Gay Sex in Dragons Age Origins causes uproar

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 24, 2009.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Just an observation on your debating, you start off by making an argument which, in today's society, would seem like heresy to challenge and then you build upon it, making everything you say automatically true. That's a fairly common tactic, but the thing is that the foundation upon which you build does not really hold. You began with implying "tolerance good, intolerance bad" (just like the motto from the "Animal Farm" which "wins" in every argument, "Four legs good, two legs bad!"), but the fact is that in every society there are things that are not tolerated, and often quite rightfully so, so that cannot be a valid starting point.

Also, speaking about tolerance in general, I'll paraphrase "South Park": the fact that it has been agreed to tolerate something does not mean that we (all) have to like it.

2. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

You don't get that scene unless you actively pursue it in game as I said earlier.
    I didn't get it myself when I played DA:O. Murder and such is far more widespread and unlike that scene it's unavoidable to advance in this game.

We are instinctively driven by design, and not reason, to reproduce, in an attempt to ensure the continuation of our species. Homosexuality, bisexuality or asexuality can be interpreted as simple deviation from this, or simply rebeling against nature if it's self-concious beings, etc.

Whether it's wrong or not, I can't answer with certainty. Thus I stand on neutral ground.
    I don't agree with violence, something easier to ethically define as wrong if you would, and this is far more widespread, encompassing just about every popular game nowadays. But let's remember these are games, mere works of fiction intended for entertainment. Play what you will.

3. iPlayer

IvanV is correct.

To prevent such nonsense you guys might want to take a look at before attempting an argument:
    Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reasoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Logic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I have the game and I was able to get this scene with the correct of discussion choices. I still don't mind. It fits into the game. Each party member is unique in his personallity and his way to speak to you.

Spoiler
    :Zevran (the elf) his the son of a whore. He was raised in a whore house. He got some experience with both sex there. Later, he was bought by an assassin guild and he became an assassin. The special "in bed" skills he learned in his childhood sometimes helped him complete his assassination missions.

In the game, each party member has an appreciation bar. At the beginning, every party member is neutral. As you get the bar toward 100% appreciation, your party member get bonus to their stats. There are four levels of bonus to unlock. The gay scene is just one of the ways to get to know Zevran better and increase his appreciation level.

5. LukeK

LukeK New Member

Absolutely correct - but the human race (or any other species for that matter) will never continue to exist if the male gender of the species try to reproduce. Anal intercourse does not lead to babies, regardless of whether it is one woman and a man or two men.

Again this is not a point to be argued. There are indeed many deviations from what is considered genetically 'correct' but I would like to add that regardless of this game having an 18 certificate or not, that many kids of 12-14 will play it and at this time in their life sexuality is a confusing thing. Sure we can say "they shouldn't be playing it' etc. but it happens.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I think you are probably a closet homosexual and because you can't, for whatever reason, set yourself free, you just have to fight signs of it anywhere you can find. It's sad really.
    So, basically Dragon Age Origins is now partly responsible for the end of the human race.
    I can see how that could be the case, but I am more worried about sexbots than homosexuals or Dragon Age Origins from achieving this.

7. IvanV

If a small kid gets it's hands on the contents that are really unsuitable for it, that's a parents' failure. Making everything safe and appropriate for 6 year olds is something that's really been going on my nerves for a few years.

Further on, I personally don't find those parental guidelines the Holy Gospel. A teen will be aware that there is a thing called homosexuality. Also, the likeliness that a teen has never seen any sexual content (regardless of age restrictions) is infinitesimally small. Therefore, I really don't think that this display of homosexuality, which, though obvious, is still rather tame in all honesty, would really shock even a younger teen.

8. LukeK

LukeK New Member

That is basically an insult (or what you would assume is an insult going on your assumption that I am really very anti gay - or even gay but afraid to admit it) - you expect me to flame you back? surely this is against your standing as a gold member? are we not allowed to debate these matters and share different opinions without resorting to name calling? I didn't call you a homosexual for having such an open minded stance on the subject did I? so I would assume at least some respect for my views. Have we such a narrowminded, shortsighted view of this that we have to label people on their views? I actually don't think sex in RPG's or any game is needed. unless its directly targeted to an adult age group. I don't care what people get up to in the confines of their own home, I just fail to see the need to detail it in a computer game. If you feel im gay or a closet homosexual, thats your views. Perhaps If I said in public that you are just one of the many of the politically correct masses who are afraid to offend anyone with their views then you would take offense? or perhaps I could call you a 'homosexual' for defending it so vehementally?

As melodramatic as you are trying to be to prove a point. I was merely quoting another user on his reasoning that men have sex with each other because they have the 'urge to reproduce' and explaining, that there is quite a difference between wanting to reproduce, and having a carnal urge to put your penis into anything warm. There is quite a difference between two consenting adults making love in their own home, than a group of 12-15 year old kids, deliberately trying to get two computer generated fantasy beings to have sex in front of a campire - its titilation and just a 'selling point' to get the publisher more $$$ (the plethora of free publicality with youtube public generated videos is testiment to this). If you want to think its 'innoncent and fine' thats great, you dont really seem to care about too much. I do - should it banned? certainly not, but its clear the reason for it being there is as a talking/selling point, not as a great reason to enhance the characters.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  9. iPlayer

No idea why I have to explain myself here.. The urge is inherently connected to reproduction. Except humans as conscious beings, knowing the consequences, may choose to have sex merely for the pleasure we get out of it. Cheating nature. We just don't agree on how much is too much.

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The fact that you see it as insult proves a lot. So, just for you let me make this clear, it wasn't an insult, or to be more precise in your case, it wasn't used as an insult.
    My gold member status is irrelevant to what you perceive as an insult. The problem is not what I said, but how you see things. If you had called me a homosexual I wouldn't mind. I don't see it as an insult and just for your info, I am not, but through my life I had friends who were and your attitude regards homosexuality is nauseating to me.
    Respect for your views, for these specific views, I do not have any. Respect for you as a human yes, for these views, no. I do not have any respect for views that are filled with hatred against your fellow man.
    I am not politically correct person, the fact that we are having this conversation instead of saying bs like "it's your right" or "I respect your opinion", I said exactly what I think. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't make it a PC stand. I have said it before and I will say it again, every human on this planet has every right to have sex with whomever they want, as long as it isn't forced. Like it or not homosexuals exist. The fact that the developers wanted to add an option for you (the player) to create this...relationship, in an RPG game too, is their right and understandable. While in general I do not want any "sex" scenes in my games because I find them irrelevant, as long as there are options I have no problem, be it hetero or homosexual.
    No one is forcing you or anyone else to have your character have sex with anyone. It's your decision, and this freedom is that you do not like. I have no respect for that either. Not because you are against the decision from a gameplay angle, but strictly for the hatred you have for gays.
    And for the nth time, the game has a 18 rating. If your kids play the game, it is your fault.

For the last paragraph...I just don't know what to say. You are just too much.

11. LukeK

LukeK New Member

Actually I said I assumed it was what you would perserve to be an insult. Perhaps you are too busy playing Dragons Age to pay attention ;)

Actually if you are trying to instigate flaming then I would assume it is actually extremely relevant to your position as a gold member. Aren't you guys meant to be the elite members of the community. You certainly wouldn't be giving me that impression.

Actually my attitude to sex in games is irelevant to what my personal stance on you or anyone else being gay is. Homosexuality is fine, if you want to partake in it and for some reason I get the feeling you do, so I sincerely do apologise if I offended you. Some gay people are very nice and not at all confrontational and defensive about their sexuality, however it appears some are.

I don't really care if you have respect for my views, I asked you to have some respect for differing opinions to yours on the forums. Shouting down others or assuming their sexuality in defense of your own is hardly productive or necessary. It would be much more productive for you to say "I really disagree with you, I feel the sexuality in this game is wide ranging and helps to portray the virtual characters as more three dimensional". its more productive than immediately assuming im making some basis of my posts in here as a foundation for my sexual real life preferences. I do find homosexual men to be very protective of their ideals. Understandable I guess when religion and genetics are really against them.

Of course they do, there are some in this thread, and I welcome the debate, its very enlightening. But this isn't a debate on your real life choices or what guys you like, its based on the subject "is sex in a game really necessary?" - the fact its two guys is a side issue - do we really need to see the awkward fumblings of two polygon based representations of people? I mean the fact they are wearing clothes in the game while having sex is quite amusing - did some clever coder patch that yet?. But I am merely making the point that perhaps its not suitable. You clearly think its fine if two people have sex or in fact perhaps take it a stage further and if the guys in the game had sex with maybe the dog? I mean some people practise beastility - is that ok in a game too? shall we make sure we don't offend those people. When does the line get drawn? Sex with woman? same gender sex? sex with children? sex with animals?

I actually think you are a really productive poster on this site and I have seriously admired some of your views in the past and this is really not what I would assume to be your general personality on the forums. I can only assume I have offended you and your beliefs , so I sincerely apologise.

12. IvanV

Is sex in a game really necessary is a tricky question. Of course it's not. But then, you can also have a game without blood, a game without dragons, a game without mushrooms, plumbers, weapons or anything harmful and harmless that does or does not exist in real life, but where do we end up when we start censoring just because something is "unnecessary"?

Role playing games are about character development and freedom of choice, about interacting with the game's world in a manner as realistic as possible (even if the world itself is a complete fantasy) and there is no particular reason why romantic interactions, which make an important part of our lives as well as many art works, often even when they do not have a central spot in a particular piece, would need to be left out. And when incorporating such an aspect in a game, there is again no basis to deny the player a choice which would be completely socially acceptable even in real life.

I don't want to leave the wrong impression that I was somehow thrilled because you can be gay in a video game. When I watched the video, I half expected that it will turn out to be a machinima until the very end. I find that sex is overused in so many areas of everyday life and I'm not too keen to see the same thing happen to video games one day (even if I was amused when I noticed that you could see Alyx's panties sticking out of her jeans a little in HL2). I also sometimes feel that homosexuality is being promoted too aggressively in the modern society. But with all that, I don't see this as something worth of making a fuss about.

13. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

Dragon Age Origins isn't really for kids to begin with. There are many concepts that I can think of that would scar the kid before he/she even gets to the "gay sex" part (not to mention it's an optional storyline as you don't even have to take in the elf to begin with, and you don't have to interact with him). In addition, it's not like you actually see any pervasive scene. It's really just 2 guys without any clothes and the game didn't show any private parts. I've seen worse in the gym locker back in high school. People are just trying to make something out of nothing, like the sex scene in Mass Effect and how Fox tried to uplay and cause an uproar in the gaming community. That said reporter had to later retract and apologize since she never even played the game, and just reported based on "information" she received.

14. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

That reminds me. I still haven't activated the lesbo scene in Mass Effect despite multiple playthroughs!

lol the blonde guy's Antonio Banderas impression made the video hilarious to me. Also after they were done, you could see characters in the background just standing around when they just did it in the open. lol