Free MTS (AVCHD) editor?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by TheAscension, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good quality, free MTS editor? I've been trying to use avidemux but it's not going well. I use avidemux for other video files and it works great, but with AVCHD it totally chokes.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

2. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

what kind of a container do you use for the AVCHD codec and what format is the audio encoded in...?

3. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

Container: .MTS
    Audio: AC-3

4. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

What exactly are you trying to do TheAscension? Have you ever played with MEGUI?

5. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

Nope, I've never heard of it. I will definately give it a try. Thanks!

My video camera records in AVCHD (.mts container) and I am trying to cut certain sections out of the video file. For example, when I record my band playing live I would like to cut certain songs out of the show footage and upload them to YouTube.

6. [hobo]eclipse

i dont think you'll be able to go that with megui, i believe it is really only for re-encoding and remuxing of files to different codecs and containers.

the video and audio are handled separately (encoded to the size and spec of your choice) then muxed into the container of choice. i dont see how to cut an actual part of the vid out using megui.

this is not something i do often but i have done some .avi editing with virtual dub, but it is a lil old and im not sure it'll work with the avc material. sry i couldn't be of more help.

EDIT

Something you could do for a a work around in to re-encode the mts with megui to say xvid for the video and the audio to .mp3 then use the avi muxer in the tools drop down menu to package them to an avi of your complete recording, then edit that .avi in avi demux, creatin the snippets you are after.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  7. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

Yeah, I just tried megui and you are right. It is only for re-encoding (no editing capabilities). It did play back the video but it was very slow and choppy, just like avidemux.

Regardless, thank you for the suggestion.

8. GigaWatt

you could always use an AviSynth scrip... ;)

1. install avisynth

2. open a text file and change the name to MyScrip.avs

3. open the .avs file in a text editor (notepad for example)

4. write the following text in the notepad:

DirectShowSource("C:\MyMovie.MTS")

5. save the .avs file with CTRL+S

6. open up the MyScrip.avs file with any kind of video editor, player or converter (AutoGK, GordianKnot, WMP, Media Plyer Classic, Windows Movie Maker, Nero Movie Maker... you name it :D), and just extract anything you need from the video file (just the video, just the audio, etc.).

PS: you would have to have the correct filters installed (the file has to be playable via any DirectShow capable player) so that you can use this AviSynth scrip... ;)

EDIT: i forgot to mention... LOL :D... the names of the .avs scrip and the location of the movie in the script are just an example, you have to point to the right location of the movie... ;)... the script file on the other hand can be named however you like and can be placed wherever you like... ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  9. [hobo]eclipse

out of curiosity, does the .mts play well for you on your pc with you media player of choice? how big and how long (time) is the .mts file your working with? what resolution is it? would it be worth it for you to re encode the video to 720p, 8000+ kbps with x264 2 pass and remux it and the original ac3 into an .mkv?

10. GigaWatt

meeeeeh... large mkv files are hard to mux... even hareder to demux... especially if the file is larger than 4GB... :S

i would suggest to put it in an avi container if the file is larger than 4GB... most of the muxers and demuxers of avi files (VirtualDub, AVIDemux, etc.) support avi files larger than 4GB...

and about the reencoding into h264... good idea... ;)... not supported by standalone DVD players, but hey, you can't have all your eggs in one basket... LOL :D

11. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

the .mts file play fine on my media player of choice. It's only when I play them in a editor that they choke, or rather the editing software chokes on them. The files can be anywhere from 10 seconds, to 2 hours.

I'd rather just convert them to .avi with xvid or divx. But ultimately I'd like to just take a section out of the .mts file and convert it to .avi without having to convert the entire .mts file. This is what is so great about avidemux, but alas... it doesn't handle these files very well.

.mts file resolution is 1440x1080

12. GigaWatt

make a .avs script as i described in my previous post and open the script with VirtualDubMod, cut out any segment you like, save it into an .avi container and convert it into any codec you like, or just disable processing mode and dub the selected part... ;)

13. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

you for got to say that it's not freeware ;) the OP is looking for freeware product not commercial one ...

14. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Since this thread is old and the OP has made his mind I'll now close this thread.

Thread Closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.