GF4 is OLD - NV30 NV35 incomming !!

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by jvidia, May 9, 2002.

1. jvidia

jvidia New Member

Here goes my 1st post !

Well, I think everyone was shocked when Nvidia pushed ahead the Eclipse (NV30) to August this year! We now know much about this next generation GPU along with its bigger buddy NV35 which will follow up first thing next year.

I cant believe it, GF4 here and gone in less than a year, and thats what you call boom in technology.

Before I layout specifications, I want to address that Nvidia is going to begin the massive switch over from DDR memory to QDR memory. I thought they would have gone to 256-bit DDR but I guess QDR is cheaper to build and produces less heat. "So expect the GeForce256 SDR / DDR scenerio over again except this time, its Eclipse(NV30) DDR / QDR. ahhh

Ok, unofficial specs from everywhere from Guru3d to Xbit to INquirer to The Register to Toms Hardware right to Jap news goups.;

NV30;
    400MHz GPU - 8 pipeline engine - .13Micron
    512-bit architecture
    800~1000MHz DDR / QDR memory
    400MHz Ramdac
    LMA3 on 128MB~256MB Video Memory.
    DirectX9 - OpenGL 1.3

NV35;
    500MHz GPU - 8 pipeline engine - .13Micron
    512-bit architecture
    1000~1200MHz DDR / QDR memory
    400MHz Ramdac
    LMA3 on 128MB~256MB Video Memory.
    TT&L Technology
    DirectX 9.1 - OpenGL 2.0

I'll go through these GPUs in a bit of detail with everyone,

-First, the NV30 is a brand new architecture. That means no more GeForce title, and no more internal guts which were repeated all the way through the GeForce architecture.
    -The GeForce 4 was 256-bit, while the NV30 is 512-bit.
    -The GeForce 4 was built on .15Micron technology while the NV30 is built on .13Micron Technology.
    -GeForce4 is limited to 4096x4096 texture sizes while the NV30 has an infinite maximum texture size meaning 16384x16384 and higher can now be possible.
    -NV30 also supports future resolutions of up to 2560x1920 with 64-bit colour (These are 100% rumors, so dont be let done if the final product doesnt support 64-bit colour). The whole rumor of 64-bit started when John Carmack back almost two years ago opened his mouth about Doom3's 64-bit support through the help of next generation Nvidia architecture.
    -GeForce 4 features AGP4X while NV30 has full AGP8X support.
    -NV30 supports memory bandwidth up to 16GB/s (1GHz).
    -PCI-X support (1GB/s) the advanced PCI interface thats an alternative to AGP8X (2GB/s).
    -This product is expected to be annouced in August 2002 and is expected to hit store shelves by late september, early october.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-89685...y=cnet&tag=lthd

As the CEO announces this wonderful new revolutionary GPU advancement, consumers countinue to purchase inferrior products such as GeForce4.

Now, I'll go through the key new features that NV35 will bring;
    -NV35 will hit the 500MHz barriar on .13Micron technology. To do this Nvidia is removing the T&L unit from the GPU and putting it external. This allows for more heat spreader and better heat transfer from the GPU.
    -By removing the T&L unit, Nvidia is building on a new technology called TT&L which runs at 3/2 the GPU speed. (EX: Your GPU ran at 200MHz, the T&L unit would run at 300MHz) In NV35 case, the T&L unit will now run dedicated at 758MHz.
    -Expected memory bandwidth of the NV35 is between 20~24GB/s.
    -3DFX SLI technology will be implemented in higher models (A.K.A Workstation models)
    -This product is expected to be annouced in January 2003, shipping by March.

EDITED BITS: Sorry, the all-bold had to go. [SIZE=xx-small](BWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAAA!!! THE POWER! This moderator thing is gonna be a hoot!) ;)[/SIZE]

2. T2k

T2k Guest

Rolleyes...

Shortly: bullshit. :rolleyes:

Stupid legends... absolutely illogical specs, etc.... :mad:

:rolleyes:

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT - YOU STOP POSTING IN BOLD AND I'LL STOP POSTING IN BIG FONTS AND CAPS

grrrrr

EDITED BITS: In the interests of fairness, I nixed the over-sized fonts too.

4. Dracool

Dracool New Member

Rumor or not I'm waiting for the NV30 before selling my GF3.
    The question I have is when will there be games that will use this power ?

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

_thud!_

"Says Dig's jaw and the floor in unison...."

6. Vaporizer

Vaporizer WTF

will it have 2 fans at a db level of 137db ??

7. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

Yeah I can't wait till 3dfx technology starts to filter down into Nvidia consumer cards :)

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yes the card manufacturers could certainly learn alot from 3dfx technology.

9. digitalwanderer

"To dream the impossible dream..."

10. Dracool

Dracool New Member

Found some more info over at 3Dchipset on the NV30.
    http://www.3dchipset.com/news.shtml#newsitem1020969880,11223,

Since some sites are poking out info regarding the NV30, I might as well spill what I know. You might think this is just rumors, but this is straight from Nvidia who held a Seminar to some top end developers. So if these end up being wrong, blame Nvidia as they are the ones who held the seminar. Here is the info:

I caught a couple of NV30 specs for you. First the RAM will be running at 900Mhz. Secondly, they are claiming at this point 200 million polys per second.

Will Nvidia be using the DDR II memory that is on Samsungs product description pages? Will have to wait for that info, but it's apparent that Nvidia is banking on massed produced 900Mhz modules from Samsung. The 200 million polys per second is almost doubled that of the GeForce 4. I believe the GeForce 4 is what? 124? or something around that. Here is some info as well about the R300 from a OpenGL developer:

I've also recently been chatting to one of the persons at ATi. He got his first R300 about 3 and a half weeks ago. He won't give me any performance numbers (yet). He's claiming that based on the performance he's been getting, it's going to destroy everything else that's coming out.

Like I said from an ATi employee that's a given about the performance... ;-)

11. warrior

warrior New Member

This page has a couple links about the nv30

http://www.hardocp.com/

I'm sure many of you are familiar with this site, this is how I found out about this forum! :cool:

12. digitalwanderer

Hard[OCP]

That place ROCKS! My ISP was having problems for months that wouldn't allow me to get there. It was the only site that I was having trouble reaching, but I pestered 'em for 4 months until they finally fixed the problem. I started going there a couple of weeks ago and gotta admit that I'm nothing but flat-out impressed. A great geek site!

13. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

Yeah I've been visiting [H] for about 4 years now. Probably my second favorite current site.