Gay Sex in Dragons Age Origins causes uproar

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If I was Bioware for the next installment of the series I would have the option of 2 gay dragons to have sex. That will really piss people off.

2. LukeK

LukeK New Member

seems to be plenty of 'gay dragons' in this thread, shouldn't take much effort finding some ;)

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Reminded me of this:
    little boy: "Dad, where did I come from?"
    father: "A stork brought you."
    little boy: "Damn, dad, you'd really have sex with anything!"

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

:rofl: :rofl:

5. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

It's fine. I'm not offended.

RPG games with plenty of choices of dialogue like that game are really interesting because all the characters have a personality and a past that you get to know as you play the game.

It doesn't fit the stereotypical elf from dungoen and dragon novels but I don't mind. Long ago, I read some novels (The Dark Elf Trilogy) about a dark elf that was a good guy (something that should be impossible) and I enjoyed it even if it did not really fit with the stereotypical character.

6. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

My first reaction was what I posted: it's user choice so no problem. My second thought was that this is why there's need for ratings, because you have to be understand the dialogue to make that choice, and if you're a young kid and just explore and get there, you'll have a bit of a shock. My third thought was that even given that, I'd go with "make love not war". Games are mostly about war and violence, and even though I might find a gay love scene somewhat disturbing to watch, while being somewhat more anesthetised to violence (as I'm sure most people are), rationally the lovemaking is a better message.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  7. deBelly

deBelly New Member

In this context, it would be something like:

- Mommy, why are my ears pointed when you and dad both have round ears?
    - With all the wild parties we've had, be glad you don't have horns!

8. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

It may be unusual (at least I haven't seen this in any other game), but I don't see a problem there. And if it is a problem for someone then don't play the game, it is M rated after all...

9. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Rated M for man love.

10. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

The game has a 18+/Mature rating.
    Not saying that's going to stop them from getting a hold of them.

11. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Does anyone know where to get the music from this scene? I have a surprise for my GF :evil:

12. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Mmmmhh? .....okay cant say I give a sh**. I don't like gay scenes though ,I ALWAYS skip them when I can. Lest some of you here rewind and watch over and over again,and over again,and over again,and over again,and over again,and over again,and over again,and over again,

:D really is your own cuppa soup.

13. Trusteft

Gay scenes? There are more games with "gay scenes"? I thought it was this and Mass Effect only.

14. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

You actually have to pursue this "romance line" to get up to this scene. It's entirely optional, but you can do it as many times as you like..

Not that I can recall, except for maybe Second Life. There's plenty of mods out there, but those don't count.

15. pigdog

pigdog New Member

What is more acceptable; Tolerence or Intolerence?

I've seen too much intolorence lead to extremism - and it is often justified by means that cannot be tested for proof, but rather support themselves through engendering hate and discrimination.

Any form of fundermentalism is dangerous. Wheather it's religious, political, racial or anything else.

With so many terrible things happening all over the world on a daily basis, why would anyone want to get offended about other people's preferences when it comes to love?

Or isn't there enough hate in the world?

16. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

yeah whether your position regarding gays (double meaning intended :D)or disposition against someones beliefs or lifestyle fact is more hate doesn't solve anything they are people whether its genes, hormones, or just choice doesn't concern me in any way and fact is I don't wanna know what two men share together in the privacy of their homes :), I still find it icky AND no one can change that.:)

17. LukeK

LukeK New Member

such a melodramatic, politically correct statement which I personally am sick of hearing. Since when is two computer generated characters having gay sex in front of a campfire classed as 'love' ? I think a few people need to learn to differentiate between two grown men doing whatever they want in the privacy of their own homes with a group of coders forcefeeding fantasy style gay sex onto the screens of kids.

Its all well and good being righteous and seeming to tolerate a lot of things but at least get the facts right.

Incidentally any god fearing person believes that gay sex is wrong because it is clearly known that this is wrong. Not that I am a christian or anything, I just dont want to see this kind of garbage in computer games just so a bunch of spotty programmers can get seen in public for being controversial.

At least it gives a bunch of kids the opportunity to go onto forums and state how they are tolerant of everything ;)

18. Trusteft

The game has a 18+ rating.
    No kids allowed.

19. LukeK

LukeK New Member

sure, I bet that works. I keep forgetting how black and white this world is. Games like this are a part of the reason that the oversensitive parental groups come down so hard on gaming and it drives me nuts, because a lot of other good games get branded as having a negative effect on kids.

There is absolutely no need for it, it provides nothing positive for this game, it doesnt help develop the characters any further, its just titilation.

20. Trusteft

For me the facts remain, the game is an 18+ game, both in context and rating.
    The game doesn't force you to act in any "gay" way, what you do is entirely up to you.
    If parents have problem with it, then start acting like parents and check what games your kids play.

For me anyone who is very upset about even the option to have your character have "gay" sex, needs to read my signature.