G71

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by SFOSOK, Sep 1, 2005.

1. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Gamespot announced a while back the G71 (probably 7800Ultra) has been able to reach a core clock speed of about 800MHz. It will also probably have 512 mem on board. I seriously do not believe ATI could even begin to get anywhere near a card that can clock that high...

Here is the links

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Video-Cards-F-9-9-x-x

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24661

Just kind of a update (dunno if anyone posted this already or not, feel free to close it if someone has).

2. Firstperson

Firstperson What?

I though I just read something that they where clocking the R580 around thats but one 1 out of 5 where good coming from the press

3. Bowen

Bowen New Member

I think the R520 will be able to clock fairly high. The latest rumors are that the R520 XT will be clocked between 500 and 700MHz, and it has 16 pipes. The Inq says it will perform very close to what the G70 performs out. They didn't say which is faster. IMO, for the R520 to be worth it, it would have to peform at least 15% better than the G70. I don't think it will get close to this!

I think the R520 will be only slightly faster than the G70 at best. I also think the G71 will probably be around 15% faster than the R520. The R580 on the other hand will almost definitely be faster than the G71. It's back and forth with ATi and nVidia and even if the R520 is just amazing (which I highly doubt) nVidia has easily won this year. Even if ATi came out with the R520 on Tuesday, ATi only has 3 months left in this year to make money. Of course that's not the fiscal year but even so, I believe nV has 2005 virtually unopposed!

I am waiting on the R520 or rather I'm waiting until Tuesday. After than I'm buying an eVGA G70! Then I'll use their trade up program and buy a G71! nVidia will likely have the last laugh this year with the G71!

4. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Unless ATI gets the same amount of pipes, they are going down. I really don't see how ATI can win. Late sales in everything (X800GT/Crossfire/X800XL/etc...), half the pipes and nothing on the market. NV seems to have the upper hand again

(and just for your info, I am no fanboy)

5. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Doesn't it just piss you off though! Here's where I'm coming from... It's ok if the R520 is slower, or faster...I don't care. I want to buy the fastest single card I can get. It's very uncool to hype up a card and then delay it repeatedly. Wouldn't you be really pissed off if you actually wait for ATi...say until the end of October or first of November. I say that because that's likely when it will actually be released. Anyway...you wait all the time and then you buy the mighty R520 to find out that it's only 1 to 2% faster or even worse, it's equal or slower than the G70! Even if you didn't buy it but waited to see the benches, you'd still be outraged, wouldn't you? I know I'd be livid! By that same token, I'll be just as pissed off if by some chance the R520 is the 9700 of 2005. I truly don't believe it will be but if it was, I'd be upset.

I'll still be a little pissed if it's even slightly faster. It's just that they aren't saying ANYTHING "officially" so we just don't know. It's this big top secret thing that we're lead to believe it's worth waiting for. Well in an investors meeting, the CEO of ATi, Dave Orton himself said that the R520 "should" be faster than the G70 "IF" they can lock down the clock speeds AND if nVidia doesn't release a refresher product. In other words, the R520 will likely be equal to the G70 and it's almost certain that nVidia will be releasing the G71 and in that case it will beat the R520. SCREW ATi...I'm sick of their B.S.!!! :mad:

6. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Well, if you're hoping for an NVIDIA like launch for the R520, you better wait til the next generation, because the yields are not favouring ATI. It's ok though. Their need for a dual-slot cooling solution and delays remind me of the FX5800 days. Everybody has their down time, and its ATI's turn. :)

7. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Yeah I read that when they posted it the other day. Yet another reason why I'm buying a G70! The R580 is the card to beat though but it won't be out until next year despite the fact that it's already been taped out. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25802 Another team was working on the R580. Anyway I'm buying an eVGA G70 and then using their trade up program seems to be the best course of action.

8. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

well firstly 16 pipes is not half of 24. lets look at it technically. lets say the R520 is 16 pipes..... two in crossfire would make a 32 pipe system, this would not be as fast as a 7800GTX in SLI, as they would be 24x2=48. However is everyone forgetting for SLI to be truly effective and to even work in the first place you need a driver profile? there is a very small percentage of SLI enabled driver profiles currently available. therefore it looks like nvidia will have the market for single card use and ATI for dual....... but this is of course all theory until the actual specifications and testing results hit the net. I for one am watching Driverheaven closely as I see Zardon has posted in the news forum they are already testing a crossfire system......... DH seems to always get the ATI goodness first.

9. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I'm not changing but yeah, this is getting silly from ATI... Too many problems and it's like the 5800 all over again as No_style said so!

Wait and see... Wait and see...

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

5800 wasn't so much a supply problem but the worst card nvidia made
    in a verry long time. Also a changes in the way they do bussness, ethics,
    tatics and so forth Nvidia took a whole dirrent turn from where they were
    4600TI and lower. It hard to compair anything unless you thinking ati is
    rooling out the 9800se as R520 or something :D . 5800fx was a complete
    and total disaster, it would be hard to compair anything to it.

R580 is already tapped out and MFG problem free I might add, all of ati card
    this round sound like went off with out a hitch except R520 hit a MFG
    problem. Not bad at all since thier moveing thier lineup 90NM top to bottom..
    R520 was a magor snag though... But after it's released it will be replaced by
    R580 as the top card in thier lineup, by the leap in model number you can assume
    a magor leap in card. G70 still useing 110NM and is finnaly (after ATI used it for
    years) useing the low-K they called dangerious .

The rumord have been 600-700 mhz for R520 and you can assume
    24pipes and at lest 2 more vertex shaders... completely resigned
    memory controler and so forth... R580 is "rumored" to have 32 pipes...

Actually the release time frame it just like last year, its what I've
    always thought the date would be though early estamations were flying.
    last year ATI released their cards around september. This year same thing,
    so other then wishfull thinking and speculation by ATI and fans it's been
    "regular".

R520, R580 and G71 remains to be seen but why do we insist on speculating
    based mosly on rumor? It hard to pick threw the baseless and based rumor.
    All it does is keep you discussing ati & nvidia guessing the future VS a more
    productive use of our time. like gameing :lol:

We can argure till our faces turn blue, we don't have bit 3/100th
    the info we need untill the actuall spec roll out and we actually see
    relese dates, supplies, aviabilty and so forth

onlt time will tell, how many time must we pointlessly argure?

(I don't like sites like in INQ, though there a mogor rumor mill and are
    often fed tidbit by nvidia and ati , they are 90% of the time NV leaning
    to down right sound like flameing NV fanboys threw an artical togeather
    some times, not good for a news source, i think it come down to the artilcal
    writers but the editors should know bettor.)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  11. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

what do you mean its the 5800 all over again? are you meaning its the reverse situation for ATI this time? well I think thats a weird analogy. the 5800 was a total disaster, loud, underpowered and a marketing disaster. ATI have yet to release anything so its hard to base hardware only on "rumour", right? surely thats logical.

12. Bowen

Bowen New Member

I believe certain rumors though because other sites agree. That is..the latest rumors...especially from the Inq, are supporting others and other sites are saying the same thing so I tend to believe it. Ya know the Inquirer is not the same Inquirer that you see on stands at grocery stores. It's an entirely different entity and the news I've read from them have been at least 90% true. If a certain source isn't reliable they'll say it's not. The Inq were right on last year with the 6800 and the X800 among other things, so I tend to trust them!

13. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ya well I got nothing to do but analyse a german text... And from time to time, I'd like posting my own theories! :D

Time will tell of course... Time will tell...

14. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Well as far as theories go, I think the R520 will be about equal to the G70. I think the R580 is the one to get! The R520 is only a stop gap so to speak. It has a new memory controller and supports PS3.0 and SM 3.0 blah blah blah but I think it's a mix of old and new architecture. Because of that, it's slower than it should be. ATi said that they didn't compromise and didn't leave out any new tech. I totally think they are lying about that. It's nothing that will get ATi in trouble so it's no biggie. I believe the R520 in it's original state is what the R580 is now!

The R520 was taped out around November of 2004. Had it been the card it was intended to be then it would be the R580. Since they had so many problems with it, they needed allot more time to get something working. I don't think the R520 will suck but it's not going to be worth talking about either. For this reason, ATi will get shouted at by pretty much everyone and it will even drive some of the die-hard loyalists to nVidia! Well, that's my theory.

15. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I'm only comparing ATI's current situation to NVIDIA's FX5800 situation on certain levels, not in its entirity.

For example, NVIDIA's FX5800 was not a total disaster simply because they were toying with too many new technologies at the time. Sound familiar? ATI is toying with new technologies as well. As with most things in the technology world, new technologies brings problems. However, once the 6 series came out, NVIDIA took what they learned from their 5 series problems and went away with it. :) Now, with the 7 series.. c'mon let's face it. When was the last time, you had a launch and availability (in mass quantity) on the SAME day. :D Hell, I bought my BFG 7800GT, the day it was launched!

Here's another tidbit to toss around your head. Seeing how much more energy efficient the 7 series cards are, what would 90 nm R520's bring to the table? We're already hearing dual slot cooling solutions.

P.S - I was a long time ATI user, however when the time came for me to get a new rig. (I had buyers for my old rigs) Only NVIDIA had the great bang/buck cards around. Same goes for my AMD purchases, was a long time Intel user, but heat problems and inefficiencies on Intel's part made AMD much more appealing.

16. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Yeah and to make things worse, the R520 XL (slower variant) is supposed to come out first according to the last ATi roadmap at Anandtech. The R520 XT (top of the line) was supposed to come out a month later. The XL was supposed to be released in mid September I believe and the XT mid October. Since the date have slipped again, that probably means that the XT won't be out until at least mid November. However the Inq said that it was supposed to come out (R520 XT) in October in limited quantities. Well if it's the same as last year then you won't be getting a R520 until 2006! Since the R580 is already taped out, you might as well wait for that. You know ATi will do a hard launch like nVidia for that one!

Second to availability I really wonder how it will be truly perform. I can't imagine the R520 being a great performer because it will have to be in order to erase ATi's mistakes so far. If it performs like I think it will, allot of people are going to be very mad for making them wait....FOR THIS? That's what will be said....lol

17. Sandok

Sandok New Member

:lol: I'm the opposite of you mate ;) Still an intel ATI user but wavering... But I got no money to rebuild a kick ass rig like you ;)

18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

The longer ATI waits, the more they lose money. People want to upgrade their system now to prepare for the next gen. games. Nvidia is the only one that can really help them with right now. They are losing a lot of market. No one is going to buy the new ati after just buying a 7800gtx. They would just buy another 7800GTX. I love how Nvidia released the G70 cards because it came together perfectly at the right time (around F.E.A.R.) demo. G71 is dual slot also, could you fit two of those bad boys in your system? Would you even want t if you could? I'm staying with my 7800GTX and overclocking the hell out of it. Then I'll buy another one later
    and overclock the hell out of both, it makes the most sense to me right now.

19. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Yes, I can feel that hate within you. Give in to the Dark side and buy a 7800 GTX and a powerful Sith you will become! Mwahahahaha :evil:

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Why not? The sith were always cooler than the jedi! :D