Going back to smaller monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Has any of you gone back to a smaller monitor?
    I use 40 inch monitors for the last 5 or so years. One of them 1080p, the other 4K. The 4K one at 1440p as the DP is needed for a 60hz refresh rate and my capture solution doesn't work with DP. Not that I would run games at 4K.
    So, for a few reasons I was/am considering going to a smaller size monitor and perhaps resolution (than 4K).

Reasons are

1. For 4K gaming of newer games or even semi recent, you need a beast of a machine, 2080ti minimum if you want constant over 60fps at good detail settings. At least till the next series from Nvidia arrives this summer and that's just a guess.

2. 40 inch monitors are big. I am not talking about the viewing real estate, but the space they occupy on the desk. I gave away my previous desk/table which was almost 2 meters in length and now using a more normal size desk. There is no room for speakers on the sides, at least not the monitor speakers I have. Also placing a web camera (or equivalent) is not easy. If you place it on top it's looking down at you in a weird angle, you can't place it on the side for similar reasons. You basically have to use it in a place where it will block some part of the screen.

3. I have an old monitor, an 23 inch AOC IPS monitor, I bought in 2011. Still works like new. Still looks more beautiful (design) than 99% of all monitors out there. I decided to give it a go and I have to say, I am very tempted to go back to smaller monitor. Now, I don't know if that would mean 23-24 inch monitor as I admit I like the immersion you get from a larger monitor, especially in racing (cockpit view) and flying games. But perhaps a 27 or 32 inch, 1440p?

4. Other than money, the other consideration is workspace. Video editing on a 40 inch screen is beautiful, much easier on the eyes (and nerves) than a much smaller screen. Even if you don't use higher resolution, you simply have an easier time to work with the fine details/GUI, etc.

At this point is just a theoretical level discussion with myself, but I would love any input from you guys if you have moved from a larger screen to a smaller one.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I did consider a 40" at one point but like you say space is a premium, so I run a 21 for watching films and a 27 for gaming and browsing ... its big enough TBH

Nt sure i would like going from the 27" back to a 21" though so I get your dilemma , in fact i really haven't been much help here have I :)

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

27 inch is a large monitor to me.... Never seen a 40.

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I recently went to a 32" 4K from my previous 23" 1080p. At first the 32" felt enormous but I had some issues with uniformity so it went back to the manufacturer for repair. That meant going back to the 23" for a week or two and after using the 32" for a few months the 23" felt tiny. So it's all about getting used to the size IMO. Though a 40" would probably feel too big for desktop use if your sitting 2-3ft away.

As for gaming, I have a 2070S and there are few titles that I can run well at 4K. Sweet spot seems to be 1440p for me and DLSS can get you decent quality images at decent FPS. Next game I hope to play will be Metro Exodus and I am hoping for high settings, RTX on and 4K DLSS with FPS of 40-60.

Currently 27" to 32" is optimum at 1440 to 4K resolution IMO. I'd like to go 35" 21:9 for gaming and movies in the future.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm at the moment using a 42" display at work, something worth just $250.... and the first person to want it, will get it for that price.

4K gaming on a 5700/5700xt or 2070 and up is plenty sufficient for sustained 60fps. Often all you need to do is drop the shadow detail down a notch maybe 2 and violla, good frame rates.

I'm currently using a 32" at home, 4k benq with freesync, works wonderfully. I'd prefer to get something in the realm of 75" 4k however, and would fit decently on my desk. Speakers are all placed at the corners of the room so that's not a concern.

Vast majority of my customers request for displays are often the largest they can afford even if they requires them to jump on a peice of shit RCA from canadian tire for $400 for a 55"

sub 27" displays are basically non-existant aside from some highend ones with high refresh rate, otherwise they are very cheap poor quality displays for the most part.

A growing number are 29 or 31.5" displays, and considering how you can get a pretty decent 4k 28" and 32" today for a damn good price, i only expect it to grow in size as time goes on as more 4k panels are fleshed out.

6. Trusteft

What distance do you sit from that 75"?

7. Trusteft

I'm realizing something. I have this 40 inch monitor at arms length. While good for immersion, I do not really pay attention unless I focus, at the edges of the screen. Basically wasted real estate. I believe if it was 3-4 fingers smaller on each side it would make more sense. I swear I had a measuring tape here.
    Anyway,
    I was looking for monitors as one does, and found this beauty.
    https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/monitor/gaming/ex2780q.html

I realize today BenQ has a good name, but back 20 or so years I didn't have the best idea about them. Either I was wrong, or they changed.
    Still, this not only (according to reviews) is a very good monitor, but also it looks gorgeous and it is not entirely black!
    Any of you has seen it up close?
    It's more expensive than I would like to, I can't find it cheaper than 550 euros, or so, here. About 250 more than I wouldn't think about it.
    [​IMG]

Mr Cairo likes this.
  8. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

My main monitor is a benq i really like it good colour and response times and plenty of choice with HDMI and legacy cables

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

Someone stop me from buying it!

Hmm, I could get some of the money back if I sell my current 40 inch 4K monitor....

Mr Cairo likes this.
  10. Judas

i'm 6ft/183cm, and i sit back maybe around the arms length and a half to 2 arms length.

I should point out, on many of the displays, i've been running 32:9 resolution modes or there abouts for a number of games that are functionally capable of of it.

For example right now i've a customer resolution set for 3840x1080 and 3840x720.

Now why the hell would i do this? Well i'm a BIG fan of the eyefinity array, and with a large format screen, setting an ultra wide resolution gives you all the benefit of running a similar resolution ratio of multiple displays without ANY of the bezels at all though i never considered it a big issue.

The other benefit is that when i need, i can swap resolution on the fly quick and watch a movie or play a game in 16:9 natively, so i can sit down on my couch comfortably and watch or play with a controller or wireless/wired kb/mouse combo if i feel like it.

It's essentially fully universal for the needs.

I'd REALLY love to get my hands on a proper 8k display so i could run 7680x2160/1600/1440 or even 1080.

The only thing that's unfortunate is the lack of high refresh rate displays, so although i have a benq 4k 32" 60hz display that looks VERY beautiful right now, it's only to tide me over for the time being until large format 100-120hz 4k displays become available and affordable.

Before getting the benq, i was just half pressure click away from snagging one of the few samsung 21:9 144hz hdr (600nit) displays that were 1/2 as much more to 3x the price of this benq.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  11. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

I could never go back to a monitor smaller than what I am using now, a 27" monitor, before that I was used to 24", and before that smaller ones.

12. Trusteft

I had a quick look at HDR requirements (PC games) and while I saw that my current GTX 970 is supported, there are not THAT many games out which do, and from all of them, I own like 3 with the rest of them being games that I would never buy in the first place.
    Perhaps removing HDR requirement from my future monitor purchase is a good idea as I will get far more options and better prices.

13. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Most 'HDR' monitors on the market right now are pure marketing bullshit. Only really expensive professional level monitors come anywhere close to actual HDR. Mine is a HDR display but in name only - it cannot reproduce actual blacks, it uses dithering to reproduce the deeper colour depth, its contrast ratio is at best 3000:1 and it cannot get anywhere near bright enough to display true HDR highlights.

Closest you could get currently would be something with full array local dimming but even these are not ideal as there will be halos around bright objects. Other option is OLED but that has issues with burn in and cannot reproduce highlights at the required level to make images really pop. It goes to show how limited modern display tech actually is.

Probably the most promising tech on the horizon is microLED. Like OLED with each pixel it's own light source but without the burn in issues and able to achieve much brighter output for highlights in an image. Unfortunately it is currently limited by the fact that they cannot create LEDs small enough to create a standard sized display at 4K or even 1080p resolution.

Trusteft likes this.
  14. Trusteft

I had an idea.
    I set my current monitor to 4K.
    I open 3 notepad windows and each at the dimenions of 23 inches (my other monitor), 27 and 32. This way I could easily see the size at the current distance.
    And...I am going to make some tea.

IvanV likes this.
  15. Judas

HDR in modern monitors is indeed bullshit... The only way to get decent HDR is with a large format uhdtv with a good rating.

However even with that, enabling HDR within windows is a complete shit show, however some games have a mode option which is more ideal to use, though some games have terrible implementation.

The PS4 Pro's HDR mode works quite well however, it's just unfortunate that it doesn't play 4k HDR blurays, though netflix and youtube seem to work fine.

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Trusteft

I decided to go for the BenQ monitor I posted above.
    Far more expensive than other monitors, but none of the other monitors I could find have everything it has, plus the looks.
    Unfortunately none of the shops (Greece) had it in stock. One could have it here by next week, but doesn't accept paypal. Another one I had the weirdest conversation on the phone.
    First he told me the monitor wasn't in stock, but they would order it and have it by Friday, then I should have it in a couple of working days.
    Not bad I thought. So I said, so by early to mid next week I will have it here.
    He said no. They need to change it on their site to "in stock" then order it from their supplier, then their supplier will have it by next week and I will have it by the end of the month.
    How can he tell me two different stories within 15 seconds I have no idea.
    So I said to him that ok, can I actually order it now through their site? He said no, they have to change it to "in stock" before I can complete the order, so if I decide to order it, I should first tell them. So I told him to change it so that I order it today. No, he said, they can't change it till Friday, so I can order it on Monday and after the money clears (I told him 2-4 times I would pay it through paypal), then some time next week they will order it from their supplier an I should have it by beginning of next month.
    I kid you not.
    So I ordered it through Amazon. 35 euros more expensive, but fuck it.

Calliers likes this.
  17. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

LOL. Either that guy really didn't feel like selling that monitor, or someone has royally screwed up their information system.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  18. Trusteft

You know, you reminded me using 12 inch and smaller monitors in the 80s. 640x400 @ 70ish hz was my first one, high rez for the time. How did I even use something that small. Funny how things change.

19. Judas

The initial display i had was a 5" black and white 30hz display... with i think a maximum resolution of 180x96 or something like that. Talk about a headache.

20. Trusteft

What was that?