GH Review: Colin McRae - DiRT (X360)

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by craig5320, Jun 25, 2007.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Read the review

Having to choose between two great games is terribly difficult, especially when the choices are Forza Motorsport 2 and Colin McRae DiRT for Xbox 360. On one hand, Forza 2 offers a realistic simulation with over 300 licensed cars and plenty of customization options but on the other hand, Codemasters is finally bringing authentic rally racing to the next-generation consoles. Even as I put the pristine DVD in my Xbox 360, I couldn’t help but wonder if I had made the right choice reviewing this game … was sacrificing all those virtual Porsches and Ferraris worth it?

2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Love this game! Playing the PC version in 1650x1080 with everything maxed out and it's STUNNING!

I like the gameplay, it's not "over-realistic" and not to arcade, which is a nice mix for people like me, not giving to much about the ultra realism in other racing games.

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yeah I love it myself on the 360. I think they should have went with their first naming convention though "colin mcrae shopping trolley, Tescos".

4. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

Great review, but i think i'll have to pass on this one. Back to Forza it is then.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

i tried flatout ultimate today on 360, its surprisingly good. especially the damage and physics model. might be worth a look at a later date.

6. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

Read a few reviews about flatout yesterday, it looks like alot of fun! Don't think they have a demo out yet..might get it based on the demo.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Colin McRae: DiRT or Forza 2, which would you choose?

8. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Honestly, as I mentioned in the review, my choice is DiRT and I don't regret it at all... It's fun, fast paced and on tougher settings, can be quite a challenge.

However I won't deny that Forza 2 is a more diverse game with the modding, the car painting and tournaments, multiplayer, etc.

It comes down to road racing vs rally racing / dirt racing.

9. ronnn

ronnn New Member

opening video was very proper, made me want the game! I just need a 360 first I guess.

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

For people who like a racing SIM... this game is nothing more than a polished turd. Too bad Codies doesn't fix the horrible physics engine, everything else seems to be top notch.

11. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well they want to make money... I mean, Richard Burns Rally was a decent simulation of the sport, but that only reached a niche public. DiRT tries to reach out to more people ;)

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

My only real problem with that is that they claim it to be some "advanced physics engine" or whatever. They say it is realistic, but it obviously is totally "hover-craft" type physics with awesome GFX and sound.. and some nice stages. A lot of reviewers (not DH) make this mistake too, making the physics out to be something they are not. It's too bad they don't make a "realistic sim mode" or something that would really give you realistic physics.. like RBR's at least as an option- it would only sell more copies to that niche group. Also it is too bad they load all Colin rally games up with STARFORCE - now I cannot even try the game out without trashing my PC/OS installation (as I have in the past and won't make that mistake again).

BTW I (and many others) think RBR would have done much better if it was properly promoted and advertised. People are still buying it, modding it, and playing.. and it is still being sold. Even the user-made multiplayer is still going strong. RBR is still installed on my PC, one of the games that will be there for the foreseeable future.

New cars are coming out all the time and for the first time after many years of hard work by really smart guys a track building program supports RBR so people can make new tracks more easily..

Long live RBR!! ;-)

13. Erroneus

There is a starforce "patch" or else I wouldn't have bought it :)

Normally I dont support companies which uses Starforce, but this game was to much damn fun :)

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I won't even install a game with Starforce anymore.. patch or no patch, it still installs Starforce.

15. Erroneus

Actually DIRT install starforce, the first time you launch the game, so if you get a "non-starforce patch" for the main exe, it doesn't install SF.

Still sucks you have to use such methods, but atleast it's possible.

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Amazing to me that it doesn't install SF directly form the disc form first installation.. Almost unbelievable, I will have to check more into this method..

17. Erroneus

It's up to the game publisher if they want it installed automatically at game-install, automatically at gamestart or by "ok / cancel" at gamestart, like DIRT does.

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I checked it out. I might attempt to install it now, and bypass... etc.. etc...

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well I have been testing DIRT out for a while..on the PC. Damn it looks great, and when settings are cranked up it looks amazing. Problem is I can crank the settings to high or ultra when only one car is racing- when there is a group, the same settings bring the FPS to a crawl, and there is also a lot of stuttering.

Then even when GFX setting are set to medium, it stutters.. Seems like there should be a completely separate set of GFX settings for multi car races.

20. Markius

Markius New Member

i was lucky enough to recieve DIRT as a gift (the game, not actual dirt ;))
    so im loving that fact (obviously)

means i only had to shell out for forza 2 :evil: