gamespot compare PS3 and Xbox 360 graphics

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Dec 15, 2006.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

fanboys, start you engines...

I remember this, think I posted this in news. Madden, Tony Hawk and Fight Night really tell the story. Tony Hawk looks awful on the PS3. Also, look at the shadows for the PS3 games, looks as if they just didn't include them.

I bet that review was really a treat to complete.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  3. HardwareHeaven

yeah ign did it a while ago too.

4. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I saw this last week, the PS3 looks like it is suffering a bit from what the PS2 has. Washed out colors that make it hard to show good shadows and dynamic lighting like in Splinter Cell.

5. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

No, i didn't miss it, and the results i must say aren't really that surprissing, at least not to me.

6. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I'd hate to pay 600$ and find out that graphically, my console is worse than a 400$ year old console :p

7. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

so looks like mirosoft made out last christmas with the only next gen console, and this year they get to be the only redily available and able to easily find and dump money into next gen console with a ton of games and accessories. now next christams the 3 cosole will have already been out and the frenzie will be over with everyone in there respective corners.

the xbox 360 definatly looks better in the comparisons, so can the ps3 rev it up to catch the 360 or will it be chassing it till next-next gen consoles?

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I believe MS will win this round. IMO Wii will sell a lot in the first year or so, but will not sell enough to "win" this round. PS3 has too many shortcomings to sell most.

9. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

so, if MS got 1080P working, got HD DVD, and has beacoup de games.....[and got initial publication rights to GTA this round, so I heard]

...and Sony has graphical issues, supply issues, high def issues, and blu ray is getting a luke warm reception....

Sony'd best make Metal Gear run like a raped ape in 1080p :lol:

10. shadowfield

shadowfield New Member

The only important part of the entire article is the conclusion. Its just too soon to be comparing games.

11. HardwareHeaven

I guess that logic makes sense but people are still buying them so they do need comparing. not like they are internal alpha builds of games being released mid 2007.

mainman likes this.
  12. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I think so too. Its not like developers haven't had time to make one game that takes advantage of the hardware. The games that were released for the PS3 have been in production for quite a while.

13. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

This all thing is to be expected, Sony lauched a console based around BS after BS after BS..since people abviously lack the simple skill of reading and thinking for themselfs they of course will eat it all up and wait for Sony to deliver 4D gaming as promissed...:rolleyes: I think it's not hard to ask people to do an informed buy before handing over $600 coins over for a console. Just my 2 cents...cheaper then the ps3 thats for sure...:lol: ;)

14. Markius

Markius New Member

to the people using the "its too early to compare" or the "its only first gen for sony", sorry but i have to say you are wrong, the dev kits for ps3 have been out just as long as the 360s (in some cases with certain companys, longer)

15. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

once developers learn to manage that MASSIVE buffer memory [16 megabits, is it?] they'll get it right :lol:

no..it will improve in time, but so will the 360, don't forget.

the 360 is only a year old....it's got room to grow too.

And as for sony getting it wrong, they spend as much time naming the engine as they do makign it easy to use ["Emotion Engine"...and "Reality Synthesizer"], so don't expect any massive leap forward anytime soon. The dev kits have been around a while, and it took them a few[4?] years to top out the PS2

16. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

PS3 is just one big snoozing giant right now.... it can barely do anything. and unless it gets off its ass and fixes it problems, it wont do anything. i would say it has about a year to turn things around before it loses.

17. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

just saw videos from the GT5 demo they released this morning. the game looks amazing. incredibly detailed cars, full lighting and shadows, heavily populated courses, the works.

looks like they did something right with the ps3 on this one.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

On those GT5 demo movies- lots of the shadows of the trees don;t even show up on the car.. that is extremely disappointing. Also no cockpit view? That is just ridiculous for a "race sim" in 2007. (or 2008 if that's when it comes out)
    The car models look outstanding as usual. The physics look like not much has improved, hard to say without playing it though.

19. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

ya, i noticed the shadows on the cars after you mentioned that. theyve got a full year before it comes out though, and ign mentioned theyve made massive strides already since its last public showing. i would assume by the time next year comes around, that little shadow problem will be take care of.

and yes, there will be a cockpit view. kinda lacking in detail, but it is a 3 month old pic. http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/736/736366/gran-turismo-hd-20061009023348711.jpg

20. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

The demo was out last night on PS network, and man am i having tons of fun playing it. I will have to buy the full version when its released.

Give it a try if you got a ps3 BWX, its pretty awesome and feels like a real car to me!