Forum problems ?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Ok the administration staff have spend the last week fixing most of the changeover problems people where having and we think we have nailed most if not all of them.

If anyone is experiencing problems or has anything that is not working the way they think it should be please post in this thread.

Thanks and I hope you are all enjoying the new changeover.

2. merry

merry gargouille

1. The edit function doesn't work reliably. After editing a message, I see the edited text and the 'edited by' bit, but later I get the old text, without 'edited by etc.' This happened before this thread started, so maybe it's already been fixed.

2. The 'size' function (post reply screen) always returns 'size=4' (even if you choose 'huge').

3. I don't seem to be subscribed by default to the threads I post to anymore, and I found that very useful in the past.

4. Also, the 'sent' PMs aren't there anymore, it's useful to keep record of what you send.

These said, great work, I find the site better looking than before.

Cheers,

merry

3. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

1. What OS/ browser are you using? edit function is working fine for me? make sure it's not caching the old pages,

2. I too noticed huge set's to 4, using[ size=15 ]text here[/ size ] will work, experiment with different size values.

3. Subscribed threads works for me too, check through the user options carefully you may find an option in there that is over riding it. (looking at your account "Use email notification by default" is set to NO.)

4. Choose 'sent messages' in the drop down list, and they should all be there, along with message tracking - v. handy.

craig5320

4. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

[size ] tags use CSS values, ie, x-small, small, 16px, 24px. I haven't updated the way vb's js inputs it, as it was originally set to use <font size=""> tags, which i have updated to <span style=""> tags. I'll look into it

5. merry

merry gargouille

1. ie6/win2k, ie5/nt4... (I post from several comps@work). The edit stuff only happened once, my post in this thread the last phrase kept apearing somewhere in the middle of the post. I'm not 100% sure how it looked when it was posted (the paste thing can be tricky, especially when you're in a rush), but I edited that at least twice in the following days, it first showed the edited message (and the 'edited by' bit), but the following day it was back to where it started, so I'd have to edit that again. It finally settled on the date listed currently in the post.

It didn't happen again. Maybe it was cache related, but posting from several computers kinda works against this, and anyway, after you edit a post, you are shown the new look of the page, which should overwrite the cached page (having the same URL).

2. That's what I did, I just thought you might want to know about it.

3. I can't find anything in the options page. It's not the email notification, I want that disabled - imagine what that might do to your box if you subscribe to very active threads.

In the past, I was susbscribed automatically to any thread I posted to, and I seem to remember profile option related to this (sthing like 'subscribe by default' - not sure). It made for a list of the threads I'd posted to and that had been susequently active, to display in my profile page (can you make anything of this phrase...). Which was very handy.

Now it seems that, in order for this to happen, I must check a box (located next to the 'post reply' button). Which I always forget to do.

4. Thanks. It works now. Still, messages sent before the forum change are lost.

Please note that I'm not complaining about these things, nor am unhappy about them in any way. I think you're doing a great job keeping this forum up and running, and improving it all the time. I wrote all this thinking it might be helpful for you to know, I didn't even expect a reply - which, btw, am thankful of having received.

Cheers,

merry

6. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

The sent messages sent before the forum changeover were never saved before, so i couldn't import messages from thin air :p

7. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Your work may be running a cache that makes this happen. I run SQUID cache for our network @ work :)

8. Shaith

Shaith New Member

proxies

Any time you run a proxy server that caches (many offices do) you're going to experience minor problems if the server doesn't follow the NOCACHE directive.

9. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

In your options menu there should be this option:

'Use 'Email Notification' by default?
    Using this option emails you whenever someone replies to a thread that you have participated in.'

as you can see by the description it gives it should sort you out. I have it set to yes, and I don't recieve a mail about every thread, lol that would be crazy mailbox busting, heh

craig5320

10. merry

merry gargouille

Thanks all

11. Louie6666

Louie6666 Just One Sick-Lizard

I've used this bit on 3 of my posts today but can't see the images!

Attach file:
    Maximum size: 1048576 bytes
    Valid file extensions: gif jpg png txt zip bmp

I know their, there as if i try to repeat process or edit post it tells me that there present..help

12. Shaith

Shaith New Member

attachment uploads must be approved by a mod or admin before they're available. If your attachment has been hanging around for awhile without being approved, ask a mod in that forum to look into it for you.

13. Louie6666

Louie6666 Just One Sick-Lizard

Thanks shaith :)

14. One of the Twelve

One of the Twelve New Member

All my yesterday's posts are vanished - or are they?? I think the frontpage explains this a bit (?)

15. Shaith

Shaith New Member

yup, they're gone.

16. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

What? It's fixed now?

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.