FxBuses in the DSP and Vista

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by Gramatus, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Gramatus

Gramatus New Member

First off, some more test results - the routing is as described, and I am now monitoring 16 FxBus'es at the same time using the Peak plugin in the DSP.
    I test both six channel-audio and stereo audio and see which FxBus it goes to (consult my earlier posts as to which device connects to which FxBus).

1. With SPDIF/AC3 as default both stereo and 6-channel go to FxBus 0/1
    2. With Master Mixer, stereo goes to FxBus 2/3 and 6-channel to FxBus 2/3/4/5/6/7.
    3. With Wave 2/3 as default, all audio goes to FxBus 2/3 (including all 6 channels of multichannel file)
    4. With Wave 4/5 as default, same as over on FxBus 4/5
    5. With Wave 6/7 as default, stereo sound goes to FxBus 6/7, multichannel sound does not show up on FxBus 0-15) [I have no idea why]

Conclusion is that changing the "default" in Vista sound panel affects which Wave Device sound is routed to.
    For me this was important learning, because when I started using kX I set "default" to 6/7 and got great stereo sound, but when I (as this thread emerged) wanted to get 5.1 sound I could not get Vista to give me that.
    Only when I changed the "default" to Master Mixer did I get the 5.1 sound I wanted.

If there are some other experiments I could do to help figure out what Vista is doing, let me know. I like playing around with things.

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what the default device setting does (sorry I did not explain that). The default setting means that any applications will use that device for audio playback by default.

i.e.
    Some applications do not allow you to choose a device, and as such will use the "default" device (as will Windows sounds, etc).
    Other applications may allow you to choose which device to use (in which case it will use what you choose), but will (usually) use the default device if you have not chosen anything (and usually will have the default Windows device as an option).

Since Wave 0/1 is the only device that is multichannel capable, you have to use it as the default device if you want to play audio with multiple channels (directional audio, etc), and have it output to the correct speakers.

Also, the reason multichannel audio uses different FxBus assignments then does non-multichannel audio (when Wave 0/1 is used for both), is so that you can optionally upmix stereo audio (mp3's, etc) while not effecting (or optionally downmixing) 3D Audio (but as mentioned previously, this (routing of stereo audio with Wave 0/1) appears to be broken in Vista).

BTW: I am not sure why SPDIF/AC3 is listed as a separate device (maybe a bug) in Vista. (I think it would make more sense to be listed as an option under Master Mixer, but, I do not know...).

BTW2: The routing that you used in your most recent testing, is that the default for Vista, or did you set it to match what I posted, or is it the routing from your previous testing, or what (I am not completely sure what you mean by "the routing is as described")?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. Gramatus

Gramatus New Member

Thank you very much for that clarification on what the "default"-setting does, I had not though of it like that (and I usually don't use programs that let you select a device - much less actually do any selection).

The default routing of kX Router in Vista is the same as as you described for XP (I think - I did not write down the old setting before I changed it), I changed my routing so that the 3D-sound stepped up 6 FxBus'es (AC3-left from FxBus 2 to FxBus 8, etc.). That way the devices in kX router listed as "Wave" and those listed as "AC-3/3-D" had their own FxBus'es and I could see what happened.
    The complete list:

Wave 0/1 = FxBus 0/1
    Wave 2/3 = FxBus 2/3
    Wave 4/5 = FxBus 4/5
    Wave 6/7 = FxBus 6/7

AC-3 Left (NW) = FxBus 8
    AC-3 Center (N) = FxBus 12
    AC-3 Right (NE) = FxBus 9
    AC-3 Surround Left (SW) = FxBus 11
    AC-3 Surround Right (SE) = FxBus 10
    AC-3 Subwoofer = FxBus 13

I think I am missing something when you talk about Wave 0/1 being multichannel.
    The device in kX Router that calls itself Wave 0/1 in my setup goes to FxBus 0/1 and does not play anything when Master Mixer is selected. Is this because the device called Wave 0/1 (aka Master Mixer) is called "AC-3/3-D" when choosing FxBus'es for it in multichannel mode?
    When I selected SPDIF/AC3 as the default sound played on FxBus 0/1 which was mapped to Wave 0/1, and all sound played on this one.

I've added another image, showing the connection between devices in Vista sound dialog and kX Router accordring to my experiments. I've given all the devices in kX Router that has a box around it separate FxBus'es (as explained earlier in this post) and monitored wheter there was sound on a given FxBus with the Peak plugin (I guess you remember that part by now).

Attached Files:

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

OK, the thing that had me confused about your routing is that you posted 2 different results for the same routing:

So, I am guessing that you made a mistake with the second one? (since the result should be consistent, and the correct result would be the first one)

As for the multichannel stuff, Wave 0/1 (or Master Mixer) is the device, but the routing (for that device when playing multichannel audio) is what is found in the "AC-3 / 3-D" section of kX Router. --- Or if this makes more sense to you: There is no Master Mixer device in WinXP (or not in the same way... it is what the Windows Mixer calls itself when set to kX Wave 0/1), the default device is Wave 0/1 and it works just like Master Mixer is working for you (except for the broken stereo routing).

BTW: I am also wondering what the default Vista routing is because xenomorph1138 did some testing (in another thread) and it appeared that his routing was a little different (but we couldn't be sure that he didn't accidentally change it somehow).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  5. Gramatus

Gramatus New Member

Actually, the second quote was the results before I changed the routing to split multichannel signals from other signals.
    And yes, that makes perfect sense to my testings.
    Seems like I finally understand both how to route the sound as I want and why it is working the way it does in Vista.

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ahh, OK, that makes more sense. :cool:

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

'moved - wrong thread' :s