GH Review: Quake Wars (PC)

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 7, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here

When thinking of Quake, traditionally one would picture the fast paced arena shooters that are all about blowing off your opponent’s face before they do the same to you. While that has been the only multiplayer Quake games offered until now (not counting mods), Splash Damage decided to fuse the Quake universe with a more strategic side of gaming after seeing the success Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. As the name suggests Nazis and Allies got replaced with the Strogg and GDF, for what could end up being one of the most memorable wars ever.

2. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

You should had added: For Enemy Territory fans add 10 points to final score :)

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I was anticipating this game for a long time and hoped it would replace BF2 as my multiplayer game of choice, however, the beta's and demo left a sour taste in my mouth and I think I'll pass on this game.

As for the DH review, it did mention the struggling engine for interiors but I felt the exteriors looked terrible also. I ran it with everything maxed out and it looked nothing like those screenshots of the game we were shown leading up to the release date.

4. WhO_KnOwS

WhO_KnOwS The Knows Mister

They hardly look terrible. Sure, they are nowhere near Crysis or something like that, but they compare quite nicely to BF2142 for example. But it does show that the Doom3 engine wasn't aimed at outdoors, so not even mega-texture can help that. At least it still retained the nice dynamic shadows...

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

IMO if the exteriors in 2007's Quake Wars look worse than 2005's BF2 then they are terrible.

6. Vesper

Vesper Ex-Review Monkey

Well, if you look up real close and scrutinize every last pixel sure even the exteriors aren't going to look that great. However, if you're flying around in the Icarus Jetpack you aren't going to say to yourself "Hey, that mountainside isn't as defined as I'd like it to be!"

Considering how much of a system hog this game is I did expect the visuals to be better (and yes some of the screenshots were pretty misleading), but if you factor in the huge draw distance it somewhat makes up for it.

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

There's no doubt Quake Wars succeeded in reduced system resources and the draw distance is a huge plus too. I forgot about the vehicles, mostly in the demo I used the mech's or tanks and they had no handling or weight to them (unless you count being as agile as a rock) and for me that was a major letdown as I was a big tank/chopper whore in BF2. In case you didn't notice, I'm one of those guys that believed in the "Battlefield Killer" hype surrounding QW and it led to my current low opinion of the game.

It's just too much like those Unreal or Quake games and I hated all of them :(

8. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

I played the beta to death and though it was wicked at first, but...I don't know, I don't want to say its lacking depth because I love ET and it has zero depth, but I think its trying to do to many things at once and just comes short.

Its a good mp game don't get me wrong but I was waiting for it for a long time and it didnt live upto the hype. When I log into ET now I get vote kicked all the time because people assume I'm hacking, thats how good I am no joke, so maybe this will be a good tide me over till Crysis.

9. starfury6

starfury6 Dark Jedi

I must admit I am really loving this game, its soo easily enjoyable to pick up and throw away, unlike MMO's which i play which take a while each tike you logon.

The problem I have is another one probably related to copy protection. My previous issue was with Doom 3. Aside from the fact that it got boring, I could install the game fine, but the copy protection would not allow me to run the game. I had to use a cracked exe just t o be able to play. Now with ETQW, the game will not install, and if I put the disc in AFTER windows has started up, it hangs explorer. What I had to do was insert the disc during boot up, take a Nero image of the disc and use that to install the game. Now that the disc is in there and the game is installed it obviously recognises the disc cos I can play fine.

Damned annoying thanks id/Splash. But a good game.

10. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

I like the game but the problem that I keep having is timeouts to the server browser. I could even be connecting to a game and I get a timeout on the browser and it disconnects me.

I also have the issues where my terrain models (houses and the like) flicker and then I can see through them. Strange as hell to release a game like this with an error that lets you see through buildings. If I stand still at certain points too the buildings leave me with a perfect picture.