GF100 A small bird has told me...

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by -Mr.Fridge, Jan 31, 2010.

1. -Mr.Fridge

-Mr.Fridge DriverHeaven's Fridge

Hello fella's...

A small (but smart and all-knowing) bird has told me a couple of things about Fermi, and the first generation of it (AKA GF100):
    1. It's going to be a performance monster, saying it will surpass 5970's dual GPU with just one Fermi core...
    2. It's a 40nm core, but built on an old build-proccess, so it will generate enough heat to cook on it...
    3. nVidia is ALREADY thinking about a dual GPU-based card, but will not be possible with this generation Fermi, due to high heat...

...I really cannot say where I've heard it, so don't ask, but it's reliable, I assure you :)

Any comments?:x

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

3. EZero

EZero New Member

I really wonder how much it's going to cost. If it's $600 and the performance is the same as 2 5850s the point is kind of moot as far as a performance / dollar comparison goes.

4. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

All I'm going to say is that I'm hopefully going to be buying it. I just have a really good feeling about this next set of nvidia cards.

5. -Mr.Fridge

Well, Basicly, the 5970 costs about 800$, so I don't expect nVidia to realease their card in anything less than that, though no-one knows yet, I don't think that even the grand-managers of nVidia know so far...

It sure is going to be some kind of monster, it is somewhat of an Intel proccessor type GPU, should be a goddamn monster.

I hope that Mineral Oil will be enough to cool it :p

6. xen.chris

xen.chris dot daemon

With two 8pin supplimentary power it means Fermi sucks up 375W, so one needs a 800W brand psu to have a quiet system, although the cooling fan on Fermi will be not the quiet one. Maybe nVidia make a trade-off with Intel to produce Fermi on their 32nm fabs - those cards would be smth. spectacular. :taste:
    On the serious side, does HH has an NDA with nVidia, meaning on 26.03.2010 we will see a review of Fermi vs 5970x2 ? Plus one dedicated page to power consumption, of course.

7. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Of course Nvidia will say that it's going to be a performance monster, saying it will surpass 5970's dual GPU with just one Fermi core...

If they were putting a new generation card out saying that it's performance isn't that good, and won't surpass the best card of their competitor it's kind of bad marketing isn't it..

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

saying so when it can't isn't very good marketing either (although it's done all the time)

9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It can't consume that much the standard after which the cards are made sets the max at 300W and no card may consume more than that. :)

10. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

and nobody gives a ...! that's why is said it. This statement is made with every card and it usually doesn't live up to the hype. So speculating about the card doesn't really do any good, just a waste of time.
    We'll see how good and how hot it gets when HH reviews it. :)

11. xen.chris

xen.chris dot daemon

According to current PCI-E 2.0 standards, you are correct. But this year PCIE-SIG will release to the world the good new PCI-E 3.0 specifications which will clarify these aspects of power consumption & graphic card weight.

12. -Mr.Fridge

Official release in 4 days, we shall all wait and see.
    In the mean while, I found some very nice WIKI pages about GF100 and GPU in general. Highly advised :)

13. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

But these will be such long four days. :)

14. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Everyone excited?

15. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

That little birdie was wrong. 5970 murders the GTX 480 :eek:

I'm skimming through a bunch of the GTX 480 reviews now and I'm pretty disappointed overall. Not that the performance is bad, it's on par with AMD, only the 5970 crushes it and it's dual gpu and costs way more so hardly worth comparing. I can't see much reason at all to upgrade from my 2gb 285 and that bums me out. There's no way in hell I'm going to spend $700+ on a 5970 so for now it's either stick with what I've got or try and sell it and use the money for a GTX 480/5870.