Games exit to Desktop...

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Greylock, May 19, 2002.

1. Greylock

Greylock New Member

Hi!

I got a PC with Soltek mobo (VIA KT 266A on board) and a MSI Geforce 4 MX 420.
    At games (e.g. CS or Emperor) i got a weird error: Everytime after a bit playing games exit without errormessage to WinXP Desktop... Already tried the newest official and newest Beta dets, but they didnt solve the problem...

VIA 4in1 drivers are not installed as it is not neccessary under WinXP... Could the AGP Driver solve my Problem?

THX in advance!

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Tweaks? Background apps?

Have you tweaked XP? What programs do you have running in the background while gaming?

3. p0rnflake

p0rnflake New Member

I've heard of other having simular issues - fixed it by installing the via AGP driver (which you should do no matter what) !

4. Texan_eagle_scout

Texan_eagle_scout New Member

I have same problem...

I am having the same problems with my Leadtek Gf3 Ti-200 64mb. I think I have the latest drivers. My problems occur most with MS Combat Flight Sim2-Pac Theater. It will play along then exit to desktop. The only other thing running will be Statbar. I shouldn't be running out of resources with a Athlon XP 1500+, and 512mb DDR. I was told that there possibly could be a problem with the USB's on my board. Something like they have a driver error or what not. My mainboard is a Shuttle Spacewalker AK31 socket A.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem?

Texan_Eagle_Scout

5. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed this seems to happen mostly with D3D games? MW3 always keeps doing this to me no matter what, though it seems to not be as bad now.

6. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

hrm

its opposite with me, i play D3D games perfectly, yet OpenGL games always crash on me no matter how high or low i set the settings. anything that uses the Quake 3 engine will crash me, but games like GTA3 and others that use D3D will never crash me! thats why its mysterious in the fact that no one really knows whats going on here... :tears:

7. HawK

HawK Banned

Hate me for this

Mostly your problems are related to just one thing....overclocking
    but not always...
    Why on earth people believe they can overclock their computer
    and expect it will run perfectly is still beyond me :sigh:
    And for what? 2 or 3 fps more ? it was nice when we had 100 or 200 mhz processors
    but nowadays i really don't see the piont.

I used to have a volkswagen, build a porsche engine in it, ran great for a few months
    till i discoverd, that it almost fell apart due to cracks all over the car.. it just was'nt
    build for those speeds..... *>160kmh :cool: *
    My point is: overclocking might be fun but.....
    there is always a price to be payed :eek:

sometimes i see guys with fsb up too 160mhz, Agp @184, pci bus @145
    and then come crying that the drivers are crap, or there crummy systems does not run properly...
    So hate me if you want, but you know im right ....but not always...
    :tears:

8. Necrosis

Re: Hate me for this

In my case your not correct. I just recently overclocked my system, and am very aware the dangers involved with overclocking. However, my problem with this particular game has been going on for the past say three years. I have friends who have the game and have the same problem, and it doesn't always happen everytime. It seems to happen when you stress the game. If your going to overclock you need to do your homework and buy the components that will handle the stress. You can also get a board with a seperate clock multiplier that will keep FSB down on your cards.

9. HawK

HawK Banned

yup that's why i said; not always, if you know what your doing, and never forget what your doing, than there is not much harm.. but to expect to overclock with no penalty what so ever is IMHO plain stupid.. eventhough your neighbor has the same rig, and that's doing fine...
    These are machine's, and no mather what machine you buy, there all diffrent,
    buy 10 tv's on the same day, same brand, same shop; and you still have 10 diff. tv's

And your prob. with this game, might be in the game

10. Necrosis

I know what you are talking about. That is the reason this computer will never see more than 140 Mhz on it. I just am very precarious about overclocking. Yes, I do understand each machine is different. That is why on some systems with the same components you may experience an issue that somone with the same setup will not. For instance a friend of mine has the same trackball that I use on my laptop. However, the ball in his isn't as smooth as mine. The wheel on mine is takes more force to move than on his. The trackball's are the same make and model, but they do the same function but not quite the same way. I've experienced this quite a bit working with electronics, I like to refer to it as Voodoo. :)

11. WhitePointer

WhitePointer New Member

What type of power supply do u have, is it good quality and what are its ratings on 3.3v, 5v and maximun combined output on the 3.3/5v. Cheap units are limited in their 3.3/5v output.

This type of problem could be the result of not enough power, not all power supplies are equal.

12. Lille_Skutt

Lille_Skutt New Member

I have the same errors on my system. Once in a while I like to play games and it is always MS games like Age of Empires, Crimson Skies, Dungeon Siege that crashes. I have no idea what is causing these errors. It dosen´t matter if I use Win98/ME, Win2k or WinXP, new or old drivers. I have tested to run the system with one HD and only the gfx-card. I have tested nvidia based cards as well as non-nvidia based ones. With or without sound-card. The same thing happens. But the crashes does not appear all the time. Sometimes I can play for just 2-3minutes...but the next time I play it can go 90minutes before the crash. As someone said it happens when you "stress" the game. Today I played a 3hour Age of Empire 2 Deathmatch before the game crashed. It was a 3vs3 match and there was between 600-1200 units in movement.

I don´t overclock.

My system:
    Supermicro mobo with Dual P3 667MHz
    Creative Geforce DDR card (temporarily, otherwise I use a Quadro2 Pro)
    Turtle Beach Sonic Fury soundcard
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
    4x18.4Gb Maxtor Atlas III

I use my system most of the times for 3D CAD.

13. Ryoko

Ryoko American Soldier

Re:

what kind of psu do you have for that? :eek:

i would recommend at least a 550w, if not 600...

if you don't have a 550, that might be your problem.

14. Lille_Skutt

Lille_Skutt New Member

I only have 340W PSU for this system. A new PSU maybe will solve my crashes...??? That is one thing I don´t have tested. I will let you know if it helps to change the PSU.

I hope so anyway..........