Games Surround -> Dolby Surround

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by hanshans, Jan 25, 2006.

1. hanshans

hanshans New Member

Hi All

I couldn't find a better place for my question:

Is it possible to code an intermediate driver/Is there a driver, that decodes game multichannel sound and encodes dolby surround (prologic)?

Thanks in advance
    hanshans

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

redocneXk

3. hanshans

hanshans New Member

I'm sorry, but thats not what i want. i need the opposit i think.

I have some kind of multichannel game sound source and i want to convert it to stereo dolby surround, so my hardware decoder can give me my 4 channels :)

thanks anyway

hanshans

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yup - that what redocneXk does.

BUT: If its an EAX game - KX wont handle that part, as KX doesnt support EAX.

'Some KIND' of surround game? - please be more specific.

5. hanshans

hanshans New Member

The particular game i'm interested in is splinter cell. But it uses EAX.
    Is EAX support planned?

hanshans

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

not until CL release their specs for EAX

7. mehmetk

mehmetk New Member

But doesn't redocneXk use the digital output?

Dolby surround (pro logic 2) is a normal stereo signal. A pro logic 2 encoder encodes for example 5.1 sounds into a stereo signal. An extern dpl2 decoder will then decode the information and produce something close to surround sound.

8. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yes, redocne uses digital output..But KX DOESN'T DECODE the EAX for redocne to then encode to dolby digital.

So there are 2 important elements on the OP.. Decode EAX - and ENCODE to AC3.

A user here (Tril) made a proggie that will take ASIO (from epilog or ProFX/Kxlt)and encode to AC3 and output to a single SPDIF port. Found here:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=90887

KX Does do A2D (Aureal) istall thi capability by the KX start menu (NOT installed by default) - which is supported by UT2004 & Dungeon Seige. Prolly others but those are the ones I have seen personally.

9. mehmetk

mehmetk New Member

Thats the thing, dolby pro logic isnt a digital signal, its a normal stereo signal.

My soundcard is connected to my home cinema set using its normal output (non spdif). What i would like is that the driver takes all possible 5.1 sounds and encode them to dolby pro logic II. My home cinema set has a dolby pro logic II decoder, wich can decode 5.1 surround information out of a stereo (dpl2) sound.

I know its not perfect 5.1 sound, but its something anyway.

10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Digital and stereo are 2 terms that can be true at the same time.

AFAIK DPL1 is stereo (2 channel) AND DPL2 is 6 channels - remember, DPL2 *could* be encoded for 6 channels and STILL ONLY USE 2 of them. AND DPL can be 'MATRIX SURROUND ENCODED'.

If its digital or analog - all depend on if its been decoded/converted or not.

Some DVD players will decode the DIGITAL AC3 stream on a DVD and output to 6 analog connectors - OR PASTHRU to a single SPDIF connector - to allow for a receiver to decode .

JUST like a PC with an internal DVD player and KX drivers installed (and set up properly) for a 10K2 based cards ONLY. 10K1 based cards WILL NOT PASS-THRU AC3 (aka Mutichannel/Surround via single SPDIF line/port)

Redocne - WILL take 6 ASIO channels fed to epilog in KX DSP screen then ENCODE AND output VIA a single SPDIF port, presumably to a receiver to decode. Again ONLY works with 10K2 based cards, as redocne is using KX AC3 passthru to function.

Here is how I understand it:

Ac3 - is like a compression scheme - much like MP3 is, BUT allows stuffing 6 channels of audio information in the same 'BITRATE' digital audio stream.

DPL2 - can use this same AC3 compression, but also adds aditional specifications like EQ, speaker placements, the '.1' is the sub-woofer/LFE, etc.. Keep in mind, for AC3 - it doesnt HAVE to use the 6th ('.1') as a sub-woofer. AC3 *could* be simply 6 mono channels and totally non-related to one another. Theres and infered 5.1, because MOST are familiar with DVD audio, but AC3 doesnt HAVE to conform to DPL2 specifications.

DPL - can be PCM (uncompressed) much like a raw wave file, but DPL adds additional specifications like 'matrix encoded surround' etc.. (WHICH is extracted from normal stereo, accomplished with Prologica and Surrounder plug-ins in KX) the matrix encoding was to ensure backward compatibility for NON DPL systems.

I would like to see an DPL matrix encoder as a KX Plugin..?? I dont think that exists - possibly for licensing reasons (Dolby isnt cheap, any they prolly activly prosecute those in violation)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  11. phetamine

phetamine New Member

This thread is a couple of months old i know, but...

I think people are being confused with the pro logic, and pro logic 2... Pro logic is the old analog way of stuffing 4 tracks into 2.

Dolby Pro Logic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

"Dolby Surround/Pro Logic is based on basic Matrix technology. When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track by using phase shift techniques. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder playback the audio as standard Stereo."

I think the original question was can KX do matrix encoding for people with a 2 channel analog pro logic system?

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Here is some info (consolidated) from Eugene about DPL 1/2 and kX:

See the following thread for more info:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=18189

13. xzero1

xzero1 New Member

If you are still interested, I believe this thread implements exactly what you need for Dolby pro logic encoding with all processing done via kx. Search the forum for "Dolby Pro-Logic Encoder". Sorry, Firefox will not let me cut and paste the link.