GeForce FX 5800 Ultra Review@HEXUS.net but is it accurate?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 27, 2003.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

GeForce FX 5800 Ultra Review @ HEXUS.net, but is it accurate?

Yes, another review to follow on from the Anandtech and Tomshardware articles today. This time its a UK based site, testing done inhouse courtesy of a card supplied by the UK Nvidia branch. How acccurate though is this review? its quite a contradiction to Anandtechs, and lets be honest, who can doubt the integrity of Anandtech?

Check out the review here

ZARDON: A little biased? Have Nvidia forced this review into something positive? check out the details in our forum

2. HardwareHeaven

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=6733 an interesting debate going on with this review over at NVnews.

if you read Volts first comments "What in hell is "Wonderful looks"?
    They obviously ran out of Pro's there."

and he is one of the forums supermods.

some interesting threads happening over there ATM, and its not often I see some home based staff speaking like that.

3. David

David Banned

hexas on crack? Im in utter shock they are the only review site that liked the card. How about saying it had better image quality ?? erm go read anands review check the image quality benches. Its truly sad how bias some reviers are and this is obviously a paid review.

4. HardwareHeaven

5. Channelsurfer

Channelsurfer New Member

I have to agree with you David. There certainly seems to be something wrong with the conclusions drawn from the testing at Hexus.

The GFX is not a card ahead of it's time, but rather an experiment designed to siphon money from the pockets of jaded fools that has gone horribly wrong. Lot's of cash dumped into an overheated dustbuster that no driver updates will ever cure, and will undoubtedly led to many housefires as it causes fires in peoples computers.

Seriously, I feel embarrassed for the Nvidia company and all their "nvidiot" fanboys.

If someone tries to tell you that their drivers need to mature, just answer back that the next version of Catalyst will blow them away.... on current hardware, never mind the new stuff about to be revealed to further embarass Nvidia.

Yes, I only own 1 Nvidia product. I have 3 ATI cards at this time, and have owned others over the years... but still, I would be the first to pat Nvidia on the back if they produced something worthy of the upgrade dollars, but they clearly have not. :uhoh:

6. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

hummmm, guess I ain't gonna rush right out and buy one then. I hope the Ti4600 prices bottom out or the ATi 9700 Pro prices drop.

7. HardwareHeaven

I mean can you seriously imagine playing a game online and running around enjoying the visuals, getting some good kills and then WHAM...... downclocks (temps too high)...... and you lose framerate !!!!

It just is mind blowing unbelievable, and I cant comprehend the details of all of this atm, I need a few days for all this to actually sink in as being a reality and not some hideous nightmare.

I keep thinking im going to wake up.

8. David

David Banned

LOL, I bet ATi are just standing laughing in their offices and cant stop. This is totally insane. I still am in utter shock on how awful a debut this is.

9. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

If y'all don't mind, I think I would like to say that nVidia has crashed and burned on this one, and is really going to need to pull a miracle out of it's ass to save it's crown...

10. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

They lost the crown a while ago and it looks like it will stay that way for a good while too...I think I need a new avatar :rolleyes:

11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

ROFLMAO~~~~~~~

What? There's something interesting going on over at nVnews? Hmmm....it appears that there's at least one smart-arse over there with me name, avatar, & sig and he's being VERY sarcastic about the whole FX thing. :hmm:

I haven't had fun over at Hexus yet, after the Anananananda review I figured everything else would just be downhill. (Although Tom's was really good for a few hearty chuckles ;) )

I'm on my way over to Hexus now...I promise I won't start much trouble... :evil:

12. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

I'm sure you can force it to maintain max speed. Of course the downside is that you'll probably have to reduce the OC on your CPU due to the massive amounts of heat produced or fry your GPU.

I'm not sure how much H2O cooling will do. I'd imagine the cooler is pretty efficient.

13. HardwareHeaven

if the GPU overheats, it clocks down. the cooler im sure is efficient it would need to be to cool a 500 core. unfortunately its also rather loud atm at 70db.

14. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

ahh...that's better :evil:

15. HardwareHeaven

:wtf: :lol:

16. edperks

edperks Life is Good

Looks like the 9700 hurt more then their reputation and pocket book it made them make a bad deccisions on the design of the new card. I was looking forward to buying one to upgrade my ti4200 looks like I will be getting a 9700 instead.

17. ztride

ztride New Member

ATI fans are probably saying "booyah!" to nvidia kids....

but all this means to me is that there would be more competition, hoping either nvidia prices go down or just stronger stuff from both sides. Hope ati won't boost their prices to nvidia though...

(did they say they have some 3Dfx technology within this card?)

18. Channelsurfer

Channelsurfer New Member

Sure looks like it.... that thing is huge. And the sucking sound of that fan and the nvidia hype machine!! all those game makers on the nvidia vacumn cleaner train.

Even the 4600 was a big card.... don't think those folks at nvidia know what they're doing... my AIW 9700 Pro is a lot smaller... plus it performs better too!

Wonder how long it will be until heads start rolling at nvidia.... their top brass were out in force with the fairy team on this thing tough weren't they:D

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

9700 Pro for me! WTF has Nvidia been doing for the last year? That's what I want to know! probably trying to figure out how to save face after the way-to-late release of their "flagship" GFFX. Wow, just think, if they only used 256bit memory, maybe all the hype would be true. Maybe next year all the work they did on the .13 micron gpu will pay off.
    But ATI will probably have an answer for that by then, so where does that leave Nvidia? Looks like the big fat cats got a little too comfortable at the top!

20. Data1232

Data1232 New Member

I dunno, I'm deciding to skip the current generation and go for the R350. So far the FX seems like a big joke that Nvida decided to throw out...go figure...:rolleyes: But i'm still interested to see what the NV35 will be like...:lol: