Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 Motherboard @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Feb 23, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 Review

Today we have a product on our test bench which aims to fill the SATA3/USB3 gap in AMDs high end product line. We will be running the Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 through a selection of real world tests to find out whether this is the board that AMD users with a need for the latest features have been waiting on.

2. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Hmm, just giving all 10? Interesting... :)

I see that you've used an Asus Crosshair 3 Formula, for the comparison. Does that mean that we can expect a review of that one too?

Thx for the review.

3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

4. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

The USB3 result looks rather suspicious, from a non-saturated USB2 speed, up to a massive speed - and the colour is for write, normally the weak link in SSD.

Looks more like cache versus non-cached, is USB3 not being treated as removable?

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Wow, this is probably the most decorated product on HH I've seen. Still, I can't argue with that, the board really seems to have it all and considering that even the price is quite reasonable ($185).

I am coming to respecting Gigabyte above all other motherboard manufacturers for producing these really good yet reasonably priced motherboards. Strangely enough, I have never owned one so far, but I did recommend particular models to a couple of people and they were all extremely satisfied. :)

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Gigabyte is the best brand of motherboards I've ever owned in the past years and still , their warranty is awesome too.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx New Member

Gigabyte is my board of choice at this point in time, and this one looks nice. I ran AMD during the years of the P4 but went to Intel with the release of the C2D. I doubt the current AMD lineup could beat an i7, but I would like to see this benched againt some Intel setups so I would know how it rates against my current system. I don't expect it to beat a high end i7, but I would like to see how it does against what I have now. If it doesn't beat a Q6600 @ 3.6 by a good amount there is no reason to upgrade. If it does, maybe...

8. xen.chris

xen.chris dot daemon

AMD's current line-up of products try to beat the already abandonned platform LGA775 - link. More to the point xxJackxx, there is no reason for you to make a move to another platform which gives you similar performances.
    As for Intel, since they hold the crown for perfomance right now, they will keep up the prices also. When Thuban -AMD 6core- arrives, you will have a good pricing for 1156 platform. And AMD won't take the performance crown, since there is the 1366 platform. So, in general, AMD will be a 2nd choice performance wise, but with a very appealing price.