Former Microsoft Exec warns PCs will soon become undesirable to consumers.

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by n.j.coleman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. n.j.coleman

n.j.coleman New Member

Read Full Story Here.

Ray Ozzie, who stepped down as Microsoft's chief software architect in 2010, has stated:
    "People argue about 'are we in a post-PC world?'. Why are we arguing? Of course we are in a post-PC world. That doesn't mean the PC dies that just means that the scenarios that we use them in, we stop referring to them as PCs, we refer to them as other things"

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Was he one of the geniuses behind the new tablet os known as windows 8?

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Or maybe people will stop calling Windows for Windows, now that they are supposed to not be running programs in a window anymore. ;)

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Tiles 9 :lol:

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well. since I slowly (due to drm) I turn more and more away from PC gaming, and I rather have an Apple as my next computer, when I can, I don't care that much what they call it. But, I still find it stupid, boring and annoying to read, in one form or the other, about the death of the PC (or similar), due to a smaller factor computing device selling shitload of units. Just before the tablet systems and "smart" phones (the post ipad versions anyway), we had the other "killer", the netbooks and thin laptops, before them there were the then mobile phones, before that the laptops,etc.
    Everything is such a load of marketing bullshit, it makes me want to throw up.

6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I can't imagine not having a desktop PC for the foreseeable future. There's nothing that is as easy to work on for creating documents, graphics, editing etc. I really can't see how these kinds of task are going to translate to tablets. Windows 8! - well, I have a real feeling that OS is going to fail hard. It doesn't have any focus - still seems like 2 unrelated OS's stuck together & Metro might look OK on a 10" screen but on a 24" desktop it looks flat and boring.

7. RobertBruce

RobertBruce Active Member

All the portable devices -tablets and phones - are great for viewing things. Not so much for producing anything. The pc box on your desk still has a lot of years of use left in it.

8. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn New Member

AW: Former Microsoft Exec warns PCs will soon become undesirable to consumers.

I will still have a stationary powerful desktop *and* something mobile for quite a while yet, 5 years at least, which means at least one more desktop PC after the current one.

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

do they even think before spewing garbage like that, or does it just come out uncontrollably?

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

this is lol-able...

Short of making portable or other computer PC (since even a smartphone is just a pc nowadays)..... able to be interfaced without a keyboard mouse and be as easy to use and create material on .. or easier than modern at home desktops....

no

11. The Captain

The Captain Active Member

Guys, I think you're forgetting that the majority of people aren't like us. They don't care about having a multi-purpose machine that can do anything. All they really care about is email, Facebook, YouTube, etc. If they can do those things on an iPad or other such device, then they don't really want or need a full-fledged PC.

Like the rest of you, I cannot see a time when I, personally, will not require PC of some kind.

12. Judas

well lets just take my sister for example...

my youngest sister essentially lives on her android phone..... it is for all intents and purposes pretty much a miniature PC..... lots of functions and capabilities....

While she does love it and cannot afford a computer..... presented with the option and funds to buy one.... definitely would.

It is not at all uncommon for her to at any oppertunity, to sit down and use a laptop/desktop when available either, such as borrowing mine or my sisters or what have you.

While majority of the population is sitting on smartphones, a good chunk of which also have laptops... i agree desktops aren't exactly a booming area....

A few that have used laptops exclusively for awhile now actually have gone back to desktops simply due to being a more reliable breed, less troublesome. Easier to fix and keep clean and just do their own maintence on it. While they still have their smart phone and laptop, they prize their desktop.

13. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

the only way for desktop PCs as we know it to die for ALL its current users would be to beef up communications standards to the point that someone can wirelessly communicate with some super powerful server that can process our heavy tasks and send it back to us on a lightweight handheld device in the same speed i can do it on my computer...

but to make some distant server as snappy and responsive as our beloved desktops sounds like an unobtainable dream... but if we can actually make our wireless systems transfer data with supremely low latency... something like the speed of a wired video signal from a card to the monitor, we MIGHT actually have something there...

though it sounds like we would be cooking ourselves with radiation before we even beat a wire..

but until we can beat a wire, there will always be a need for a powerful desktop PC for the heavy computing user.

14. Judas

actually i think what will oventually happen is that everyone will end up with a fairly powerful machine in their house that can handle all the tasks that our portable ones do..... including rendering games/projects and whatever we have.. it'll act as the central hub and server and main processing of everything with all the light way details on the mobile products.

15. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Something has changed at one time, the desktop computer really was the only game in town, laptops were inferior & expensive, and portable devices such as we have now were the stuff of sci-fi.

As a gaming platform, the PC is being challenged by consoles, where the standardized hardware means no difficulat compatibility questions.
    As a communication platform, the desktop is challenged by laptops, netbooks, tablets, even internet enabled TV and net-top boxes.

In the new reality, if you don't know why you need a traditional PC, you probably don't need one.

16. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Well said, I believe you can even scrap the 'probably'.