Good bye 2.4B @ 3.24! Hello 3.0C~! ---- Make that a 3.0E

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by No_Style, Jan 23, 2005.

1. mike2h

mike2h New Member

have you checked pricewatch? saw a bunch of them over there a couple of days ago.

do people not want to ship to the great white north?

2. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

They probably do, but charge an obscene S&H rate. I've seen a couple of stores here in Canada who have it, but they charge way too much for it (and that's before S&H). I'm thinking about settling for the 3.0E.

I mean, it's not a complete downer. The chips aren't bad if you handle the heat and power consumption well. But the Northwood's overall package appeals to me more. Oh well. I'm gonna check out some other stores around my city.. see if I can get lucky.

EDIT: Ok, I found 1 store who has it listed (The other 2 stores had it listed, but their suppliers cannot supply), but they have it listed for a few dollars more than the 3.0E.. it's also quite the trip away from where I am. Every other store has Prescotts listed. I guess I'm getting a 3.0E. I'll post my results tomorrow after I get it.

3. goku21

goku21 New Member

Don't purcahse it yet. I might be able to get one for you. You need to get on AIM so we can talk damn it =\

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

well, if you want it bad enough No_Style, you'll get the northwood over the prescott despite the price or distance. If you just want to give up, then settle for the prescott.

That's how i look at things :). It's my way of self-motivation.

5. No_Style

I want it, but I won't go through hell for it.

I'm going to give that place a call tomorrow morning to see if they have it. If not, I'll settle for the Prescott. It's not worth fussing over immensely. I try hard to balance price/performance... So when somebody charges nearly $80 CAD extra for a Northwood, I say "Nay, good sir!"

The only thing that ticks me off about all this is that their websites display these Northwood as regular items. There's no mention of limited quantity or special order. The same goes with my DiamondMax 10s which I've been waiting over a month for...

6. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

find a buddy in the US to buy the northwood and ship it to you at cost ;)

7. CDsDontBurn

well, if you must settle for a presHOT, then don't be surprised to see the regular temps (idle) running around 50C°~60C° depending on your cooling. You'll be adding about another 10C° to that under load.

8. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I hope you guys aren't talking about 50c idle at stock. Even back when I had mine on air /w a SLK947 it never ran that hot, okay maybe load. I still think your temp. probes are reading higher.

9. No_Style

Well, I called and it was a negative on that. Oh well. Prescott, here I come :)

10. goku21

goku21 New Member

I'm trying ot do that, but he refuses to let me help =(

11. No_Style

Refuse? You offered?! I couldn't let you pay the S&H. Anyways, I got the 3.0E. It's sitting at a sexy 3.4 GHz. I'm not used to this 13% Overclock instead of that nice 35% overclock I had.

Timings are 3-3-3-5. I'm near my limit, I can tell. I'll post more info once I find the sweet spot.

12. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Put your timing at 3-4-4-8

Higher FSB out-weights the benefits of tighter timings.

Where you running the ram at a ratio before?

13. CDsDontBurn

Try changing the ratio of your memory to 5:4 or the 3:4 (?) ratio. You can obtain a higher FSB and keep your tight timings. Though having a ratio other than 1:1 will decrease performance....i'm sure you know that already though. It's your call on how you OC your system tho :).

14. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Its idle allright.

15. No_Style

Ok, folks. Here's the data.

D0 revision of this Prescott
    1.44~1.504 V is the flux for the VCore according to CPUZ
    FSB: 227 MHz
    FSB:DRAM is of course 1:1.

My ratios have always been 1:1.

I just Prime95 this rig for 12 hours and it's solid as a rock.

Things I'll consider doing is changing the timings to 3-4-4-8 and push a few more MHz, but if I don't gain another 100 MHz, I may just drop it back then. (I prefer rounded over minor MHz gain). I still have to get used to the fact that I can't run at 2.5-2-2-5 :lol: I've also considered doing the PAT mod from BigToe over at ABXZone's forums, but the side effects turn me off.

Temperatures are really good. 41 C Idle and 55 C on load. I guess it's due to the fact that my finished basement is pretty cool down here in the winter and the fact that the Tsunami case is wonderful with its dual 12 mm and side intake fans. I'm running it with a Spark 7 as you all know, but the fan is giving out. I may just scrap the HSF completely and pick up a Zalman CNPS7000B-CU. As for the stock HSF, I'm giving that to my brother for his P4 2.53B @ 3.23 GHz.

The Spark 7 was the only good HSF available in Ottawa when I first bought it, but now the city is filled with other cooling solutions and I'm liking the Zalman a lot.

16. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Nice and nice temp as well.