Get a Mac? Apple release smug new anti Windows 7 ad

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 23, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Ok, lets not get too carried away with the title, I like to make sure you guys read our news so its a sure way to get you viewing.

We all know about the Windows v Mac ads which have been going on for years now and I find them quite funny on both sides of the camp. Basically because im one of the few people who actually like (and use daily) both the Microsoft operating systems and Apple's Unix based OSX. Its also only an operating system, im not married to either.

This latest ad is basically poking fun at the Windows 7 launch, with some of the public stating they are moving to the "Number One Computer for Customer Satisfaction".

I love flaming the fire, so please feel free to vent in here about your "OS views".

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Buy a mac... install windows 7...

weee!

3. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Well let's face it the commercial is pretty dumb in the sense that they play on the media's take on all of windows operating systems and not on the take of people who actually posses enough brain power to know that vista wasn't a flaming pile of crap.

To be honest, after the initial patching Vista turned out to be much better for my used than XP ever was. I also like how (i might have missed it but) they didn't include windows 2000 but they did include ME and thats a low ball shot because ME WAS the REAL flaming pile of microsoft.

In any case the commercial really poses no valid argument whatsoever IMO

also I'm sorry but when I use a Mac I feel like I'm playing with an iPod on steroids. Which I guess is basically the case now since they run the same platform. ;)

Mousey likes this.
  4. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

is that one of the guys from The Daily Show ??

anyway, the 'if we have to move all our stuff anyway..' bit made me smile.
    especially as i read this while i was getting my ass whooped on cs:s last night: >link<

some of the timescales that guy mentions... :eek:

5. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

yeah......im thinking that his "high powered" computers can't be all that high taking that long. when I installed 7 on my main rig it was like ZOOOOOOOM "hey im done already wanna do stuff?"

But I guess not a lot of people have super fast computers or something but really? I can't believe he waited that long hung at one spot. I would have restarted it twice or three times by then and then said "WTF?"

6. EfrainMan

EfrainMan Active Member

Gee, pay $120-200 for a new OS...or if I'm "going to move my stuff anyway" pay (barring a mini) $1000+ for a Mac...I dunno tough choice...

7. Judas

Yeah that's apples Advertising logic for you

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

1) I find it, let's say, offensive with the PC users in the background, like they (we) are a lower class than Apple users. I won't get into more details or else I will say some nasty things.

2)It's a funny ad.

3) Why is it better in terms of time and money to install and move all your stuff to a new computer than upgrade your OS on your current system? We can't all buy new computers whenever we upgrade our software.

9. A Desire to Game

A Desire to Game HardwareHeaven Hoosier

I feel that the crowd Mac commercials appeal to are the ones that have more money than common sense.

10. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I have used both Mac & PC systems over the years. Mac mostly at work. PC at home.

I don't know how Apple get away with their bullshit ads. They try and promote an idea that Windows PC are constantly crashing and Mac OS is easy and bomb proof.

As someone who has used both I can say that it's complete bollocks. Whenever I use a Mac I feel constrained. It's hard to say why - a Windows OS makes me feel like I am in control.

That's a common theme with Apple. Yes they have exquisite design and quality but it does feel like you are expected to fit into the Apple ideology rather than fitting the Apple hardware to you and what you want to do.

11. HardwareHeaven

Interesting points Jac :) I have to say I feel equally at home on both OSX and any Windows OS, I guess its maybe cause I was using Apple from 1988-1989 in the Plus days (black and white screens and no hard drives), and saw the evolution of both OS6-OS9-OSX and Dos- Windows 7. I tend to play with Linux too when I can although I find it more a constant battle (which is fun too) rather than a productive OS.

Personally I love to build my own PCs and have the freedom to create what I want and how I want it and with Vista and Win 7 you have a killer gaming platform. Yet on the other hand I have yet to find a laptop which i love anywhere close to the 17 inch Macbook pros (fit my own SSDs in them) - and I find OSX the perfect OS for all my design requirements (most of DH and the content on it was designed on OSX). Yes, I love all hardware - im a tech hippie.

[​IMG]

12. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

This add should be done

[​IMG]

13. HardwareHeaven

While funny thats actually another myth, you can upgrade most macs quite easily. one of my macbook pros, I put in 8gb of ram, an SSD and even changed the CPU. my mate has a mac desktop and I upgraded his CPU, ram, hard drives and video cards.

Its certainly not as easy as you would find on a PC, but its quite often very possible.

Its actually as much a myth that Mac users say PC's crash all the time. thats equally nonsense. The windows OS has to deal with a much greater variety of hardware than a predefined set of components that Apple cater for.

Wish I had time to write up a "myths exposed' to both sides of the mac/pc fanbase, cause I think most people would listen to someone who knew a lot about both platforms. Nonetheless I always find it amusing to see those videos, even when I know Apple are really just making a lot of things up to look good (same with some of the recent MS ads too).

14. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I also think Apple products are overpriced and there are hardly any game that support it , that's the major requirements for me the price and games support.
    Hehe , where is DH Win7 vs OSX comparison already ?

15. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

correct me if I'm wrong, but don't mac stores sell macs with Windows XP, MS Office and an Intel processor?

how is that a "mac" anyways?

16. HardwareHeaven

Well most people think the same thing, im telling you this however, the 17 inch macbook pro is certainly not overpriced. I have had 3 laptops in my office fail in a year with the work I put through them. my 2 year old macbook pro has been on 24/7 since it was bought and hasn't crashed once, and ive only taken it apart once to give it a dusting out. It still looks brand new and has travelled approximately 50,000 miles as I fly around the world. Do you think doing most of the design work for DH and maintaining this site for 2 years hasn't been worth the 2 grand it cost. ?

I don't think we need to do that - its a very different audience really, most PC users are more price conscious, or they want to overclock the nuts off their desktop or to possibly game extensively. A macintosh buyer just wants something that looks great without any possible hassles and isn't that bothered about gaming. (although I played COD4 and the age of empire series on OSX recently and they look just like the windows versions with the right hardware and you can also run half life games and more with a third party program which handles the steam client natively in OSX).

17. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

If so , then it deserves of course especially for businessmen who travel a lot and have much work to do like yourself but for me I feel I am not in need of a laptop anyway , maybe after graduation :D

I just assumed that since you made Vista vs OSX .

18. HardwareHeaven

Yeah Peter wrote that for us, he is very educated on both platforms, but I dont think we need to really follow it up as the new snow leopard and win 7 aren't dramatically different. was a good read though.

19. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Don't forget the new 27" imac. That thing is a beauty and at a very good price range (mainly thanks to the monitor, but still).

20. Judas

Got to fiddle with another mac awhile ago.. a little ibook G4 actually (the newest revision)..

aside from the "getting" used to the different mouse/layout mechanics... it was like playing with a windows xp...

Things works for the most part as intended...

I'm just really interested in working with a mac..... everything i want to do.. i can do on a windows OS already..... there really isn't any reason for me to play with the Mac OS X

And i'm going to have to dig this up again because it's just great:

procupine14 likes this.