Ghetto Mods penny ramsinks ROCK!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by digitalwanderer, Aug 31, 2002.

1. um...

where do you get that. Everything i have seen on this site (and tried) has worked

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

SHHHHH!!!!!

Yes, I know that too. But some people just gotta have their rigs looking all pretty & shiny and just can't handle the concept of function over form.

If we have to explain it to them, they just ain't gonna get it. Sometimes it's a whole lot easier to just nod your head and say, "Uh-huh.". ;)

I'm still looking for the right size truck air-filter for the side of Bubbles case my own self right now.

3. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Re: SHHHHH!!!!!

WTF for do you need a truck filter? On the side of your case to filter the dust? Man, those things are rather restricting for a couple case fans....

4. digitalwanderer

Re: Re: SHHHHH!!!!!

Yes, they would be for a couple of case fans...but I already have more than a couple of case fans cut into my box, I'm thinking of something a bit more intense.

I got this cute little 10" mini-box fan just sitting in me basement that looks like it could nestle itself quite nicely into a rather large truck air-filter. Cut BIG hole in box, put fan in filter, put something on the end of the filter to force the air to be drawn in from the sideholes and hopefully muffle the roar a bit (and probably something that will have a big PPG sticker on it), and see what the system can REALLY do!

I figure to keep the fan on it's own seperate plug to eliminate system draw & it's a 3-speed and I plan to somehow rig the control to work thru the filter. (I haven't quite figured that bit out yet, it's under the heading of "field problem" for now. ;) )

5. digitalwanderer

Re: Re: Ghetto Mods penny ramsinks ROCK!

Sorry, I spaced this one. I'll hunt up the last online store I got some at, but generally I just hunt for the store that has it with the best bargain bin sales.... ;)

Just make sure you get NON-CONDUCTIVE thermal paste, and do NOT get thermal adhesive! No matter what anyone tells you, stay away from Arctic Silver. Arctic Alumina is ok since it's non-conductive, but if you get a little sloppy with the silver stuff you can kill your card.

I just pulled me tubes off the shelf, I haven't even opened them yet! I picked up something new this time; "Nanotherm Blue II". I just wanted to try something different.

I also picked up a tube of generic silicone heatsink paste (AK-100, that white stuff that comes in the cheapy one-time use tubes with your new heatsinks. ;) ) but it's a 20g tube instead of a 2ml one. It's cheap, it's reliable, and it's as safe as it comes. I've had nothing but good luck with the old reliable white stuff, although on my penny mod I used Arctic Silver since I had bought some before I learned better and decided to use it up. :)

6. Re: SHHHHH!!!!!

yes... i was... just kidding... everything on here is fake... yesssssssss

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Re: SHHHHH!!!!!

you got it all wrong.

function AND form ;)

some of us just got that artistic flair, some dont :evil:

8. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

gfdsg

Anything with the word "ghetto" in it is cool...

Ghetto whore
    Ghetto cruiser
    Ghetto...uh...ghetto mod?

I'm spent.

9. yello

yello New Member

insane mod. both if it works, stick to what working!

10. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

Geez, some people will do anything to get to 10 posts...won't they...jk

11. rUn-gUn

rUn-gUn New Member

BVWAHAHA!!!

LMFAO!!! Little stacked up pennies!!! AHAHHAAHA thats classic ! Thanks!

12. Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian Master of my own Destiny

Where in the hell is my super-glue??

13. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

bah I sniffed it all last nite :duh:

14. Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian Master of my own Destiny

Then what did you do with my thermal paste???

15. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

It just occured to me, DW -- maybe you might see even better gains if the pennies were lapped? The B&D Mouse, which is an awesome tool, would probably do a good job of it. Just an idea. ;)

16. digitalwanderer

I dunno...

The first stack I did lap, but the old fashioned way with a file & sandpaper. The next one I just put a LOT of AS3 on 'tween the pennies to make it like a peanut-butter sandwich or something and ensure darn good thermal contact, you really gotta go heavy on the thermal goop if'n you don't lap it.

If I do anything to it, I'm gonna try experimenting with some stripped & unstranded #12 THHN copper wire I have lying around the garage. I'm thinking of bundling a bunch of still wound 5" lengths of stripped wire together and evening up the bottom of the bundle on a level surface, then liberally applying solder to the bottom 1/2" of it or so to hold it together nicely, then planing the bottom of the solder/copper-bundle mix to a nice flat surface. Then I'll unwound and re-arrange the loose ends up top into some interesting type of pattern to maximize the heat dissipation. :)

Me only concern is that the memory chips don't get hot enough to melt the solder...but I've got about a 15F safety range 'tween the highest temps I've recorded on me viddy ram and the solder I'm usings melting point. ;)

17. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

That sounds awesome -- post pics if you do it.

18. Highwood

Highwood Comfortably Numb

Jav I wouldn’t recommend this mouse to anyone. It needs to be plugged into an AC outlet doesn’t come with the cable, or wireless receiver to plug into your pc. When I plugged it in all it did was vibrate the heck out of my hand, and wreck my mouse-pad and the top of my desk. B&D should stop trying to build computer accessories and stick to building things it knows how to like sanders and drills.:D :D

19. digitalwanderer

ROFLMAO~~~~~~

Ok, that was pretty damned funny! :D