French students to get open-source software on USB key

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: ComputerWorld

The sticks will give the students, ages 15 and 16, the freedom to access their e-mail, browser bookmarks and other documents on computers at school, home, a friend's house or in an Internet cafe -- but at a much lower cost than providing notebook computers for all, a spokesman for the Greater Paris Regional Council said Friday.

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Anytime you point one of things at a student they are going to throw their hands up and surrender... :p

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ah yes, the hilarious french stereotype... :sigh:

On a more serious note, I find that's a good thing for the goverment to do. Must cost them a fortune though!

4. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I wonder why they don't save a little money and just host the files online for students to download?

5. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well I dunno... Maybe because everyone in France doesn't have the internet? The files might be too big for 56kers and other people with small bandwith? The servers would get totally decimated by those many users?

I think they took the logical route... Hosting files isn't cheap from what I know :lol:

6. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

It just seems like a lot of physical resources to manufacture all that stuff, I guess.

I wonder if a CD would be more effective / resource efficient?

7. heffeque

heffeque New Member

That's an interesting statement there taking into consideration that French people have faster internet connections than in the States LOL. Their 30 Mbps cable connection costs 19.90 euros and 100 Mbps for 29.90 euros. Most DSL connections in France are 24 Mbps although in big cities 60 Mbps DSL connections are starting to be deployed costing 29.90 euros. And last but not least, there's an FTTH service starting to roll in Paris that's 100 symmetrical Mbps for 79 euros. Not bad at all. It's curious how the States is only starting with FiOS giving 5 Mbps for 39.99 dollars, 15 Mbps for 49.99 dollars and 30 Mbps for 179.99 dollars... Doesn't that seem a little bit expensive? And let's not talk about Comcast... LOL. Heck! Even Spain has better connections. More that 80% of the population have access to ADSL2+ connections (up to 24 Mbps) for 29.95 euros and Ono (Spain's biggest cable ISP) will be starting to give 25 Mbps for 45 euros this summer.

Let's make a new stereotype: Open source is for French people! LOL! (And since they're prowd of it, the government gives open source programs in pen drives for free :rofl:) This new stereotype will make Micro$oft and Apple users happy :D

8. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I live next to them and I've used their net... Yes, they get BLOODY fast internet but because of the cheapness, at certain times of day they loose it all... And honestly, quality sucked imho :(

Honestly, I haven't met a frenchie yet who says he likes his countries ADSL2+ service :wtf:

9. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

It just seems like it would waste less physical resources if people simply downloaded them instead.

10. heffeque

heffeque New Member

I gess in Europe in general we never like what we have and always complain about everything even if it's not that bad. My grandma from Landisville (Lancaster, PA) has Comcast (6 Mbps) and it's not that great compared to my current 4 Mbps cable connection (soon to be 25 Mbps). Good thing she only uses it for emails and reading some online news and not for gamming LOL!

11. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well I mean, I live in Switzerland and I only got 3.5mb... :lol: Yet usually swiss people don't complain, though that might be because they don't have much of a spine...

Yet, from what I know, French DSL is iffy... But don't quote me, that's what people say :rofl:

12. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

s****** I pay 38 € for 2048/512 service ... and the 24/1 Mbps cost 50€

13. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Here I was feeling all good about having 1.5/384k and it looks to be very slow by comparison to others.