GeForce FX 5800 Ultra Review@HEXUS.net but is it accurate?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 27, 2003.

1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Go to the Nvidia website and look- you would think there would be GFFX all over the place, But not one mention of it accept for a little box in the upper right corner.
    Man, they must be dying over there. Their whole front page is all about the Quadro's and NVDVD-
    Remember all the crap about "Are you ready?" and not letting anyone see all the video's they put out? Man, what a joke. The sad thing is, they knew the whole time exactly what was going to happen, they had the card- they new it wasn't everything they were saying it was.
    Then they call a ti4200 w/ 8X AGP a ti4800!

Nvidia is screwing up bad, I wonder if they even realize it?

2. Channelsurfer

Channelsurfer New Member

If nvidia doesn't know how badly the've been screwing up, the rest of the world seems to be waking up to that fact.

I've just been over reading Slashdot.... man some funny comments over there about the card that sucks and blows at the same time.

Scary thing though, there remains a few nvidia fanboys that use the thread to rip ATI drivers.

I do hope that ATI follows through and keeps on getting better and better. Even though they won't have as much fun beating up nvidia now that they have revealed themselves as unworthy adversaries.

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

I'M READY!!!

And loving it!!! :evil: I just love it when the mighty get all cocky and stumble. ;) (Me LOVES the new avatar Mark! :lol: )

4. David

David Banned

Sorry but this is just plain funny:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really cant comment on my disapointment .IMO this is worse than the martrox card launch and makes the r8500 launch look perfect.:confused: :wtf:

5. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

All I'm saying I'm sure you can bypass things if you really wanted to. I understand the concept of CPU/GPU throttling. If I remember the review correctly though, the GPU was OC'd, so unless you have crap cooling in your case, the chances of it throttling back mid-game aren't that great.

70db is what one review indicated, others were less. Bottom line is that it sounds like a 60MM 7-8K Delta.

ATI is in a great position and I'm happy nVIDIA got knocked on their ass after all the "Are you ready" BS. Hope they like the taste of humble pie because I'll bet they will be eating it for a while.... Dave Orton did a great job @ SGI and I'm sure the trend will continue.

*Edit... one other thing I love seeing (not to be mean hearted)... is all the guys @ nvnews that are eating crow. Uttar is frantically searching for some redeeming quality of the FX... and he has none. :lol:

6. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Yeah . . . Voodoo2, apparently :rolleyes:
    Too bad you can't put the FX's in SLI

7. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

8. ExitiosuS

ExitiosuS Simian Masterpiece!

I love competition. Finally, this will drive the price of the 9700 down, because by all the benchmarks, whether one can admit it or not, the FX wins. (Of course, in saying that I'm going at an average)
    Until DirectX9 comes out though, one can't really say which is better until it performs on a dx9 game.

And you know what's funny, you guys are just as bad as the "NVidiots" because you're doing exactly what they did when they were on the top. Truly sad, because I loved ATi cause they DIDN'T boast their lead(price vs. performance is what I paid for), etc... I thought that was for the "NVidiots" to blast me with hot air, now all I hear is this babble coming from ATi, and it's not right. Makes me almost want to buy a Ti4600 because it's so dirt cheap now and it's a great card, overall.

A sub 300 dollar (Canadian) great card. What more can I ask? And as for Drivers, ATi has done nothing but disappoint me in terms of drivers.

And what else is funny, the first reviewer that offers a compliment to the NV30 gets blasted and being accused of getting paid for what they're doing. If that's not the most biased thing I've ever heard. "Hm, since it compliments the NV30, it must be fake!"

As for NVidia, that was a pretty pathetic gain for all that they said it would be, etc... (in DX8.1) I was expecting more than that. Nonetheless, by the benchmarks (even if you win by 100, as in the message above, it's still a win. As far as I'm concerned, if a runner wins by 1 second, they won. You don't go, "Well, they didn't win by much, so they're not a winner.")

Anyways. That's my opinion of the subject.
    Whatever one can sell me in the Price vs. Performance range is going to be my obvious pick. That's why 3dfx was great, they were good on my wallet. Gotta love 'em.

9. digitalwanderer

Oh pagh!

If it's a victory, it's a pyhric victory at best. :p

10. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

How about an equivalent card for $50-$75 less? :p

11. Scoop

Scoop DriverHeaven Alcoholic

I can certainly say it still makes my old overclocked geforce 4 ti4600 look pretty good after I benchmarked the 5800. The sound issue will bug the hell outta people espically those who are striving for the quite pc.
    Still we will have to wait and see whats going happen, I just keep thinking 3dfx and those huge voodo 5 s they brought out before there death. Hope this dosent happen as where will we all be, theres no one eles other than ATI at the minute.

Scoops thought of the day!

Regards
    Scoop

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  12. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Hey 8500 why dont you send me a link over to the thread that rip our drivers? I think its time I get in there and do some educating.

13. digitalwanderer

Too late, that was yesterday morning on slashdot....by now it's old news. ;) (You have GOT to be quick for your posts to matter over at slashdot, that's why I never post there much.)

If you feel the need to 'educate' someone I'd suggest here at nVnews , although I'd recomend ya bring a clue-by-four with you, some of these fellows are stubborn!

If nothing else you'll get to see the weirdness of me defending ATI's drivers...who'd of thunk it? ;)

14. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

I must admit I am quite happy to hear that. I have been reading your slams for quite a while now and since we now have the DW seal of approval we must be doing something right huh? Now get out there and preach some more for me! :D

15. Quinn1981

Quinn1981 New Member

3Dfx was going into a downard spiral. I seriously doubt nVidia is doomed; yet. They also have other products that support them. Don't they also have quite a bit of money?

After reading more and more it seems like everyone expected more. In fact, they expected nVidia perfection. nVidia was expected to live up to their own image. Now, everyone knows they are human.

Let's not forget the nForce's first crappy numbers. nVidia had a little booboo, so they fixed it with hard work. I think we can expect nVidia to step up and fix their mistakes with either GFFX improvements before and after launch or with chip revisions. Isn't that what happened with the nForce2? nVidia tried something new, and learned from past mistakes.

I thought we were all supposed to focus on the hardware mostly and not the hype. If people are so not concerned with hype, then why the fuss?

Like a debunked religion, the GFFX hasn't lived up to it's hype. Are we all religious fanatics here, or level headed consumers that have certain tendencies to like certain hardware?

16. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

"booyah, reno!";)

3dfx technology was used - making huge cards and also they used ABIT OTES technology on standard cards?! :wtf: And I was thinking that AMD has gone too far with Thunderbird heating (and big heatsinks etc.) - but NV has shown (on graphic card example) that there is always someone that can go further.

17. digitalwanderer

Well, to quote Han Solo...

"Don't get all cocky on me now kid!" ;)

You guys are doing a great job, and I really have seen a turn-around in the quality of your drivers and ATI's response to issues. I must admit it's impressive and it really seems that ATI has made a commitment to putting out quality drivers and that the section on your website for feedback is a big sign of change to me in your responsiveness to your customers issues.

Great job, now just keep it up. :)

18. deftool

deftool New Member

im sticking to ati, nvidia did have a good run for a while but now they are just getting lazy and they expect people to buy whatever they slap their name on. screw that. wtf is with that leaf blower on the card.

19. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

IMO the only card to buy right now for the gamers with money is the 9700. without a question. Nvidia DONT even have the age old and worn out debate of driver issues anymore to encourage new buyers. Lets hope the media latch onto this.

20. David

David Banned

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GF FX in SLI
    [​IMG]

HEH sorry had too......:lol: :evil: :D :p