FPS-obsessed?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by anonemus, May 8, 2009.

1. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

I run FRAPS at Windows boot-up. I constantly look at it while gaming.

Am I obssessed with FPS? Am I the only one?

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

You have a 7900GS, that's not a gamers card so you shouldn't have a gamers worries.

There are only a few times where I obsess over FPS constantly looking at my G15 readout or with fraps/rivatuner:

- I'm concerned about the performance impact of new graphics drivers
    - I installed a new video card, cpu or ram and want to see how much faster my games run.
    - A game is pushing my hardware to the limits and I'm looking for the most playable settings to enjoy

The only other time I constantly checked FPS was during online gaming especially in competitive play where you care about your fps and lag because that affects your skills.

In my medical opinion I think you don't fit any of the above criteria and thus I prescribe two doses of computer upgrades (cpu and video card) and once your FPS is in the hundreds you won't give a damn anymore :D

3. anonemus

I strongly disagree! The 7900GS is a respectable gamers card....centuries ago! :D

(This is way better than the 7600GT I was using last month, the X1600XT a month before that, and the 6600GT two months ago)

FRAPS helped me notice the difference when I OCd my 2.5Ghz proc to 3.8Ghz and when I OCd my 7900GS by 20%. Was able to play FC2 at 1440x900 from low to medium settings at average FPS of 30...

4. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

not bad for such an oldish card but i think the doctor in the previous post is right it might be time for an upgrade of GF card and CPU;)

5. anonemus

Yup, I know. I'm saving for an HD4770, the current king of budget gamer's card :) As for the proc, I think it can hold its candle with others above its price range:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Techgage - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Yep, I certainly turn FRAPS on quite a bit, especially when starting a game I have just bought in order to configure the game for my fps "sweet spot" which is near constant 60fps with vsync engaged.

Anyway, at the moment there is nothing wrong with a budget Dual Core and the E5200 is a decent chip but as time moves on and QC becomes standard for devs to optimise for, it'll be left behind. Still, you'll get a couple more years out of it yes, which is more than I can say for that graphics card!

Edit: I liked how you didn't post the other benchmark on that page (The HL2 Ep2 one), and I don't blame you, haha! of course that does show one thing, if you intend on gaming past around 1920 x 1080, it is better to invest money on Graphics rather than the CPU as all games become GPU limited at high resolutions.

7. anonemus

I was actually gaming on P4 641 3.2Ghz (Cedar Mill) OCd to 4Ghz when I upgraded to the 45nm E5200 barely a month ago. I'm giving this proc 6-12 months and then I'm moving to a QC.

I didn't bother with HL2:EP2 as everything was above 60fps :)

[​IMG]

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i haven't really used fraps at all

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I never care what my FPS are. As long as it looks absolutely smooth I am happy.

10. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

v sync ftw

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

indeed vsync is a useful function

12. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

same, smooth is more important for me. Fraps is useful when at times I cannot tell if it's the fps causing problems or some form of issue with drivers/software and hardware.

13. anonemus

Just as I suspected. I'm needlessly obsessing on FRAPS. I try to enable v-sync as much as possible, especially when gaming with older titles.

Thanks for the replies folks :)

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I never bothered with V-sync until I got this lcd and now it is absolutely required in all games otherwise the tearing is horrible. It doesn't seem to affect the fps even in games that push my frames down below 60.

15. anonemus

I just realized after reading the replies that the reason my Fraps score never went beyond 60 (especially on older games) is because I enabled v-sync on my LCD monitor. Disabling it makes page tearing really horrible like you said, Omega.