Gay marrage on the ballots in some states...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Neon, I've corrected this erroneus statement before, Henry VIII did NOT invent divorce, the laws for Jewish and Christain divorce are quite clearly laid out in the Talmud/New Testament. (Deuteronomy 24:1-4 & Matthew 19:3-12.)

2. ReV smokey255

ReV smokey255 John Kerry of video cards

yes I absoluty belive gay marrige what ever makes a person happy and that is not doing harm to another person. But if we agure about gay marriage we have to argure the whole chiristanty religion. I think it is fine for someone to belive what ever religon you want. as long as it does not involve cultish activty like what happend in texas where the guy had that cult . Why i say yes is that the gay and lesbian are people like me and you. No different. but this is where it get polticial are current presdient is basing his decsions on this because of his christanty belif. that is unarmican has you can get. i know that is extrmely harh. but it is kind of like the previous gerenation of freedom toward the blacks not having to go to seprate schools. Why i think this people are born gay or lesbian or straight. so in away the president is blocking someone else belifs. But also what you classify marriage as marriage and religon with religon that is the answer

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  3. Nicky-chan

Nicky-chan formally Elclair

Maybe this is becuase you straite ppl yell at them and call them fags and hate them just becuase they want to have sex with another guy and have a good time.

I think gay marrage is a good thing, means more happy ppl and less angry ppl running about in riots and gay pride and all that.
    Think about it ppl from the other side insted of mindlessly saying what "you" think ppl should do just cuz you dont wanna have sex with a guy. Or in the case if you are female another girl.
    Gay ppl arnt asking you to have sex with them you know?
    They are asking for exceptence and being treated like a normal humen being.

I used to be a facist and i know that it is hard to even calm down and say ok your right. lol

Anyway no 13 states is not majority. Maybe 38 states or more is majority in my eyes.

4. Iridium

Iridium New Member

Gay marriage = No.

Civil Unions = Yes.

Same rights and privilages with both. Case closed.

5. Pompey

Pompey New Member

Why do we give 'strait' people these benefits? Why should strait marriages be entitled to them but gay marriages/ civil unions not be entitled to them?

6. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

I think its very important for the discussion at hand that i state this;

IM A LESBIAN, AND I LOVE IT!!

Thank you very much, have a nice day.

7. Senor_Mota

Senor_Mota 悪魔の方法

The Afterbreath of a Lesbian Clusterf*ck...awwwwwwwwwww, how sweet!

:rofl: :D

8. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

That isn't really needed, dude. Do you honestly think that added to this discussion any? PM that sort of joke to your audience later, I'd rather not have it out here.

9. Ferdinand_L

Ferdinand_L New Member

That dog is goin' to hell and he can say hello to Spongebob Squarepants when he get's there! :D Tolerence is so anti-christian isn't it?

Ferd-

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

you mean 38 states of 50 out right banning/defineing isnt a magority? :rolleyes: the magorty of the population = not a magority? :D

here is a map for you! I just found from ea

[​IMG]

It's just that the only way to protect the activist judges from makeing law...it to put it in the states consitution... once thats done the judges can't touch it...

You realise how many times many bibles have been rewriten, interpited, traslated, etc...
    the orgional techings an belives are what should matter.. not what some dickhead decided he'd pencil in or that what they "think it ment" etc... or what is done today.... marrage is a relegious instution i don't care te the gov (most based on relegois belives such as the usa) has addopted marrage and devorse.... devoces are done in court rooms.. marrage is done in curches see a differance... No again i don't care the state adoped marrgae and judges etc can do it anymore etc...

..and the common techings and beleaves.. sorry if you belive the church and hisrty books incorrect one can only know what they READ, and are tought... and marrage is a life long instution....

Ever hear the lines or a wedding performed? "TILL DEATH DO YOU PART" aka your married to that person untill you or they are dead...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  11. Pompey

Pompey New Member

Ah, you haven’t quiet grasped the Idea of a secular state. Marriage is not a religious institution. Marriage is simply the decision of 2 people (opposite sex or otherwise) to formally register their relationship under the law. If you and your partner want stay together because your beliefs say that it is wrong to divorce then that’s your choice. If a girl wants to marry a 92 year-old rich man (or women) for his (or her) money, that’s their choice. Divorcee is also a choice. Marriage means different tings to different people. The other trouble arrises when the church (and its followers) tries to claim a divine connection, a god-given authority over peoples individual rights. Because THEY believe it, everyone else must conform. The whole argument against it is either that its a sin (or some other religious cr*p) or that it will somehow destroy the fabric of society. Well, a century ago people thought society would collapse if woman gained the vote.
    Not everyone gets married in a church, I know many people who got married in gardens, beaches and other such places not involving the church at all (shock, horror, better get your torch). Anyway, the church has no authority.
    Tthe only problem occurs when people attach moral or religious tags to it(marriage). Frankly if someones marriage relys on the fact that its an exclusively heterosexual thing, or that it has divine consent, they need help. Fast.

12. johnmedgla

johnmedgla New Member

Where to begin... Religious viewpoints are a given for those with faith but impenetrable to people who like a little more than dogma and hearsay before they take on an opinion. It's deeply ironic that GWB seems hell bent on confronting theocratic Middle Eastern regimes in the name of Human Rights and Democracy while pursuing a exclusory faith-based agenda at home, but clearly he knows what he's doing...............

I really don't know where to start on here, there's so much I could write! I think I'll take "gay is a passing fad/gay is currently cool." Have you the vaguest idea how openly gay people are treated in schools? I could rant on this one point for thousands of words, suffices to say that if being gay were a choice then experience with people who share your attitude at school would turn most gay people straight in a heartbeat...

Inept social behaviours? Forgive me in advance, but I'd stake my social skills as above your own any day. BTW, I'm gay, yes. Regardless of what experience you may have had, the reason that many women have lots of gay friends and few heterosexual male friends is precisely the inverse of what you say, we generally have Better social skills - we typically need them to fend off attacks from the demographic who question our right to exist. The people in my life who have rejected me for my choice of bedfellows (as opposed to the fair few who don't like me for other reasons) are generally one of three sorts - the bitter husk who resents everything about the modern world and wants it all to go back to the way it was, when people were God-fearing and people worked 7-7 every day on the farm; people whose religion tells them I'm going straight to hell, and they'd likely be rewarded in the hereafter for speeding my progress; and people who are generally failures and strike out at opportunistic targets - gays are great for that. Forgive me again for that, but we Brits are quite arrogant by nature, and I've been told I've refined that particular trait!

If you legalise gay marriage what next - a circus? How wonderfully small minded. It's like the sixties - let negroes into the armed forces, give them promotions and pensions? What next, women?! Really, I have no inclination to say anything further on that point!

As for the sanctity of marriage - I find it hilarious that the country which gave the world the National Enquirer and Britney's infamous marriage can really use sanctity of marriage and cheapening of the institution as a reason for withholding it. I'm not interested in the semantics of whether it's a sacred or secular institution. Frankly I don't approve of gay-marriage literally, but I do like the idea of a civil union. For me that just entails a declaration of commitment and intent to make a life together, and why that should offend anyone who isn't forced to think about what I do in my bedroom baffles me. Interestingly enough, as has been said gay people account for ~2-3% of the population but contribute something like 5.4% of income tax to the UK goverment as a whole (I doubt it's very different in the US) so I don't think it's in any way unfair to expect the govenment to make it easier for gay people to build a life together by giving them the same benefits as married heterosexual couples - more correcting a double injustice. First by denying us the rights in the first place, second by taking advantage of the fact we're paying over the odds for something to which we aren't entitled.

Lastly, on homosexuality in general - I suggest you follow the excellent information other people have already linked to in researching the massive prevalence of homosexuality in nature, but if you want to save time just type "bonobos + homosexual" into google. FYI, Pan Bonobos is the most highly evolved of the chimpanzees and the most similar life-form to man known to exist. Additionally, there are a multitude of theories about the natural evolution of homosexuality, the most recent one is here - I suggest you take a look.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3735668.stm

Oh yes, please don't insinuate I'm some sort of simpleton, I'd be more than happy to provide you with references and qualifications but over here that's considered discourteous.

Right, now I'm off to try to reconcile my Sodding GeForce 6800, my VIA kt133 chipset and KOTOR II. If anyone has any suggestions to stop the bloody thing locking up nearly every time there's an area transition or a movie then please God PM me!

Thanks,

Johnathan

13. Pompey

Pompey New Member

Finally! An opinion from a gay man. I thought it was odd that this had previously been a debate between presumably heterosexual people.
    I totaly agree.

14. raid517

raid517 New Member

Welcome to the political forums John. :) I'm not gay myself unfortunately (although I sometimes wish I were as conversly I would probably have a lot more girlfriends than I do - but there you are). But in any case I have spent quite a long time on these forums defending gay and other minority views. (Particularly from the large number of ignorant right wing GW Bush loving republicans we seem to have here). It's been a kind of odd battle. Nearly three years of debate - and not one single gay voice to speak up on any of the topics being discussed.

I hope you stick around. Lol some of these guys worst nightmare would be if they suddenly got inundated with gay people - and all the other people they spit their hate at - taking over these debates and standing their ground. They wouldn't know how to cope with it at all.

GJ

15. johnmedgla

johnmedgla New Member

Thankyou GJ, and everyone else with a *considered* opinion. It's rare nowadays to see people standing up for something when they don't stand to gain from it themselves, particularly when faced with the dogmatic viewpoints some people here seem to possess, las I said, rare and heartening!

(Thanks also for the MB advice, i'll scrap it and buy a new core system!)

I'm now waiting to see if anyone takes offense at my post.....

16. DesertNaiad

DesertNaiad New Member

Does the opinion of a brand new forum member who’s bi count for anything? Since I live in the US, a country in which the government is allegedly separated from all churches (you've heard of the separation of church and state?) it seems to me that if marriage has a legal component(and it does - it's a legally binding contract), then it should be regulated by the government – without regard to what churches dictate as acceptable. I have no objection to weddings being performed in churches, or cow barns, or on rubber rafts on Lake Michigan, but the contract, the actual marriage, shouldn't involve religious mores masquerading as legal prohibitions.

Certainly most Islamic, Judaic and Christian traditions define marriage as one man and one woman locked in two-step for life, but I’m not a member of any organized church in any of those traditions, even though I’m an American. I’m honest and I abide by my promises. When under any contract I fulfill the terms of that contract to the best of my ability. When my girlfriend and I buy a house together, we’ll be bound by the terms of the contract we sign, gender aside. Since the government has no reason whatsoever to doubt my ability to hold up my end of the marriage contract, nor to doubt hers, why shouldn’t we be allowed to form that pact between us?

I’m sure your post has offended someone, Johnathan. I’ve rarely seen such a clearly stated defense of an opinion. Since a well-written argument seems to irritate many people on the other side of the fence from the speaker, I’m certain that someone out there is simply steaming. *smiles happily* I, on the other hand, feel privileged to have read it. Thank you.

17. Vasot

Vasot Banned

And after your post i have to state these

WE DO NOT F*CKING CARE
    have a nice day with your gay girlfriend

18. Nicky-chan

Very well done statement, Desertnaiad. *kisses you* =)
    Id also like to say Johnathan you did a very well done statement too.

I dont see resone why not any gender female to female, gay to gay and sorts alike cant be contracted to live together not as in church but as in law and country.
    And if you are so blind that this is not about church laws then you should go back to grammer school cuz the States does not apply to religon and thats a fact if you want to believe it or not. And the States laws include marriage so that doesnt make it a religous factor cuz the USA does not apply to religon. And I didnt learn that in school but for those who dont realize that yet prolly need special schooling for help to get through your skulls and if your lucky into your brains.

So its a madder of you being anti gay and anti lesbian mainstream junky's with no veriety at all and are all plan old normal boring people.
    For all you fools who will post after me saying we are all wrong, I could care less about your post, so go play some games and spam servers with bs cuz you arnt gunna get any attention from me.

And Vasot set an perfect example of a fool and a jerk.

19. DesertNaiad

DesertNaiad New Member

*cherishes Elclair's kiss* Thanks dear. :) So, Vasot, is that the royal "we" or do you have a mouse in your pocket? *wonders who you're representing besides yourself* Since the entire thread is about gay marriage, and whether all Americans have the right to marry their loves, or if only straight ones do, I think mainman's declaration is at least as [font=&quot]pertinent [/font]as your rather rude reply to her. Oh, and I realize that I'm stating just my opinion. I guess I don't get to use the royal "we."

20. Nicky-chan

He wasnt speaking for me thats for sure. =P