Git a friend with a self built PC and ingame stuttering

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

going over on the weekend to have a look but this is the spec he sent me does anything jump out as conflicting hardware wise to anyone

Ram = Corsair vengeance 16gb 3600mhz

Graphics= Power Cooler Red Dragon 8gb rx 5700xt

Power= Aerocooler 700w 80+ certified PSU 12cm Black fan

Processor= Ryzen 7 3800x

MOBO = MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge

Ssd= 1000gb

Read that there seems to be issues with the 5700 cards to do with Radeon Chill and poor performance but dont have a spare card to switch out with for testing (other than mine and TBH I am past the days of cannibalising my rig to test others.

Cheers guys

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Do NOT pair Corsair memory with ryzen.... i've lost count of how many times i have to state this.

If you want to run ryzen, get micron based memory, which is crucial since micron owns crucial. Otherwise feel free to run an insanely high risk of losing your mind with an unstable system.

No idea what they are talking about regarding radeon chill or poor performance, the 5700xt is a beast, but i'd be surprised how they'd get one, the rx 5700xt's are still selling for upwards of $1500 second hand, people are exchanging their 6700xt + money for 5700xts for mining, some 6800 and 6800xt owners are doing straight across exchanges even.

Why are they going with a 3800x though? Why that cooler?

If they plan on playing games, 16gb is no longer reasonably viable with so many now exceeding that and thrashing drives. Honestly at this point in time, 2x16Gb modules (32gb) is highly recommended.

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  3. Mr Cairo

Good to know I have some spare Hyperx here I may switch that out see what happens

System is over a year old he is just this week back in Uni after lockdown restrictions eased and thats local to me so he asked me to take a look figure he had teh card before the shortage really hit

No idea possibly budget knowing him

Again no idea

Will suggest that as well I explained that it was likely something bottlenecking his system and I will start with RAM first as thats something I have on hand

Cheers Judas much appreciated :)

Calliers likes this.
  4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I can confirm this. From my own experience Crucial has been the most stable, which is why I picked up Crucial Ballistix for my build. Others to look at would be Kingston (such as HyperX) and Patriot, both good for Intel builds too.

5. Judas

the 3700x would be more realistic for a budget oriented build... 3800x is kind of at least from what i see here, still grossly overpriced with the 5000's being available.

depending on their workload, they may be far better off with a 5600x over even a 3800x simply due to the IPC advantages and far better architectural changes that make it a king.

The included cooler for the 3700x however is MORE than sufficient. The 5600x i'd definitely suggest another cooler such as the wraith prism, but if budget is a concern, the stealth WILL do the job, just will leave performance on the table and run in the mid 80's to low 90's.

Check the hyperx to see what brand of ICs it uses, again i'd make certain they are micron memory. Samsung B die is secondary, but honestly it's still grossly over rated memory. If it's hynixx or nyann or whatever that shit brand is.... trash it (sell it to an intel user).

kinda curious why they picked that msi board though... and what SSD model/make is being chosen.

6. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Yeah that MB has a terrible VRM.

QB

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I assume the SSD has plenty of available capacity left.
    Also, is the problem with one game or more?

8. Mr Cairo

Sorry guys got sidetracked and didn't get to respond sooner

Soon as we hooked his system up to my monitor he said it seemed better ..after some chatting realised that he was outputting to a 2k monitor and I explained mine was just a bog standard HD one so probably just less stress on his vid card ram etc

More chatting and found out that main stuttering was first 30 or 40 seconds of gametime, then tends to ease or go away ...figure this is just his rig pre loading any textures needed for the game , I had found a reddit thread about people having issues with the 5700 and warzone we tried a few of the things mentioned on there such as turning off freesynce etc

nothing really seemed to make a difference to me TBH but I will say I find it harder to see minor stutters as I get older

We then switched his corsair for 16 GIG of Kingston HyperX fury Black that I had, we tried that I could not see a difference TBH but he said it was better

Left him to it and told him to get back to me if its still and issue

Not sure if it was the Ram a setting or him running the game maxed out and to high for his hardware ..either way he seems happier

He also mentioned that he thought the stuttering may have started after he changed the stock cooler so we stripped that back reapplied the thermal paste and reseated it all

Think that was all just a budget thing he had a Gigabyte board but changed that to the MSI when he thought the Mobo might be the issue

This was all his first attempt at a self build I wasn't even aware that he was a gamer

Just Warzone I think its pretty much all he played

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

9 out of 10 times I hear people having issues with their GPU and games it is an AMD card. I realize AMD is but a tiny dog compared to Nvidia, but ffs why do they keep having the same issues?
    Good luck to you and your friend.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  10. Judas

statistically speaking, you hear it because people are prone to blaming amd for the problems immediately, it's not even questioned... they will completely put the blame on amd card or driver BEFORE they ever consider the that literally anything else might be causing grief, like their power supply or ram or whatever.

Where as with nvidia, and dealing with enough customers and reading enough forums and on and on and on, an nvidia user will blame everything else BUT the video card, it's automatically removed as the variable.

This feed back loop has been going for decades. Even though historically nvidia has had the worst and far more often, driver problems and hardware failings, it's wild how often people will overlook their card or nvidia drivers too.

Either way though, even with market share ratio considered, the number of people reporting problems for the same things is approximately the same, black screens and such. Stuttering specially for the first oh minute or 2 or perhaps longer depending, i know in fortnite usually the first mission or BR run will be a stuttery mess as things are cached and loaded and screwed with throughout, and then every mission/br run afterwards is smooth as silk.