Good bye 2.4B @ 3.24! Hello 3.0C~! ---- Make that a 3.0E

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by No_Style, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Danhill

Danhill New Member

I have the latest bios from the Abit page.

Abit EQ is showing about 5-7 C more than it should. It was an article that someone posted here some time ago where the guy tested the temps, he tested an asus board as well and the conclusion was that Abit shows about 5-7 degrees more than it should.

2. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i just open up sandra to check out my temps, i don't use the ABIT EQ program.

3. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Didn't know that it could be done with Sandra. But I still think that Abit boards tend to show higher temps, its still the same sensor right??

4. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

yep...same sensor

and yes, thats eems to be a pretty nice little fan. I don't have any experience overclocking on one, but it's pretty quiet and keeps it cool

5. CDsDontBurn

Yea, when you open up sandra, double click the "mainboard information" icon and scroll down a little bit. You'll see system temps, MoBo temps, and CPU temps.

6. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thanks, but its the same sensor so I don't think its going to make any difference, beside you don't have stock cooler as I do.

7. CDsDontBurn

what temps does ABIT EQ say you are getting on your CPU (stock and OC)?

8. Danhill

Danhill New Member

hmmm stock I don't know I'm guessing about 50, I haven't run it at stock so much. But at 3,6 I have 51-54 c Idle and when gaming for 1-2 hours I have about 60-63 C.

When I decode/encode for 3 hours or so the temps are going high about 68-70 C, max that I had is 70 when I decoded/encoded.

But this is not a problem actually, the cpu can go up to about 80-90 C. My old 2,4C would hit about 64C when encoding/decoding and about 60 when gaming, so I'm not concerned at all.

9. CDsDontBurn

the temp differences between our systems isn't that much. But my OC is alot higher than yours, and i'm getting like 2C°-3C° than your temps. Like you said though, it's because i have a different HSF than you. I'm sure we'd be getting the exact temps if we both had the same HSF.

When i first got my p4 3.2e, i was shocked to see it run so hot. I was used to seeing my old xp2400 run at like 20C° idle. I thought i had done something wrong, but i soon realized that my 3.2e's normal idle temps were in the 50C°-55C° range

10. Danhill

Danhill New Member

lol yeah they do tend to get a little hot, but as I sid its not that bad, it would be getting bad at 85-95 C I think, but we are far from those temps.

I will buy new mem in a couple of months, then maybe I can reach 3,9 as well.

11. CDsDontBurn

i'm reaching 3.9Ghz on ddr400 :). i want better ram to have a 1:1 ratio @ 3.9Ghz tho

12. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thats awesome, my Ram sucks big time, the best stable speed I have is 225 mhz, wich I run now, but I'm thinking of buying DDR 440 instead, but then again, I don't know if there is so much increase from 3,6 to 3,9??

13. CDsDontBurn

what ratio are you running at? 5:4, 1:1? what about your memory voltages? what do you have those set at? How about the memory latencies? Are they pretty loose, or kinda tight?

14. Danhill

Danhill New Member

The ratio is 1:1, the voltage is 2,7 (thats max) can't rember the timings, but they are crappy I've heard.
    But I'm happy at 3,6, I would be happy at stock too but....you know..........you just got to overclock a little.........my fingers itches.............

15. mike2h

mike2h New Member

if you like the performance, are happy, what more can you ask for? on 2nd thoughts do not awnser that:)
    i never push volt to max. to me that is asking for trouble. i am curious about your timings too. pleeaaase.

16. Danhill

Danhill New Member

lol, I'll check it when I get home.

17. CDsDontBurn

1.5v seems to be the limit at least on my 3.2e. anything higher and my system just shut off. I think it's my PSU that can't handle the voltage :p.

18. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Indeed. I'm not going to let something like this deter me from OCing. I know what I did wrong and the fact is that, I disregarded the safety procedures to achieve more clockspeed. Oh well.

Anyways, I'm excited about the 3.0C. The OCing potential is quite astounding, seeing some people hit 3.75 GHz (250 FSB) on air and with near stock voltage. I look forward to it, especially the HT! I know it'll help me with a lot of intensive tasks like VMWare management and such.

As for cooling solutions, I have ThermalTake Spark7, and it serves me pretty well. I never had cooling issues with my previous CPU. It was never a matter of heat, but a matter of voltage.

19. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Yes, you can't go wrong with a 3,0c, but if you find a 3,2 or 3,4 go for that.

20. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Bad news :( Just got a call confirming from two locations that I can no longer obtain a Northwood 3.0C. I'm gonna pick up a 3.0E or maybe I should go for the 3.2E.. Hmmm....

I'm leaning towards the 3.0E since the price/clock is much better. $227 CAD for a 3.0E. Damn it, I wanted a Northwood! :( Oh well, hopefully I can tame the heat and ramp the clockspeed.