Frames pop-ups and MX

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by URWORSTENEMY, Jun 3, 2003.

1. URWORSTENEMY

URWORSTENEMY nme

Hi guys, not normally in this section, so here goes . . .

Ive decided to design a homepage/small web site for my son :)
    Im using Dreamweaver MX and have just encountered my first problem :(
    Ive created a home page which is split into 3 frames.

Frame 1 contains the site heading
    Frame 2 contains the navigation buttons, and
    Frame 3 contains the main text frame

My probleim is . . .
    My navagation buttons link to a page which is displayed within the main text frame [Frame 3]
    Within the page that is displayed in [Frame 3 there is another text link to a separate site.
    When this link is clicked Frame 3 displays that site.
    However, the site that is displayed throws up a pop-up window as well as the site window (which correctly displays in Frame 3)
    Even when i click away the pop up window if i return to the Navagation buttons to select any other section, that window doesnt open where it should (ie Frame 3) but opens in a new window outside of the frameset!!!
    Dreamweaver seems to think that the pop up window is now Frame 3 :(
    The site totally screws up. It opens new windows for each section selected when pressing any of the navigation buttons :(

Any help much appreciated guys :)

PS: The navigation buttons are all set to target Frame 3 but this pop up seems to confuse things :(

:cool:
    nme

2. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

I would recommend using tables or layers to make your layout. Frames are really a pain to use. If you insist on using frames, check the targets of your links and the names of your frames. Personally, I haven't used Dreamweaver in a long time, so I might not be of much help. Worse comes to worse, you can send it to me or post the code and I can probably fix it.

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Yeah - no frames :)

4. URWORSTENEMY

URWORSTENEMY nme

Im really not too good with Dreamweaver guys and i cant see any other way of
    creating a site layout with static top and left hand frames :(
    Im aware of layers and tables but my knowledge of MX is limited and im not
    sure how to use layers or tables as frames :(

I will upload what i have completed on the site today and send you guys the url to see exactly my problem :)

Thx

:cool:
    nme

5. wufong

wufong 涌现从薄雾

If it's any help nme, I'm currently using the Dreamweaver tutorials to coach myself.....they are pretty good I'm at quite a basic stage mind, everything is step by step explained (sorry, bad grammar!).....only problem is you have to have time on your hands to do it!:sigh: ;)

6. EmXtrix

EmXtrix New Member

It's cool, no worries. One step at a time. I think that frames is an excellent place to start for beginners, and it gets a basic site done properly. Give me some code to look at and I'll help you fix it up.