Fry's Electronics...Going Consignment...Stores Going Empty

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, May 23, 2020.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

This could likely be posted in Industry News. And, it might have been and I missed it.

But, my son and I use to enjoy the 45-60 minute drive to Fry's Electronics on a weekend afternoon.

WOW! What a huge letdown! Previously, we could spend hours browsing the products, comparing prices and notes, and they even had a little coffee shop in the middle of the store.

Not any longer!!!

There were very few cars in the parking lot our last trip. And, even fewer shelves with stock to browse.

What is going on? Are they going out of business?

Well, not yet...at least according to Fry's.

What they are doing is changing their business model. That is, they are going "consignment" only. If this needs explanation, the simple one is: Unless companies send products to them at no cost to Fry's, they won't be getting any new stock. Fry's only has to pay for the product if it sells. And, if it doesn't sell, it can be sent back to the manufacturer.

It is my understanding that Best Buy and Staples works on this business model...as does Wal-Mart.

At any rate, as for my son and myself, that 45-60 minute drive can be spent going elsewhere now. It just isn't worth the time and effort to see the sad state of affairs going on at one of our previously favorite electronics stores in the throes of death.

2. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Another thing which should be mentioned is that brick and mortar stores are living on borrowed time, as younger people who prefer online shopping to going out to stores, grow older, and older people who prefer real life shopping bow out.

I myself can't remember the last time I went out to buy any PC accessory, it was always from the comfort of my own home that I have purchased stuff, in fact I am a Prime member over at Amazon.ca.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I am a Prime Member at Amazon as well. But, I do like the option of seeing the merchandise up close and personal before making the purchase. We also, in various areas here, have problems with some people following around behind the Amazon delivery vehicles and taking things that have been left while the owners are not home.

4. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

See that's where things differ, here in Canada that seldom happens.

And the good thing is, that most of the time wherever you order from your order either gets put in a mailbox, safe from wrongdoers and the elements, or if it is too big then it is given to someone at home. If no one is home they leave a note on your door knob telling you they have been there, and they will either try to deliver it again and at what time they will or where to go and pick it up. Though that rarely happens with us, there is always someone home either upstairs or down.

That's for Canada Post. However for UPS, FedEx, Purolator they deliver to the door always here and require a signature to boot (from an adult).