Given up gaming again

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Calliers, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

So I'm not gaming again except for League of Legends, I was playing Star Wars The Old Republic quite regularly but as of about a month ago I've stopped playing that game. And I think I've figured out why I don't play any games except League of Legends.

When I was younger I was still full of life and had a limitless imagination and potential like all children do, also most importantly I wasn't afraid to fail. As I grew older I started setting difficulty from normal to easy in games. This then progressed to me stopping playing games altogether around five years ago. I went on a hiatus of around a year or two and then returned to playing them again, got into Team Fortress 2, basically that and Defense of the Ancients in Warcraft III was all I played for quite a while. Then Audiosurf came out and I got hooked on that. I was back into gaming again and for a time it was well.

Then I stopped playing everything shortly after finishing GTA 4 and started playing just Defense of the Ancients. I then underwent a breakdown as I was bipolar and it was going untreated, spent some time at the hospital long story short before returning to my job only to be fired a few weeks later (they were looking for ways to get rid of me because prior to the break down I was acting weird, you guys know sometimes a work place can be like high school) for coming in late like the 3rd time ever. Anywho, moved in with my best friend and quit gaming again. Then I got another more powerful PC and started playing League of Legends, (I've also introduced quite a few people both on HH and off to playing it hehe, alot of them have become even better than me) and now its happened again. I'm not playing any games except League of Legends which as you may or might not know is a Massively Multiplayer Online Battle Arena game just like DotA.

Anyway, I think as I said earlier the reason I don't want to play any games any more is because I think subconsciously it is too hard and I'll just end up dying or whatever. Even on the easiest setting there is a certain difficulty to it. And I am the type of gamer that if I'm not winning I don't find it fun and even when I was young I had this thing where I wanted to do things a certain way and if I didn't get it just right or by using too much ammo or losing too much health or whatever then I wasn't satisfied.

The only reason I like playing League of Legends is because in League players are matched based on their hidden MMR (Match Making Ranking) and their MMR in Ranked games so you always get players that are on your level. This makes for an enjoyable and balanced game as I am playing with players that are at the same skill level as me, this means that sometimes I win and other times I lose. But at least I can win sometimes and on top of that since in League you get Influence Points (and Experience Points if your account is below level 30) even if you lose, at least you don't just work and not get anything for your work at the end of the game. Plus almost all my close friends play League so it's a good way to hang with them.

I feel bad still because I look and see all these new games coming out and you can see the specs of my PC that it can handle anything I throw at it, I feel sad that I can not take part in those games not because I do not have any interest (if I didn't I wouldn't be sad), but because I feel like I'm not good enough to play. :( I have so many unfinished games on Steam, games people have given me, I've bought and I've won that I just played a little and left to gather dust.

I should also mention that I do play racing games, on the console mostly though, but I recently sold my PS3 with all its games and I am just waiting for them to release Gran Turismo 7 on the PS4 then I'll buy a new PS4 or I might even get a PS4 with the new Tekken 7 that's coming out as I like fighting games as well and I like that they're online now, Tekken Revolution was one of my favourite games released last year even though it was free. But buying a console to play two games doesn't make sense to me, as I don't like most of the other games on the PS4 right now, plus I'm not good with a controller in most games apart from racing and fighting games (although I'm sure with a bit of effort and practice I could be).

TL DR: I guess it might just be that I'm growing old. :( Please let me know your thoughts and views!

Edit: Plus recently I started stacking silver and that is an expense in and of itself, as any of you who are stacking either gold or silver know or have done so in the past it isn't cheap, I'm doing it mostly for the fun involved in collecting different coins from around the world, there are so many to buy and partly for the investment opportunity investing in precious metals represents. Also I did used to collect stamps and coins as a kid, but collecting coins that are made of precious metals is so much cooler than just collecting plain old coins from around the world and not just because they are valuable. So yeah, I'm starting to branch out in my interests too. Not to mention this takes up some of the cash I could spend on games and all.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

you're in a vicious cycle here. You don't like difficult games, therefore you don't play them. But then you are sad you aren't playing the shiny new games that come out that everyone praises for being awesome...
    Maybe you should play games where there is no 'winning or 'losing', for example Sim City, Cities in Motion etc. And you could really get cracking to get everything *just* right.

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Yeah I can't wait for The Sims 4. I love that game. So mellow and you can pause the game so you are always in control of the game and can take things at a leisurely pace which I like. Yes, yes that could be a solution. Thanks Neshi. +1 :)

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You keep focusing on multiplayer games where you are bound to have your ass kicked no matter how good you are.. You are fed up with losing, No matter how good you are you will always at least some times lose in multiplayer games. You obviously hate losing. Solution, stop playing multiplayer games.
    You have your own time and pace to learn them and you don't have to fight people who play them 23/24 hours a day.
    If you like RTS game as you appear to be since you like these MMOBA or whatever they are called the online RTS these days, there are MANY RTS games from the 90's and 2000s which can scratch your itch about that genre in single player mode.

5. Calliers

That's just it Trusteft, I find most single player games boring or too challenging. Sometimes it just gives me a head ache knowing I have to do this to finish the game, it seems like work.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Then you just don't play the right games. Which exactly are the right games for you is....up to you to find out.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I never got back to gaming since right before the fire... Haven't even had the chance to rebuild a rig. I got most of the parts, just sitting. Haven't done any recording either.

Things come, things go...

8. Calliers

@Tyrsonswood That's too bad Ty, hopefully you'll be able to finish your studio and rig soon.

@Trusteft Yes I have to find the kind of games I like, but at least I know I like MOBAs, racing games and beat em ups. That's a start.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to take a break from it. Gaming should be fun, and when it's not then it will also be harder to succeed.
    I've taken a few of 6-12 month brakes in the past, and usually kept gaming actively for many years between them. Since some interesting games are coming out this fall, it's a good time to start taking that break right away. :)

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

Yeah, certainly looking forward to GTA V on the PC. :)

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I play games for the story. If there's not a good story, I lose interest. If things get way too challenging for me, I'll check a Walk-through for tips on how to proceed...simply to continue the story. I don't like getting bogged down and not able to continue. I don't assume that I'm smart enough to meet ever challenge in every game. So, I swallow my pride and get some help when it gets too frustrating. But, fortunately, on Normal settings, I don't have to do that very often.

Calliers likes this.
  12. Calliers

Did anyone else stop playing The Elder Scrolls Skyrim because the landscape looked too bland? (just pale and white?)

13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

You mean because it's mostly a snowy, wintry environment?

14. Calliers

@Dyre Straits Yes, and for me that sucks the life out of it. Oblivion was so colourful and pretty.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  15. Calliers

So, mkk took that break, just played League of Legends for a few months, and now the Sims 4 is out, and I'm playing that. Also @Trusteft I figured out why I like multiplayer games so much, it is because I get to play with friends, so since I was playing Star Wars The Old Republic with randomers, I talked two of my friends into playing SWTOR with me almost once every day for a few hours and that solved the problem for me. I enjoy the game again and have started playing it once more, I'm even going to subscribe at the end of this month.

Plus when GTA V comes out in January I'll have yet -another- game to play.

I'm back gaming, w00t! :D

Trusteft likes this.