G71

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by SFOSOK, Sep 1, 2005.

1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Have you not noticed though double post,double post,double post,double
    post,tripple post, double post.... It all about "post count"weather you tell
    your selfs that or not.

There is no explicit rule against it. But if you were to do it many more times in
    a row. I'd think some one may might say something about it. They surely would
    if I did it.

I however spoke to an ADMIN last night about it and they said “they support my
    view” but they can really say anything along those lines with out sounding harsh
    and angering people who will think their trying to tell them how to post. So, IMO
    the comment I made was not inappropriate at all.

We’ve hijacked this thread enough lets drop it and get back on topic

Did you all hear about the G70 ultra supposedly being canceled?
    You might see G71 sooner then you think…

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

guys while I understand neon is getting a little rattled about seeing people posting 2 or 3 times without editing their post we arent going to clamp down on it hard unless it looks intentionally like spam, I do understand what Mike2h said as well that under a given situation someone might have a long post on the site then feel the need to add to it with a *new* post...... this would make sure someone who has already read the thread would notice the new comments.

Ok, point taken and I do agree with neon in principal, if you guys have something to add, generally an edit should suffice with **edit**, but I dont want this site run like a nazi camp so it will be left up to the disrcetion of the moderator or admin handling the thread. If you guys really want to make sure someone notices something you feel is important, then feel free to do so.

Ok, can we get back to the G71? some good points are being made in here but they are getting lost in the offtopic posting.

thank you everyone !

3. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Yeah a bit off-topic. I still think the Ultra is hiding : )

4. Bowen

Bowen New Member

I think nVidia has one planned, I'm just not sure on their intent when they cancelled it. Did they cancel it because the R520 is a threat or because it isn't. Either way, nVidia still owns 2005 even if the R520 was 1000 times faster. There will be very few people that will buy a R520 right after buying a G70!

If they really did cancel it, then they've got plans for something bigger! Whatever they have planned though, I don't think we'll hear about it until the R520 is released. So that means the soonest we'll hear about it (next nV card that is) is mid October...no sooner...well unless ATi releases the R520 sooner.

5. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

yeah, 7800GTX is the safest for me right now. Because of SLI it will have a very long value, when I actually need to upgrade I will just buy another : ). This comp sohuld last me for 5 years min with small upgrades here and there. Now all I need is to make it and stop tlaking about it.

6. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Yah know, I'd just buy one new 8800 GTX next year. It will be faster than two 7800's in SLi in the end. Sure in some games two 7800's will be faster but since SLi doesn't use the other card in total, your better off buying one faster card. It's like one 7800 is faster than two 6800 Ultras overall. If and when nVidia optimizes the utilization of the second card to be more efficient, then a second older card is definitely a better choice but for now, I think one faster card is worth more!

7. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

But its a never ending. So you end up waiting forever for the best. 7800GTX is awsome and I do not plan to wait for a release date I do not know. IF all else fails, sell my hardware when it is not up to par with my standards.

8. Bowen

Bowen New Member

While that is a VERY valid point that I myself think about, I would be very upset if I were to buy the G70 now and then find out the R520 is twice as fast as the X800 XT as some have rumored. That's at least 1.5 times faster than the 7800 GTX! I doubt it's that much faster but the point is, if your upgrading every couple of years (or longer) you want to have the best.

I can promise everyone this though, when the NDA lifts on the R520 and if the reviews don't give this card at least a 15% or more increase in performance over the G70, then on that same day, I'll have the eVGA 7800 GTX on order (FedEx 2nd day air baby!). I know even if the R520 is amazingly fast, the G70 is a good card and whatever the performance of the R520 won't change that fact. I just don't want to regret it.

Back in 2003 with my last upgrade, I originally wanted an Athlon 64, but as you know they were late coming out. So I bought a P4B 2.8GHz instead and a Radeon 9800 Pro. Had I waited just a couple more weeks, I would have been able to get a P4C instead of the P4B I have. Ya know the P4B has a 533MHz FSB while the P4C has an 800MHz FSB and it also sports Hyper Threading while the B doesn't. I also have a Gigabyte 8PE800 which is an Intel 845PE chipset. Again, had I waited a couple more weeks I could have bought the Intel 875 chipset, which is far superior to the i845. The only reason I had bought a Radeon 9800 Pro was because the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra was late. As you know the 5800 was debacle from nVidia so I lucked out there. That was the only thing I did right that year...heh. I don't regret not waiting for the Athlon 64 to come out because I believe it didn't originally debut until late in 2003 I think it was.

When I upgrade, I usually upgrade somewhere between May and August....so I use part of the income tax money to upgrade. Last year I thought I was going to buy a A64 3500+ and a GeForce 6800 GT. I wasn't able to upgrade last year because of financial problems. As it turns out, I think I like upgrading bi-yearly instead of every year. It gives you a chance to really know your computer. If you upgrade every year, it seems like you just put the thing together and it's time to upgrade again. That said, if I had the money to upgrade every year, I'd still do it....heh

Anyway after I found out (from my wife...another story) that I wasn't able to upgrade, I had planned getting a A64 4400+. I had no idea the 4400+ would be a dual core proc, but that's what I wanted anyway. So I waited and waited for the X2 4400+ to be released and finally I now have it and I'm sooo glad I waited! I was very close to saying the heck with it, I'm tired of waiting and just got a A64 4000+, but I'm glad I didn't do it! Now I'm waiting some more....except this is much longer and I am so tired of it. That's why if the R520 isn't what ATi and all the hype has played it up to be, I'm gonna be supremely pissed off for wasting my time. I've waited for 3+ months for this card to come out, I can wait 3 or 4 more weeks for it.

Now in this course of this, I find out it sux...that is the NDA is lifted, then I'll have a G70 faster than you can say it and I'll be writing a rather unpleasant email to ATi. I don't think it is, otherwise I wouldn't be waiting, but some people might wonder why someone would get so angry over something slightly late. Well I've had my machine built now since June and I've been using a Radeon X300. If you don't know what that is, it's the slowest of the "new" cards that ATi makes, so I really want a fast card....like yesterday! So anyway, I'll be angry for ATi wasting my time and hyping a product. After all ATi had originally wanted the R520 released as early as March of this year! So as you can see, they are a little late! ATi is also being sued by some of their investors for artificially inflating the market for NOT releasing their Crossfire mobo and R520.

I'm sure all will be forgiven (yet not forgotten) if both the mobo and vid card even half what they were promised to be. Still, come mid October (some sites say first week of October but I'll be pessimistic about that) if I hear some crap about it being another month or two, I don't think I'll be waiting. As good as the R520 has the potential to be from the hype, it's not worth waiting forever as you've said. I'll wait a few more weeks though and that's it!

Sorry for the novel....heh

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I still don't see how you can just call a 7800GTX a good card. Its better than the 6800series by a large margin and pretty far ahead of anything ATI has to offer at this moment. It's not just an "ok" card its the fastest on the market as of right now. I have very high expectations for Vid cards so I'll tell you how great or mediocre this card is when I get it. I'm not goin to wait for a couple months when I am building my PC now.

10. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

You'll be very happy with the card SFOSOK.

11. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

It helps readabilty when you don't triple space :D

Thats thing though tomarrow is another day. It is a good card I don't
    think ever used anything higher then good to describe a card. Or then
    the better or worse in compairson to other cards.

I think it take a real leap forward for me to call a card "great" or awesone
    like a desktop chip with specs along the lines of the console R500 in the
    Xbox 360. I want to see a leap forward not these little marketing steps.

Though haveing the top card means something the battle in won
    on more then just the top end. The top end accounts for the least
    amount of buyers. Were the mainstream and value segments sell
    much more volume.

The 7800 is better then anything out "for now" but thats the key
    with R520 rolling in roughly 30 days who knows! Far as you know
    nvidia card be plotiig with the G70 ultra or an early whip out of
    the G71, or a G70 price drop in wich case you'd feel "slightly burnt
    that you didn't wait.

12. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

well...I truelly would like to wait, but without any official release dates It could be delayed even longer and I'll have to continue to wait. I will make my decision, if I do not hear any news on the G71 ultra by Sep. 20th than I a mgetting a 7800 GTX. I'm using an SLI board so its only Nvidia for a time better, may switch to ATI if a build another comp very very far down the road when they have crossfire mobos in mass production so I have a decent choice, not just like a couple that are out now.

13. Bowen

Bowen New Member

I wasn't belittling the card, I think it's a good card. The reason I say good and not great is because of the difference in performance between the 6800 and the 7800. There is very little difference between the two for older games. Now with newer games there's a much bigger difference, but not like the difference between the 5800 and the 6800! Guess what, if the X1800 is about the same or slightly faster, it too is ok. Great cards are the Voodoo3D, GeForce 256, Radeon 8500, GF4, Radeon 9700, GF 6800. Despite the fact that the 7800 GTX is faster (and it is considerably), it's not the ground breaking card the NV40 was.

My 9800P with my Intel system was just ok because it was a speed bump from the 9700. Don't get me wrong...those are all great cards, the G70 is a great card but I'm gauging from the performance of the last generation and we'll just have to see what X1800 does.

Yes I almost bought a G70 myself and it's possible I still might depending on how the X1800 fares. I've sort of lowered my normal high standards for the X1800 in that, before I've said if the R520 isn't anything but amazing, I'll get a G70. The truth is that would be stupid to get a G70 if the R520 was only say 10% faster than the 15% I was hoping for. Now, even if the R520 is say even 1 or 2% faster but the IQ is noticeably higher, I'm getting the R520. Now if the IQ is the same and it's only slightly faster and say come October, ATi pulls more crap and say...oh one more month....oh no, I'm not waiting any longer! It's just after waiting all this time, it would all be in vain if I went ahead and bought the G70.

If you want to buy a G70, go ahead, I don't know about you but I'd be extremely pissed off if I did that and it turns out the R520 is something spectacular on the order of the 9700. I don't think it's that good but who knows. ATi is being so tight lipped about it I think it's either very good or very bad. I'll wait at least until October, after that it's back to nV!

14. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I'm mainly staying with Nv because of SLI, and my system is based around it for future upgrades. I don't believe the R520 will be anything truelly ground breaking. When ever Nvidia discloses a super model 32 pipe 512 super overclocked card of doom I will sell my 7800 GTX and go ahead with that. But I like said, I will not go to ATI because of their lack of crossfire supporting boards. I'm goin to be mostly gaming, overclocking, and some benching. I wish ATI was not lacking in crossfire mobo support and was not so freaking slow to release, but sadly they are. I have not given up on them, but a 7800GTX and nice comp build will be more than necessary for gaming and any other apps or benches for at least a year if not more than that.

15. Bowen

Bowen New Member

Yeah, I'm about done with ATi myself. If they pull some the same crap again in October, I think even the ATi loyalists will turn on them. I can't believe the R520 doesn't have something major over nVidia...either IQ or performance. It doesn't make sense and if they don't I'll be that much more angry with them. I've heard rumors that the R580 is due out in January 05. I think that is BS because if they did release the R580 at that time, then it would take away from the sales of the R520. I do believe the R580 is ready because another team was working on it but to release it that soon...no way.

I want to see some more new games released that are shader heavy. I want to see how the G70 performs on those. It is about 100% faster with BF2 over the NV40, but BF2 was optimized for BF2. I want to see some new games that are not optimized for either ATi or nVidia and see how they perform!

Enjoy your G70, I may be getting one too depending on how the R520 does and/or if it's delayed again. If it's delayed once more, I'm sending ATi a nice letter! :annoyed:

16. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Lol. They would deserve it after this time. F.E.A.R. looks to be very shader heavy and very very demanding. I think that game will sufice for tests now. Also don't forget about GR 3, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and Quake 4. There will some good games out this october and november for PC. I think R520 and 7800GTX will be more than prepared for these next-gen games.