G71

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by SFOSOK, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bake15

bake15 New Member

i'd like to see the case temps on that thing, 1 x850 kicks out a lot of heat so whats two gonna make and they look to close together for my likeing :eek:
    what psu is that? it looks pretty sweet :)

2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i asked you for a link sometime back as i said i was not sure(bty, that is your 1st source not 'more'). if you would have provided the link then it would have saved everybody involved some time. of course you came across as not being sure yourself so your 'rock' statement is a little inapropriate.
    nice pix bty. it is really helpful when you can actually see it. looks way cool.
    as for you telling other people how to post, that is a little ridiculous. have you tried reading through on of your 'multi posts'? it is tedious at best. i like doing it this way because it keeps issues seperate & you dont have to wade through a lot of stuff you are not interested in.
    bottom line, you post the way you want & let other people post the way they want.

hey neon! did you actually read it? there is absolutely no mention of sli. this board is crossfire only. which means intel is releasing 2vers(at least) of 955, on for sli, & one for crossfire.
    the fact that intel is doing it is a very good thing for ati. & anybody else that is interested in this tech.
    glad i was wrong about crossfire being ati chipset only. that, imo, would have made life very rough for ati.

got a laugh from the last paragraph talking about 'crossfires launch earlier in 05'. ;)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  3. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

There is one problem with that system...

It's Intel not AMD : )

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

appears to be one of the newer "Connect X" "X Connect" models

When you completely unaware of stuff people have been talking about
    and is or has been plasterd on tech news sites, to the point you'd have
    to be under a rock or not looking to completly "miss it". maybe you just concentrateing on nvidia news :D j/k .

It like I didn't find it, it like found me quite bit ago...
    But then again I really get around and I read alot

Yep!

Yes well at lest I don’t do a bunch of post in a row if i did that I'd have a
    good 50,000 posts by now.

It not inappropriate it net etiquette. The only reason you'd do as you as some
    others do is to artificial boost your post count. I one thing to post and response
    then reply to a response that is after your then to respond each in new posts.
    By the same method I could break down one message and get a good 5-6 posts
    out of every 1 post I reply too. Far as I'm considered its no better nor different
    then the purpose of "spamming". It one thing to run out of images or when
    making a realy really long post, or even occaionaly but when it becomes freqently
    your simply trying to boost you post count..

"Its unspokenly frown upon I bet you" If its acceptable heck I'd do it...
    I'll be at 100k before the year up, but i'm sure I'd be banned or
    given a little chat with a moderator long before that :D

I'm not talking about once in a while but when every wer an active thread
    is you see people double and multi posting. Some time quoteing diffrent
    posts. other and more freqently simply adding information that they should
    of used the edit buttion to add.

BTW: I'm not refering to just you

Well their nice and neatly broken by the quote boxes. If it’s hard to read
    because there a lot of writing well not sure what to tell you there.

If I were you this verry well could have been 6 posts... already :D

Well that the 955x, 975x is the one that supports both
    and is "comeing" or in "the works".

side note:
    ECS even has board that will do ATI dual card or nvidia dual card , and will
    do amd or intel, all in the same motherboard. kinda of a one board fits all.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  5. mike2h

mike2h New Member

how about a link to that.

and just to put this to rest, other peoples posting habits are none of your concern neon. as i said, me, & lots of other people do not like to post ridiculously long multi topic posts. it has nothing to do with post count(like who gives a s..t), though you seem to think a lot of it by the amoont of times you brought it up, it is just the way a lot(probaly the majority) like to post. just dont get were you think you can tell people how to post.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  6. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I try allright, sometimes I am in a hurry, I could give less than a crap about post count. I also use two different posts to seperate two different ideas making it easier for someone to quote which Idea they are focusing on. It makes more sense than making one giant post that hops around to and fro losing the average reader's attention after first paragraph. Not trying to attack you Neon, but maybe you should try it my way.

7. Bowen

Bowen New Member

New R520 Info...

Here's some more info regarding the R520. Of course this should be regarded as a rumor until it can be confirmed. That said, I believe it's true!

The specs on the new cards save for the pipelines which should come in 3 flavors 16pp, 24pp and 32pp.

Right now the product lineup is:
    R520 XT

• 512MB RAM
    • ~600 MHz core
    • ~650-700 MHz memory
    • Dual slot cooling
    • Dual DVI
    R520 XL

• 256MB RAM
    • ~500 MHz core
    • ~500 MHz memory
    • Single slot cooling
    • VGA + DVI
    R520 LE

• 256MB RAM
    • ~450 MHz core
    • ~450 MHz memory
    • Single slot cooling
    • VGA + DVI
    R520 XT Crossfire Edition

• 256MB RAM
    • ~600 MHz core
    • ~650-700 MHz memory
    • Dual slot cooling
    • VGA + DVI
    I guess we can expect a Pro version in between there soon.

In the thread at HKEPC linked above (translated) "it is likely that the ATI R520 will change its name to ATI Radeon X1800 series, the estimated release date for the ATI X900 series is early October".
    One of these two names is correct my source says, he didn't want to reveal which one though. The October release date is correct.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?5127

Here's a full on first preview of the R520: http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/r520firstlook-e.htm :drool: :duh: :w00t: :eek:

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

if the xt has more than 16 pipes they have a winner. probably does even if it does have 'only' 16 pipes(wich i doubt).
    will be interesting to see what price points are going to be. & what nvs response will be.

9. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Yeah I honestly don't know what to think. I want more than 16 pipes because despite how fast it's clocked even with 16, like it's been said...that is not a G70 killer! I have no doubt in my mind that a 16 pipe R520 XT will beat a G70 card but not by that much. A 24 or 32 pipe card though would totally dominate at those speeds. It would more than what the 9800 Pro was to the 5800 Ultra!

The easiest component to speculate is ironically probably the price. As I've speculated before, I believe the XT will be no more than $600...$650 tops and that's with 512MB too. If this were an nVidia card, it would be more. Still ATi could become AMD and make the price $700 to $800. I don't think they can afford to do that and it doesn't make sense that they would. One thing the Inq said that I do believe is the price point of the R530 which would compete against the 6800. They said it would be $199. Now, if that's true then there's no way ATi's gonna have that big of a gap from that to $700.

The R520 Pro or XL whichever is the faster card will be around $100 less than the XT variant and it will also be the best seller of the high end cards. Sort of like nVidia's GT line is the best seller of the high end cards. For ATi though, most of that will be due to availability. This will be more pronounced if they have 24 and 32 pipe cards. There will be very few 32 pipe XT cards...at first that is and more 24 pipe cards. Still the 24 pipers won't be as plenitful as the 16's but more available than the 32.

Assuming there are 32 and 24 pipe cards, I've got my eye on the 24 for a couple of reasons. First, I think very few 32 pipe cards will be available and secondly, if ATi sticks to their last roadmap, they said the XL variant would be released before the XT...in fact a month later. I as well everyone else has waited a long time. I will not wait one more month if the XL or whatever is released and it's a decent performer. If it's not decent (which I doubt it won't be) then that's a good indicator of the XT R520. I just can't see ATi releasing a card that is only as fast or slightly faster than the G70 after all of this time. There is no sense to made of that! Since nVidia cancelled their Ultra version of the G70, it's either because the R520 is no real threat or it's because it's so much of a threat the G70 Ultra is not even worth it! I'm hoping for the latter!

10. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

It is probably no real threat. Also you cannot consider the Ultra being cancelled as a fact. Think about it this way. ATI was hiding forever and the only thing they gave the public was R520 (the name). Why not extend this same thought process to Nvidia? Couldn't they be doing the same exact thing as of right now? I thjink the R520 is goin to be super over hyped by the comunity because it has taken so long to come out. It just makes sense, if took such a long time to come out it must be better in everyway possible, right? Don't guess to fast guys. All you have to go by is rumors and hearsay so your word means almost nothing to me now. I am just defending Nvidia because not many people will and there are very many ATI fanboys on this site.

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

to tell the truth, i really hope ati does kickass. means nv has to respond quickly if they want to keep that edge they got back after the 5 series debacle.
    this compatition between the 2 is nothing but good for us. have at it!
    hopefully ati will have a good supply going for this release, otherwise they are going to be taking some heat again, no matter how good their cards are.

12. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Competition is good, but I will have an SLI board so it would be kind of pointless for me to get ATI with my new system. So I am pretty mcuh sticking with Nvidia, but I understand that it is good otherwise because Nvidia will have to released faster. I may buy an ultra when it comes out and sell my 7800GTX that I am getting.

13. The_Neon_Cowboy

According to sources, the initial samples of the 975X are much more capable
    than especially Nvidia may have expected. Apparently, the chipset is not only
    capable of supporting SLI, but ATI's upcoming dual-graphics
    technology "Crossfire" as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050828_231427.html

Multi Posting = just as bad or same as "Spamming " What else
    would you call 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 posts in a row???? It understandable
    when doing a very very long amount of text or posting many images
    but on a day to day basis :(

Site rules says...

14. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

You guys really should be taking this quarrel into the confines of the FWZ. I do not believe it is appreciated here, although I admit it amuses me to an extent. :)

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

Yea me a mike need put in a padded room
    with some whiffle bats to fight it out :D

16. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

If you are refering to how I post it is not spamming and I have not been banned because of it. I'm not goin to sit there and read your entire post if I didn't like the begining now would I? If you seperate the ideas by two different posts it doesn't look like your rambling on about how much you are right. Two posts also alow you to look at things from two different perspectives (yours and the opposite) in order to make a valid point on both instead of looking like an ATI and Intel Fanboy : )

17. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

What FPS should I expect with a single XFX 7800GTX 2 gb of ram and 3500CPU? like around what on 1600x1200 res.

18. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I wouldn't know, but it would be more than what they're showing here at AnandTech with their ultra-high resolution gaming benchmarks.

Your 2 GB of RAM will help you with smoother gameplay experience with certain games.

19. Bowen

Bowen New Member

My word? I never said or claimed this was the truth and in fact have said it was rumor. I did say that I tend to believe some of the rumors but that doesn't make it the truth until official details have been released. If your in the market for a new gfx card, it would be prudent to at least wait until ATi releases R520 to see how it performs. I'm loyal to neither ATi or nVidia. I'll buy whoever has the fastest card! At this point I think the R520 will either blow away the G70 or it will be about equal. In a word, that would mean it would suck because after all of this time, it can't be anything but spectacular for all of this time spent. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. One way or another we'll probably know in 3 or 4 weeks.

20. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Really, over 80 FPS in BF2? wow, I would probably get around 50 in F.E.A.R. when they have fixed and optimized everything. Thats music to my ears. The 7800GTX review on our site doesn't seem like I would be that successful. hmm. Well I will show everyone my scores when I build it. I hope to surprise some of you with how much FPS I get in some games : )