Games crash on new A64 system

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Pman, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Pman

Pman New Member

Hey. i just put together a new athlon64 system for my birthday. i installed all the drivers that were on the cd it came with and some other applications that came with it. after i got it all tweaked and every thing done i decided to play BF:V. The game runs great for about 10 minutes then freezes and i have to restart my PC. I am pretty sure that it is not over heating cause it idles at 38c and is around 45c load plus i have i good copper heatsink on it. i cant flash the bios cause my floppy pooped out on me. nothing is overclocked. here are the specks.

Gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO
    A64 3200+ newcastle
    radeon 9600pro omega 2.5.67
    corsiar pc 3200 XMS 512mb ram
    maxtor hd
    winxp

I really dont know whats wrong. i have been spending all day trying to fix this. it doesnt crash when im not playing games. please help!!!!

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

have you attempted to run any other program that is just as intensive?... say 3dmark03 or another game? do they produce the same results?

3. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

you did a fresh install of Windows, right?
    have you run a memory tester, like memtest86?

4. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

You sure it can't be those tweaks ? dunno what you did but since you dindn't supply a lot of info concerning the error it's a bit of a guessing game now.
    Try a Judas says and run 3Dmark and some other games, pay attention whenever a lockup occurs and tell us the details then.

5. dulittle

dulittle New Member

Silly question to ask, did you install Windows SP1, and other little Windows updates?

6. dsdsdk

dsdsdk New Member

since you say "after 10 min" it might be a heat problem.. checked the 9600pro temp? is there any airflow in cabi?

can be faulty ram too... but since it's after 10 min it is not likely.

7. Pman

Pman New Member

hmmmmm. i was playing CoD single player and about 10-15 minutes into the game it locks. sound keeps repeating then no sound and a black screen. i think i need to flash a newer bios:( guess i'll have 2 buy a floppy thing. i redid my heatsink on the cpu and tryed really hard to put a thin coat of AS5. also how tight can you safly tighten your heatsind down? i can still turn mine a little bit wen its on the cpu. when i was playing BF:V it froze in a place that i had been around a couple of times and it ran ok then. i hope that it is a simple problem with the heatsink and all i got to do it tighten it. And i did install a fresh copy of xp and updated it:D the only tweaks i did was disable some extra services that dont need to be running from www.blackviper.com and i ran tune up utilities 2004. also in the bios i made the agp aprature to 64mb from 128mb. should i leave it at 128mb or what? it seemed to help. please help me!!!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  8. Vampyromaniac

OK, are you overclocking or not?
    If you are, return everything to default and see if that helps. Including your memory timings.
    128MB is fine for AGP aperture.

9. REGENERAT1ON

REGENERAT1ON NGO Crew

update your drivers from the website. reduce AGP to x4, try fast writes enabled and disabled. try to let SPD handle your memory timing if its not works then set memory settings manually (start with the safest settings)
    make sure your radeon 9600 fan is working. which PSU you have ?
    and we can get more pc specs ?

if PSU is good enough and the 9600 fan has no issues
    consider to replace the mobo.

10. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

thats probably a good ? i must have missed the answer or sometin. i didnt see 1, but the a64 + sp2 = glitches/problems.... you got sp1 or sp2?

11. Pman

Pman New Member

Ive got sp1. i installed some more updates from microsoft website and it told me to restart. so ok i restarted and it froze instanlty when it shows the desktop. i dont know what i did but it loaded ok. My PSU is a sleaveright 500w from www.frozencpu.com. also my fan on my r9600pro is working. i have updated the nvidia nforce3 chipset driver from gigabyte. The bios that came with the cd are the latest ones, F4. If you know, the AS5 application page on their page said to put a little dot of thermal paste then squish it around the CPU with the heatsink. Is it ok if i just put a thin layer over the whole thing? Also how tight can you put the heatsink on a A64? I tighted it some more but i can still just barley move it. I think im gonna lower the AGP and try messing with fast rights like regeneration said. Here is a more detailed list of my PC. thanks

Gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO-F4 BIOS, nvidia nforce3 chipset driver 424
    AMD Athlon64 3200+ newcastle-2.2ghz,512k cache, thermaltake pipe101 heatsink and 92mm fan
    Connect3d radeon 9600 pro RV360- Omega 2.5.67 drivers, directx 9.0c
    Corsiar XMS412-3200LL- 2326 timings stock ddr400mhz
    Maxtor diamond max plus 9 IDE hard drive-dont really know any more bout it
    lite-on ltr 522456 cd burner
    IDE DVD-ROM drive
    3com ethernet card
    thats all i really know, sorry if its not enough

12. effee

effee New Member

I have a AMD64 3200, Radeon 9800 PRO, ASUS K8V SE Deluxue, Corsair PC3200 DDR400. Seagate 120 GB HDD. And i can tell you, i'm having alot of stability issues with the A64, my games crash, and my system hangs occasionally for no reason. Im not too happy about it, but i'm going to do a reformat later on today, and i hope that solve my issues.

13. Pman

Pman New Member

Ya same here. for about the last 20 restarts right after i log into windows it freezes. ok so i get tired of this, dont know whats going on. i decide to install xp again. it wouldnt say boot from disc when the pc bots up but i could got into winodws. do you have the XMS memory? maybe it doesnt work good with A64 setups. im gonna try and play a game now and hopefully it wont crash! i got 8xagp but i turned fast rights off to see it it will help. i will try to post later if it doesnt crap out on me again!

14. Pman

Pman New Member

woohoo! i think i got it fixed. the agp aprature 128mb freezes my system after the desktop is shown show its at 64mb. also i dont have fast rights on. i played Call of duty(that game is so fun) for about 30min untill i had to eat dinner and it ran like a champ. im gonna try to play for like a hour right now and if it doesnt work i will be back. thank yall for helping:D

15. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Just a little something for all the A64 users out there to remember is that the A64's(especially the early C0 cores) do not like a tRCD memory setting of 2; run it at 3 or 4 for the most overall stability.

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

btw.... you can download and run Gigabytes ONLINE within windows Flash utility (if it's available for that board).... make sure you have all the right files... and flash... on my first attempt with one of my gigabyte boards... i had very good luck... .flash.... rebooted... volla.... fast.. way better then messing with a bloody floppy...

17. Vampyromaniac

the newer core doesn't mind it :)
    I did some OC testng, running 3DMark2001, 3DMark03, and Aquamark3 each time.
    Got all the way to 225 HTT, with RAM at 2-2-2 (CPU = 1.55v, RAM = 2.8v)
    I changed it to 2-3-2, but it still crashed 3DMark at 227 HTT.
    Did have to change the command rate to 2T instead of 1T pretty early though.
    I didn't do extensive stability testing, just reporting some info :)

18. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl New Member

Please excuse the n00b bump but I am having exactly the same problem with a very similar system:

9800pro
    Newcastle 3400+
    Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP (Latest BIOS)
    1 x 512mb Corsair Value @ spd occupying slot 0.

Would you be able to list exactly what you did to solve your problems? I have tried almost everything I can think of, and it would be good to get another perspective.

19. Counterfe1t

Counterfe1t New Member

Could it be a error caused by Gigabyte motherboards? looking at this thread i see that everyone who is experiencing the error has one version of a Gigabyte motherboard.