any decent improvement in this for over a decade and a half.

Either way, in any deep analytic method, all of intel's 10 series offer no competition, they are still being premiumly priced above amd's offerings while performing worse or even significantly worse with ONLY games have basically little difference.

9. Dyre Straits

I'll have to get back to you on this. I haven't talked to him about it for a couple of days now. He works VERY late week nights.

I do know we installed Windows 10 x64 Pro....but, as of our last conversation, he had not activated it as yet. (We're thinking this MAY have something to do with it, but, I'm inclined to think it isn't that.) It was working just fine on the previous setup for him...and I had used it prior to passing it along to him.

EDIT: The card is the C027_MCS and the latest drivers I downloaded for my system for it 1.7.9.91.15030401_Drv_1.54.x.82_150317 from 1/12/2016. But, these are no longer installed on my system. Just the dated download.

https://www.newegg.com/avermedia-c027-video-capture-editing/p/N82E16815100049#

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. Dyre Straits

UPDATE: For testing purposes, my son removed the C027 from his system and wanted me to test it in my own. However, in MY system, I don't have an empty PCIe slot to use. So, I plugged it into a PCIex slot and my PC recognizes it just fine. Drivers and App installed just fine.

BUT, I cannot get a video signal when attempting to use the HDMI input/output. My connected monitor is dead. I do get a message warning about HDCP. But, as far as I know, my system is HDCP compliant. Even so, I changed the video from Automatic to Video Mixed Renderer....or something along that line. Even so, the monitor stays off. I've tried manually turning it on without success.

At any rate, there were no conflicts installing the drivers and the app works just fine. Would be nice to see video in the preview AND get the connected monitor to turn on properly.

UPDATE: I have gotten an image - blue screen - when not connecting an output HDMI to the card. And, I can view video files I've previously recorded.

After a bit of re-configuring things, I did record a short session of gaming off the XBOX.

On another note: The card is suppose to support 1080...but, everything is being recorded at 720. My son told me that, when he used it in his previous system, it was limited to 720, also.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  11. Judas

pci and pci-ex slots are NOT interchangable... so that part about plugging it into a pci slot due to not having a pci-ex slot free ..... Then again you're using a ryzen system, which means that you have no pci slots thus you have pci-ex slots...

12. Dyre Straits

Corrected.

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yeah, the DC HD card only does up to 1080i.

Edit: BTW, it's also a PCIe 1x card.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Dyre Straits likes this.