Ghost Recon

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by FallOutBoyTonto, Feb 5, 2004.

1. FallOutBoyTonto

FallOutBoyTonto New Member

I finally got it. Just opened the box, haven't even tried it yet. Did a bit of surfing and noticed there is a 50MB patch (v1.3) and another patch to patch that patch (v1.4) Does that change the game much (single player)? Considering I don't have Internet at home yet :tears: would I need the patch? Or will it be ok playing single player without 1.3/1.4? Can't wait to try it out. Am I missing much by not being able to go multiplayer? Hoping for insight.

2. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

U dont really need them to play single player. The patches just fix alot of bugs, add performance, detects cheats those kinds of stuff. ull be good even without the new patches but when ever u can get a hold of them get them immediately so ull play a bit smoother and stutff :)

3. FallOutBoyTonto

Tried it last night, and surprisingly I'm getting poor performance (little delay, pauses, not smooth). Why? I got the gold edition which includes a couple expansions (Island Thunder and Desert Seige I'm pretty sure). Are the patches included with them?

Specs:

MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR
    Athlon XP 2700+
    Radeon 9800XT (Cat 3.10)
    TWIN-X 3200LL
    2x Raptor RAID 0
    WinXP Pro SP1a
    dx9.0b

4. studbagel9

studbagel9 Rolling the Hard Six

Depends on when the patches came out and when the gold edition came out. I hated Ghost Recon, Ravenshield is a much better game in my opinion. What kind of AA and anisotropic filtering do you have on? Try turning them off completely to see if that helps, and then switch around configurations until you find the best one. I get stuttering in some games if I turn them all on max, even though I'm not getting poor performance, it's like it kind of catches almost. Anyway, good luck.

5. FallOutBoyTonto

I just leave AA and AF on App Pref, since I also play PoP:SoT and I remember reading in the Readme.txt that turning on AA would cause problems with PoP.

But I did turn on all graphics options in Ghost Recon to High. I'll try playing with the options within the game, see what happens.

6. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

you will need those updates if you plan on oline gameing.servers will not axcept you without them.

7. studbagel9

Like he said johny, he doesn't have internet where he lives yet ;p. I'm wondering though if that patch would help with Fallout's stuttering issues.

8. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

oops misread that one.

9. GOG

GOG Please answer the voices in my head

Try to turn the shadows down a notch or two, also the smoke in the game will kick your performance down a lot. If i recall correctly, you only need the 1.4 patch if you install Island Thunder (which is 1.3). Also if you have a Soundblaster card you should make a profile in Audio HQ where all EAX-effects is set on 0%, GR handles that itself :)

If you want to check out the performance you can edit the options.xml in the game folder, set "ShowFrameRate" to 1. :)

10. FallOutBoyTonto

I lowered some of the graphics settings, just about all stuttering is gone. Don't remember exactly which setting I changed but it isn't as bad as it used to be now. F.Y.I. I'm using the onboard sound (SoundStorm) with optical S/PDIF to Creative 5.1 speakers for audio.

Now that the stuttering issue is no longer an issue, what about the actual game play. I'm not even sure how to play the game. Went thru the training, kinda understand the controls. But I keep getting killed by people in the way far background, by people about the size of 1 cm in the far background. By the time I see them, they kill me. :( I guess I just suck at the game right now.

11. studbagel9

That's about right for that game. Remember, it's a verrrryy slow moving game. Much more tactical than usual. What difficulty are you using though, that could be an issue. ;p

12. FallOutBoyTonto

I'm using an "Easy" difficulty, :(

13. thorpe

thorpe New Member

same thing happened with me,gettin my butt shot off from all directions.
    But once you start spreading your alpha and bravo teams they will give
    you cover, if you can see the enemy they see you almost instantly

hit the dirt mate and crawl.