Getting a Bike?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Duranix, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Duranix

Duranix New Member

Yup, Thats right!

Lil old Duranix is getting a MOTORBIKE!

he just needs to know what type to get. Hes not 16 yet (or however old you ahve to be to ride a bike on the roads), but he probably will ride the thing to school when hes old enough :lol:

He WILL however, use it offroad ALOT, but hes just a beginner, and doesn't know what type of bike to get.

So he asks Zardon, the bike lover of DH, and all the other Bike people at DH.

Sorry for sounding like an arsehole, and for talking in the third person ;)

so what type of bike should i get?

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

first question, where do you live? also have you any experience on bikes at all to this point?

3. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Funny thing, I was thinking of getting a bike too, and am in a similar situation, so I'd be happy for advice as well.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. 4 pretty equal seasons. I live in a rural area, small family farms on my road, town has about 500 people, high school buses people from up to 40 minutes away, and has about 300 people total.
    Negligable experience on bikes. I've been driving cars/trucks for a couple years, mostly standard. Planning on taking a safety course on bike riding when I get around to getting a bike.

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

ive really gotta see about getting my dads old bike out and get it running. id really like to start rideing that thing this year.

5. HardwareHeaven

I think a great bike to learn on especially in your sitation with small family farms in your area would be a nice small trail bike (light and easy to throw about, durable and easy to pick up if you fall). Im not sure what bikes you get in canada but i would personally stick with a low maintenance 4 stroke engine from one of the japanese makers.

6. Dark Lord

i wouldnt suggest a yahmaha mini trail bike. ive got one of those (ok several, got 5 of them for about 100 bucks total. some day theyll all be canabalised and turned into 2 good bikes) those suckers weight atleast 300-400lbs. i knocked one over, good god was that a pain in the ass to pick back up.

7. HardwareHeaven

400lbs here is like 181 kilograms which is more than my 1000 cc yamaha sports bike so unless you have some ancient small trial bike made of lead I think you might have your weight figures a little mixed up. I mean something like a Yamaha DT125 (which is a 2 stroke) weights around 116kg which is really light and easy to use.

8. Dark Lord

nope, that weight is correct. the bikes were made back in the 60s and early 70s. completly solid metal and weight a ton.

whoops, my mistake. its a honda.

[​IMG]

ill see if i can find the actual weights on htem.

could only find the wieght of them in the mid 80s. at that time, they weighted 153lbs, dry. i know the older ones were much heavier, since it took both me and my dad to pick one up.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  9. HardwareHeaven

yeah thats pretty ancient though, the materials are heavy and the styling is 30 years old :)

[​IMG]

thats how a modernish trial bike looks.....

10. Dark Lord

heh yup, but they also bring in a pretty penny fully restored. some where in the area of 1500-2000 american.

11. HardwareHeaven

Well im sure but isnt this thread about getting a new biker a first bike? So my advice still stands, and I dont think they would be picking up a 30 year old trial bike for a first machine...

12. Duranix

Duranix New Member

I live in Melbourne in Australia. Inbetween Rural and Urban, I mean, theres no farms or anything, but theres lots of grass n stuff, 3 ovals behind my house, lots of free space to do stuff.... argh i cant explain it.. ill go take a general photo.

Its actually bigger than the photos make out. And im too cheap to go outside and take some proper photoes

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/2935/outside0017az.jpg
    http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1395/outside0024jd.jpg
    http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/6844/outside0039ep.jpg

And out the front (Its a court)

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/884/outside0043za.jpg
    http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/7077/outside0051qe.jpg

So basically, i wanna ride out the back for fun, and continue to do that after i reach 16, but when i reach 16, i wanna be able ride the thing to school, shops etc.

That said, i love the look of this

[​IMG]

Except that orange would look so much better.

13. nitrousoxide52

nitrousoxide52 Driverheaven.com err .net

I'm no expert, and I really know nothing about bikes, but that sure doesn't look like a beginner's bike, and you definitely won't be able to take that offroad (well without getting injured atleast). Something like a dirtbike, like Z was talking about should be more of a beginner's bike than sport bike.

14. Duranix

Duranix New Member

yeah but i dont like the look of those dinky thin trail bikes.... like a bike on bulemia from the ones ive seen :p

I mean, look at it!

[​IMG]

15. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

yeah, but you'll like the look of the gsxr a whole lot less when it spits you off into a tree and breaks your back ;)

get a trail bike, they are tremendous fun, and probably won't kill you.

16. Duranix

Duranix New Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  17. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

sure, get a big fat ole 90's kawa or something if that's important to you, but I'd suggest riding one of the skinny ones before you make up your mind :)

18. Duranix

Duranix New Member

19. Duranix

Duranix New Member

damn ive added a videocamera to my "wants" list :(

20. HardwareHeaven

Actually you hit the nail right on the the head there, you certainly dont learn to ride on a suzuki GSXR, unless you fancy ending up in a basket. Yes its a lovely bike with acceleration to rip your arms off, but I STRONGLY advice you learn the basics for a year, get handling experience and know exactly your limits before even contemplating a super sports bike like that. Also I dont know about where you live, but if you were a begineer here and tried to insurance a bike like that you would be out several thousand pounds and many insurance companies wouldnt even touch you.

I still recommend a small trial bike, they are light, nimble, easy to handle with decent acceleration and can handle many road surfaces with ease. Also learning a little off road is a brilliant way to hone your handling skills from an early age. It means when you do get on tarmac you have much better traction control in poor conditions.

Dont underestimate a trial bike because they dont have 200bhp, they are a really fun bike !