GeForce 3 Outperforms a Radeon 9800 Pro

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by NewsFactory, Aug 9, 2003.

1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

anther maketing ploy of a dieing company

nvidas drivers are otumized .. and dont render alot of inimportant stuff like DETAIL ,SPECAIL EFFECTS :D that it should... NVIDA DRIVERS OPENLY CHEAT AND CUT CORNERS TO OBTAIN HIGHER FRAMRATES

9800 pro woops nvida's butt over my geforce 4 ... 1942 runs supper smooth ..... even on my other system running a 1 ghz and a radeon 7200 with all detail at full everything is smooth...

2. HawK

HawK Banned

just one remark: NVidiots :)

Im sure my kyroII will be faster on a 3 ghz machine,
    if I bench my 9700 on a Intel 400mhz celly :duh:

3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

wait for nv420... gonna make nvidia look like their execs are down wit 420 if u know wut i mean and fuck up their company hopefully

4. XSwiftX

XSwiftX New Member

I long ago gave up 3dchipset as a valuable source of VALID information. The fact that they would even consider this news, and then defend it, is amazingly stupid.

5. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Here is something to consider:

1.4GHz T-Bird CPU
    133 FSB
    512MB PC2100 DDR
    DFI AK76-SN motherboard
    AMD 761 northbridge
    VIA 686 southbridge
    2 x Maxtor 20GB HDDs ATA100 RAID level 0
    Aureal SQ2500 SuperQuad sound card

two different vid cards were used in this system.... to test this theory.

nVidia:

VisionTek Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB

ATi:

Sapphire Radeon 9500 non pro (hacked and slightly overclocked)

The test:

UT2003:
    800x600 4xAGP 0xfsaa

approximatly the same result... the ATi is a tad faster......

I cant say as that I am surprised!

That site appears to be full of n00bs... but I will not jump to any conclusions.

6. Solomon

Solomon New Member

So quick to judge our results eh?

The fact that some are commenting with such hatred proves you either a) never tried it yourself or b) Are pure company bandwagoners and think because something is the latest is always better.

Some of you who can read at leasts understands the post. But most of you obviously can't read it correctly. This was for Battlefield 1942. Do some research on the game then come back here and say, "I'm retarded..." or, "This guy has no clue what he's doing". The whole post was to show what a non-geek individual might run into when buying upgrades, games, etc...

We already have some individuals in our forums who are agreeing and taking a different angle. One person has shown that the "Frame Buffer" on the 9800 Pro is crippled with a slow CPU. More about all of our findings will be shown.

So instead of seeing words like, "better", "worse", "slower", "faster", "ATi vs nVidia"... Maybe do a little reading up instead of jumping to non-hands on conclusions.

Regards,
    D. Solomon Jr.
    3DChipset.com

7. **G.I.BRO**

**G.I.BRO** To Have and to Hold

All im saying is that your article should of been more detailed than what it was. There was no merits given when the statement was giving... no benchies, no detailed drscriptions no nothing... just hersay.

You should know better than to post something like that without given detailed info out. This is why alot of people said what they said.

8. HawK

HawK Banned

Indeed, on my retarded opinion Solomon, this was solely posted to see what reactions you would get, and hopefully a big site-counter hit, well you have suckseeded in doing just that.
    3D chipset hmm? I wonder wich one. :hmm:

9. Solomon

Solomon New Member

I clearly said, on a low end system, "Only" Battlefield 1942 because he was a military guy... I can't help it if people didn't read between the lines and jumped to the conclusions they did... :rolleyes:

10. Solomon

Solomon New Member

My God! Don't you know how to read either? This has NOTHING!!! to do with ATi vs nVidia... Sheesh! Sue me if the GeForce 3 performed to his expectations. Why does it always have to be a nVidia vs ATi BS... How sad, fricken bandwagoneer

11. tek

tek New Member

If the GF3 outperformed the Ati 9800, wouldn't you see more people with the GF3 in their sig, instead of the 9800pro or 9700pro?

eh... ?

:confused:

12. Arikel

Arikel New Member

If people need to "read between the lines" in a news story, that's a problem with the news story, not with the readers. This isn't a storybook, it's ostensibly an informative article. It should spell things out, not leave them "between the lines".

13. Solomon

Solomon New Member

Blah! None of you get it... It was on a 1.7GHz Pentium IV, It was for Battlefield 1942. If you can't comprehend English then don't comment. I don't understand what is so difficult that it warrants retarded comments like, "Well if the GeForce 3 was faster then the 9800 Pro wouldn't people have the GeForce 3 in their Sig..." :rolleyes:

Apparently that person didn't read the post either. Sheesh! It's amazing how narrowminded some people are. Maybe I shouldn't of reported my findings. Didn't realize so many people can't read the post. Hmmmm. Pictures. Maybe I should of had a picture post. I know some of ya can relate to pics... :rolleyes:

14. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Mind you people can comment on this site as much as they like about your article, do I have to remind this is not your site to be telling people if they can or cannot post? I read your article and all the various comments following it. You should of changed the title to actually fit what the findings were about, the CPU not the GPU. I don't quite understand why anyone would own a 9800 Pro and not turn AA or AF which is 50% the reason for having this type of card in the first place never mind it also supports DirectX 9. Besides Solomon, where is your proof? You know that is where the pudding is. You put up this short article with no detailed analysis of your findings, then get all bent out of shape because people criticize you about it.

Either put up or shutup..lets see you put your money on the table.

15. Solomon

Solomon New Member

Another one who also can't read. I guess the part of, "We decided to throw in a 9800 Pro to see how it would react"... *Sigh*... There is nothing about "owning a 9800 Pro" in the post is there? Um..... Not that I can see. You're right they can comment on anything, but obviously commenting on something you are not interpertating correctly doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

16. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I can read thank you, but I don't understand why I would read the comments of a complete egotistical person such as you. Why would anyone own such a card and not turn on any of its prized functions? You are now defending your precious little article by quoting word phrasing now? Were not your own words under your own comments section talking about those unfortunate unknowing people out there buying such a card thinking it would boost their performance? However, saying that these same people who do not know better would purchase a Radeon 9800 Pro? The 9800 Pro is for the hardcore gamer, normally someone who understands what the card can do, and it's potential. Your whole argument is for the average "Joe" in which this person would buy such an expensive and top of the line video card. I can conjecture these same people if they are not going to put the money into fully upgrading their systems why would they buy a $400 video card? Ever hear of something called the Budget Video Card market? Many of these same people will not upgrade their video cards until they have upgraded their systems or purchased a new PC all together. So in me saying that your whole argument is made invalid. The point is you’re not just saying “oh in some games it appears it doesn’t matter what video card you have because it’s more CPU dependent stillâ€. What is your article’s title? That sums in up in a nutshell what your actually trying to get across. Now going around trying to defend your honor by attacking other people is rather pathetic. If you want to shut them up PROVE YOURSELF!

You have to understand if you are going to put up a site and do articles you have to face some criticism once in awhile. If you cannot be mature about it and take some of the fire that comes with this responsibility, maybe you should stay out of the kitchen if you can’t stand the heat.

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

BF1942 runs like crap without 512mb of ram too- Nobody mentioned this in that article.

I agree Necrosis.

I looked at some of the other "headlines" over there- "nVIDIA And ATI Collusion???, "
    Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb vs FX 5900 Ultra"

But then I hear him say, "This has NOTHING!!! to do with ATi vs nVidia... Sheesh!"-- Hmmm, funny a lot of other headlines have to do with ATI vs. Nvidia- And if the article has nothing to do with ATI vs. Nvidia, why does the title have "GF3 vs 9800 Pro" in it?-- Who is retarded? Not the people READING the article and commenting on it.

18. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

I can read quite well thank you...

On a CPU limited game it is a proven fact that no matter what video card that you use the outcome is going to be so close that there is almost no differance at all.

You are saying simply this:

The game is CPU limited, and on the Radeon 9800 Pro it runs like crap.

HMMMMMM... That in and of itself is a huge contradiction in terms.

Since the game in question is system limited, and not video limited... my best guess is ... something is either FUBAR with the software, or FUBAR with the hardware.

I tested a CPU limited game (UT2003) using two different video cards and the differance between the two was about 2-4% I used the slowest system that I owned to run these tests on ... a 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird... (Which is by no means a speed demon)

With both cards the game ran flawlessly, and I experianced none of the problems that you were having with your 9800 Pro (either it is yours, or it isnt... doesnt matter... it was in your possession)

Now, I have no clue as to why you were having problems... could be that the game was still setup for the Geforce, and you didnt run the configuration to set the game up for the Radeon... This is a real possability.

BF1942 is not the only CPU limited game out there.... to improve the outlook on your findings ... it might have been wise to include several of these CPU limited games... with a fresh install of windows when changing out the hardware.

If your findings were consistant across the board on the CPU limited games ... more people would be more apt to believe the findings... and look into the matter.

There is also the whole "unknown motherboard, and chipsetâ€.... A full listing of the hardware, and the software (this includes drivers) along with several benchmarks on several CPU limited games might have lended to a broader picture, and possibly a better prospective on what might actually have gone wrong.

Now as far as you coming in here and making broad comments about the members on this forum... this is uncalled for, and it will not be tollerated.

This is typically a very friendly forum... but, there is no reason to call any of the members here "illiterate"

Your findings in their current form is flawed, and I believe that you might want to consider going back to the drawing board, and working out a better way of presenting your findings.

This is just my 2 cents...