Going back to smaller monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I feel there is a problem with communication between us.
    There are no speakers, no external speakers. There are no speakers connected to the PC. Only the monitor in question. The monitor has built in speakers. The monitor has a headphone jack too. As soon as I plug in the heeadphones to the monitor's headphone jack, the monitor's speakers mute and sound comes only out of the headphones. There is no option to go back to the speakers. The only way to do that is by removing the headphones from the monitor.
    I hope I am more clear this time.

Anyway, I just received an email from BenQ (I asked them about this) and they replied with what I was afraid of. It is not possible to both have the headphones plugged in, and be able to choose where the sound comes out of, speakers or headphones.

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Your right we were ... I assumed you were trying to switch like I was, Are the monitor speakers better than your PC setup ?

What about an audio jack adapter that has a power on power off switch ... is there such a thing, plug headphones into that plug that into monitor etc?

Scratch that just having the audio plug in the socket kills the sound ... that is a frustrating problem

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Exactly :(

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I'm not aware of ANY display in which you connect your headphones to and gives you the option to choose on display.

HDTVs will often just pump audio out through a headphone jack while blasting it out of the speakers by default per the norm, but it won't pop up a gui option asking what you'd like to do. The reason for the constant audio out is simply to ensure that anyone that plug in a sound bar or external amp gets audio out of the box. One of the reasons why it's annoying for some people like me trying to fix someone's audio is that often people will continue to use the TV volume WITHOUT disabling the tv's speakers while having a sound bar or amp or external speakers attached.

5. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I recently switched from 2 different monitors to two of ASUS MG28UQ Black 28" 1ms (GTG) 3840 x 2160 4K UHD Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync) Gaming Monitor

I think I am pretty happy but I do not know if I wanted to go back smaller like 25"...
    At the beginning they seemed to be huge but after a while they feel quite "normal" size.

The only thing I hate is that some programs look crap in 4k and I need to run them with different settings.

6. Trusteft

Back in 2006 IIRC, I bought my first huge PC monitor, a 24 inch 16:10 monitor. I remember posting about it in this forum, and talking how (after connecting my Xbox 360 to it), playing PGR 3 was amazingly immersive or something.
    I came from a 19 inch 5:4 monitor.
    Now 24" feels, not small but not big enough, unless playing some older games or retro games.

I am now a few weeks in the current monitor (27") and the feeling from 40 inch monitors is actually good. The size of the monitor isn't an issue at all. I find 27" to not be too small after all. I was worried about it. The only problem I have and I hope to get over it soon, I find the fonts a bit too small. 1440p at arms length at 27" is barely acceptable to me. I have good eye sight, but I still feel like I have to work like 5% extra to do anything that has to do with text.
    I know I could either go down a resolution or increase scale level , but as I use many older programs and games, I don't want something to go wrong with them.
    Plus, as I said, I can see everything just fine, I can read everything. It's just that 5% extra that pisses me off. I hope I will get used to it in the following weeks.

arb65912 likes this.
  7. arb65912

Yes, that is always a little problem.
    For example I have a program that reads and writes data from simulator and I had to change settings for simulator itself to be able to see text (even with the glasses :p)

I am trying to use "recommended" scaling (150% for above 4k monitor) and text is a tiny bit too small.

Question about games display.
    How is my display for the games will be affected when I use 150% scaling on 4k monitor?
    That one.ASUS MG28UQ Black 28" 1ms (GTG) 3840 x 2160 4K UHD Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync) Gaming

8. Trusteft

I assume it depends on the game(s) and if you play them fullscreen or windowed.

arb65912 likes this.
  9. arb65912

OK, got it. Windowed would be better than?

10. Trusteft

Better is what you prefer. Better depends on the game. Only way to find out is to try it.

arb65912 likes this.
  11. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I always favor Fullscreen to Windowed.

arb65912 likes this.
  12. Judas

most modern games ignore scaling when it's not necessary, and others will scale properly... it's usually much older games that will really act weird if they remotely use windows scaling for anything.

13. arb65912

@Trusteft: yeah, will experiment when I get there.

@Calliers: I understand , just can not see the Taskbar and that is main reason I usually go for Windowed but maxed out.

@Judas: at least it works for the games but some programs will not do that but yes, there is always a workaround if one really needs it.

14. Trusteft

After a while I have an update.
    I was experiencing an almost strobbing light on the screen. Easier to see when the background was white or light grey. I couldn't figure out what it was. I tried different HDMI cable, hdmi port (monitor and pc) and different computer, the result was the same. Lock down and all, I don't see how I could get it replaced, especially since I bought it from outside the country (Amazon). I noticed the effect wasn't as noticeable if I enabled the built in display HDR. Which of course wasn't a long term solution. I then decided to go back to standard mode and I turned up the brightness from 70 to max 100. The problem has gone away, or at least it is gone to the point that you have to spend a lot of time to notice anything and even then barely noticeable.
    I don't know if it is normal behavior or not. I don't like it either way and if we lived in a normal period, I would contact Amazon or BenQ.
    For the money the brightness stays at 100, which is fine with me, but I am a bit worried that if it is a fault, it might get worse later.

Other than that, the move to a 27 inch monitor, from 40, has proved beneficial to me.
    The 40 inch monitors I used to use daily were...damaging my mood. Difficult to explain, just covering the horizon or something.
    Also, I am noW used to the smaller size for everything else.
    In general I am glad I moved to a smaller display. I just wish it was without technical issues.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    arb65912 and IvanV like this.
  15. arb65912

Happy to hear that (minus technical issuess). Enjoy!

Trusteft likes this.
  16. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I hope the flickering isn't due to how the monitor achieves dimming, because that's a thing too. If it is, you'll have to keep it at (close to) 100%. In my old home, I had sockets where my old monitor would flicker and those where it wouldn't (I think it was related to the grounding). It's a cheap thing with CCFL backlight, though, I'm not sure if more modern monitors are as sensitive to those things.

17. Trusteft

It's a new model, so...

18. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I was a little unclear, I mentioned two different things. The one where lower brightness is achieved by strobing the backlight actually happens on some new monitors. It's usually mentioned in any decent review.

19. Judas

Considering the swath of monitors that now implement various levels of energy savings and contrast solutions to inflate their marketing values among countless other "eye saver" tech. In the last 5 years there has been a steady adoption of what i would like to call bullshit mechanics built into displays. Even if you disable the various energy saver stuff, it quite often only limits it, but doesn't disable it completely. Pumping the brightness up and such often will counter the experience of noticing a pulse/flash or jumps in brightness/contrast. Even samsung's tvs are not immune to this issue and it drives me up the wall, but in my experience, all the tvs and displays are doing this now. Some are just more noticable than others after calibration and it often depends on the display size as well as it's backlight method/complexity.

This is one reason i'm looking forward to LCDs simply disappearing in favor of microLED displays that it appears samsung is the first to really push on. The demo i saw was completely free of the weirdness of LCDs in the last few years and one big advantage i noticed is that the response times are basically like CRTs again which is an incredible experience. Not only high resolution, but it even put LG's OLED displays to shame. The model they had that i could look at was an 8k monster that used similar microleds as what is found in the wall modular ones. Each quadrant was 4k obviously, and the fact that there was no backlight was really nice. I will say though that the weight of the display definitely went up for it's size compared to the more common LCD+LED tvs/displays we have today.

I think the most exciting thing though is that with it being microLEDs, these new displays come out of the box essentially colour corrected and calibrated with nill for discrepency unlike LCD display which have a far greater range of differences from one panel to the next due to the unpredictability of lcd even after all these years.

The other issue is with microled's, freesync/VRR/gsync flicker is supposed to be eliminated since the new controllers/scalers implemented for the new tech can operate at ultra low voltage and support a huge range of varriability including insanely high refresh rates.

I'm REALLY looking forward to what samsung dishes out soon.