GeForce FX 5800 Ultra Review@HEXUS.net but is it accurate?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Quinn1981

Quinn1981 New Member

hehehe. i hadnt seen the space ship and plane one. :D

the hair dryer is the best so far though.

EDIT: place=plane

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  2. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Hahaha...that's really :evil: I like it :D

3. David

David Banned

close-up of the hair dryer :
    [​IMG]

LMFAO this has to be the most fun i have ever had at a product launch. Ill give NV that.

4. XSwiftX

XSwiftX New Member

You are forgetting a couple things here. First Nvidia themselves were the ones that over-hyped this card. The fact that it has not lived up to the hype is squarely nvidia's fault and they deserve to be lashed publically for it. After all in the past they openly and loudly trashed all their competitors cards. And lest you forget nvidia did get busted a couple years back for trying to bully websites into giving good reviews under threat of losing "privaleges". The FX is barely beating , or losing depending on the review, the 9700 pro. But the ATI drivers are still a bit buggy, though vastly improved, and there is still alot of room for improvement. A real good set of drivers from ATI could possibly push the 9700 over the FX by a good margin. The R350 based cards are going to be hitting the market soon and there is no way the FX will come close to them in performance.

It always amazes me to see the reaction of people when their choice of hardware gets bested, repeatedly, and all their past gloating comes back to haunt them. It happened with the Intel/AMD thing, 3DFX/Nvidia, and now Nvidia/ATI.

Some strking similarities to 3dfx's past mistakes are apparent in the launch of the FX. Overly-hyped, under performing according to the hype, and not to mention released way to late. If this card had been on time it would have had a big edge over the 8500's. But instead it comes out at a bad time and has severly disapointed. Reminds me sooooo much of the V5 5500 release. Maybe Nvidia got more then just technology from 3dfx, starting to look like they bought all the bad decision making processes as well. :)

5. David

David Banned

Another I had to post saw this joke on the net.

Three nVidia employees and three ATI employees are at a train station getting ready to head to a tech symposium. Putting all company issues aside, they start talking convivially and have a good time of it. When it came time to buy the tickets, each of the three nVidia employees bought tickets, but they noticed that the three ATI employees all pooled their money and got one ticket.

"What in the world are you guys doing? They'll never let you pass with just one ticket!" blurted the leader of the nVidia trio, flabbergasted.
    "Don't worry about it," one of the ATI reps replies; "Watch and learn."

They board the train, and before the conductor can come by and take the tickets, the ATI reps slip into a bathroom. The conductor comes by, taps on the door, and asks "Ticket please." The door cracked open, and a single hand slid out to give the ticket to the conductor. When the conductor had passed by, they slipped out of the bathroom and took their seats. The nVidia employeed were stunned.

On the way back, the two groups met at the rail station. With a gleam in their eyes, the three nVidia reps pooled their money and bought a single ticket. The ATI guys all smiled, skipped the line, and got right on the train.

"What are you doing now? You can't ride without a ticket!" exclamed one of the nVidia reps.
    "We've got it covered, you'll like this one" replied one of the ATI reps.

Both groups boarded the train. Immediately, they all went and hid in the bathrooms. Before the conductor could come by, one of the ATI reps slipped out of the stall, tapped on the nVidia reps' bathroom door, and said "Ticket please...."

6. Quinn1981

Quinn1981 New Member

But I thought it was nVidia who steals things from ATI; like employees. :rolleyes:

7. ExitiosuS

ExitiosuS Simian Masterpiece!

No, I wasn't forgetting that. I don't recall saying that NVidia smoked it, either. I said it BEAT the 9700(Because frankly, I hate it when people say that it didn't beat it by enough. That's just plain silly). And yes, I agree, ATi's drivers have come a long way(Because EVERY card I own is by ATi, so don't even think of accusing me of being an NVidia kid or not knowing what I'm talking about when I say the drivers aren't good, cause I was big with 3dfx and I held quite a grudge until I saw ATi doing what I hated about NVidia. Well, actually, it's more ATi's fans that piss me off, anymore)... But the same goes for NVidia in this case, eh. NVidia, if they make a good driver set for the FX, it might push its lead farther ahead. Sort of like what their Detonator 40s did for their cards. Quite an outstanding driver set. As for getting busted a couple years back for bullying websites, I don't see how this review could be one of those cases. It was just, it offered compliments as well as insults. If NVidia paid them or bullyed them, they must have done quite a crappy job at it. At least in my experience, when a company pays another website off, they do a good job establishing that the card is superior(Or, maybe they just offered them five bucks and they wrote a review like this). As a plus, right now, I don't see a need for them to bully websites when people such as yourself hold their past against them. And ALSO, like I said, the only true test of performance between the ATi and NVidia card is on a Dx9 game. You can't do an offroad test on an offroad vehicle on a smooth highway and say, well that offroad vehicle performs better than the other. It doesn't work.

And from the sounds of it, you seem like one who's a little too into ATi. That kind of bias isn't good, especially in judging which kind of card is better in the long run. As for the R350, how do you know that will be a card which won't overpromise and underdeliver? You seem to be pretty confident about it, and for what reason? Or, the NV31-NV35 is going to underdeliver as well? The Radeon 9000 Pro would be an example of underdelivering, because the 8500 owns it at a lower price. Why don't you hold that against ATi? Oh yes, I forgot. The Bias. At any rate, I'm not placing my money on either. I'm hoping another company can join the war, again.

Speaking of the R350, isn't that using .13, too?

Anyways.
    Before you say I'm saying the NVidia card is raping the ATi card or anything about how I'm shocked that NVidia underdelivered in DX8.1, remember... I own all ATi cards, I posted because I was ticked that the second a positive review came out (or it seemed positive) it got questioned of its accuracy. But every negative review which came out, it stood and you laughed about it.

And, I repeat, I said that it WINS in performance, not SLAUGHTERS the competition. A win is a win. There's no such thing as a close-win, because that's noted as a LOSE.

8. Quinn1981

Quinn1981 New Member

I think the issue was that they didn't test thuroughly enough. Yes, it was accurate, but not in depth. If I knew that was the topic before... I wouldn't have posted. :rolleyes:

I thought the review was a rip off. In the future, we will be all gaming with anistropy and FSAA... even the value cards. nVidia knows this. They tried to make a card to do it. It's just not working well now or will never work. It's a simple concept.

As for the rest of the stuff, you either like ATI or nVidia, what's the big deal. I've made the comparision before with trucks... you either like Chevy or Ford. It's nice to play around bashing the one you hate no and again, but no one should get their little panties in a wad. I should also mention that my first two video cards were ATI cards and I have recommended ATI card for certain people based on their personality.

I totally agree with ExitiosuS. Fun to debate, but some take it to far. You like what you like.

9. Forge

Forge New Member

Vamphyr.. - SLI FXes??? You'd have no PCI slots left!!!

Where you gonna put your SCSI/RAID/LAN/etc??

The new nForce3 with DualPCI technology... A second row of PCI slots on a backplane to strap to the side of your case.... Since the SLI FXes ate your first six.

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

In video card terms, a win is a loss if the winning card was hyped to beat the competition by 1/3 and it does no such thing. A win is also a loss if the winners card costs 150 dollars MORE for a very small increase in performance. A win is a loss if the win is by such a small margin AND the winning card sounds like an F-18 fighter jet while the competition remains at normal decible level. Unless it improves alot, the GFFX is a failure on so many levels. Would I take one for the same price as a 9700pro? Sure. Would I shell out 150 (or more) dollars MORE for one? Not a chance. I bet there are millions of potential Nvidia customers who feel the same way.

11. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

LOL
    THIS IS AWESOME.

12. ExitiosuS

ExitiosuS Simian Masterpiece!

Obviously you're forgetting there are other factors in determining whether a graphics card is better than another. If you've already forgotten, it won in 3dmark and a whole lot of other games, AND its IQ is better than the 9700, so say the reviews. (I think all of the reviews, I need to check that out...)

But, you must've forgotten about that when you saw the 350fps and didn't bother to look at the image which you should really care about in most circumstances ~ games as an example.

In this case, so say the reviews(Once again), it beats it in IQ and it also beats it in FPS in most cases. And you know what, there are a ton of Image Quality fanatics out there ~ and if this card has the quality which I've heard it does, that's a win over the competition. Better IQ and better FPS. Good enough for me. And for 150 bucks you get good drivers, excellent IQ, and top performance...... Then...? If you're willing to spend 300-500 dollars, what's stopping you?

And another thing, as for the sound, I'm going to wait until the real thing comes out when they've "improved" on that before I judge the sound.(And there're other 3rd party manufacturers that'll get ahold of it and improve on that) Not that they will, but according to NVidia, they should. And anything that sounds like an "F-18" will definitely get some attention at a Lan Party. ;)
    lol.

But anyways,
    We'll have to see what the near future has in store for the FX. As of right now - it wins. IQ is the thing that matters nowadays, we've already achieved 300fps, now I want realism. (Not that we can see 300fps.......heh)

13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I think the frames per second is actually worse in most cases with a GFFX with AA and AF maxed out compared to a 9700pro- That's all I really care about anyway, so what if it wins in 3dmark w/o AA and AF enabled. I play all games w/ AA and AF maxed out on the card I got now if at all possible, so you know when you get a GFFX you will be too. It just sucks that it doesn't do as good with all the eye candy turned on- that's what the card was made for. I hope it's retail version will prove everyone wrong, but it aint lookin good.