Good Mixer App?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by raid517, Sep 1, 2006.

1. raid517

raid517 New Member

Hi I have just bought a new laptop and as ever with laptops the sound is not fantastic. It isn't too bad I guess - but more than anything it is just a little bit too base heavy for my tastes.

So I was wondering if there was such a thing as a sound mixer app/graphic type equalizer that could live in my system tray and which I could use to cut the top end of the base on this system?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I'm wondering I don't know kx drivers would work with our lab top or not.

3. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

I suppose you use integrated audio codec. Have you installed bundled/downloadable software for your codec (there should be a mixer application and maybe an EQ too)?

For audio playback software (Winamp/Foobar/etc.) there are plenty of EQs available as plug-ins (software wise plug-ins, VST).

jiitee

4. raid517

raid517 New Member

No KX drivers will not work with this sound chip - they are for creative (audigy?) sound chips only.

As for Winamp, Foobar, etc I am aware that these have EQ settings - but that wasn't quite what I was asking for - as what I would really like is a way to control the sound independently of whatever app. I am using.

The sound chip on this machine (which I believe is a Realteck sound chip/codec) does have a very basic mixer - but there are only something like 3 presets - one for internal speakers, one for external speakers and one for headphones - there is no way to control any more detailed settings - such as bass, tone, treble and so on.

As I said, ideally I would like some kind of small graphic equalizer/mixer app that lives in my system tray and that allows me to make adjustments to the sound on my entire system on the fly.

However this appears to be a harder thing to do than I originally thought - as after some time of searching I have been unable to find anything particularly useful.

GJ

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the latest realtek drivers *should* have at least a 10band EQ built in… 'least the last driver set i dealt with did (for onboard on a PC though… )

check the realtek site for any updates

6. raid517

raid517 New Member

Thanks... unfortunately things seem to be a little different in laptop land. The mixer app is exactly as I described it - although a 10 band equaliser would certainly be neat.

GJ

7. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

8. raid517

raid517 New Member

Yeah thanks - I just did - but it does nothing to allow me to lower the bass levels. Really in my mind when I was asking about this, I had envisioned that there might be some kind of multiband software based graphic EQ that I could use - but finding something appears to be a lot more dificult than I had thought.

9. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

10. raid517

raid517 New Member

No sorry - and thanks for trying - but I don't have that control. Also I tried the app you pointed me to - and that really is just bass boost - whereas I am trying to do the opposite and reduce the bass a little.

But again, thanks a lot for trying.

11. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i read something about a program called pologue bidule (i think that's it) it seemed to be a software layer DSP - perhaps that might help?

12. raid517

raid517 New Member

Again thanks.... you guys really are trying hard. But that app is really, really complicated - it loooks like something that was designed for a professional musician - and TBH I don't know where to start with it.

All I am looking is for a simple multiband graphics equaliser that any average Joe could get their heads around. But I am beginning to suspect that nothing like this exists.

In any case thanks for all the effort - and if you ever do come accoss anything, please feel free to let me know. :)

13. inteks

inteks New Member

14. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

If your mixer app works w/ all cards (and not only (or even) w/ SBs) then just add/prepare an EQ (w/ 20-31 bands) and become a millionaire. Though, maybe it's not possible through this controll app directly but ... as most software includes a 7-10 band EQ ...

jiitee

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  15. inteks

inteks New Member

hi,

with such type of "control" software you can only "control" the hardware features of you soundcard !!!

what you need is a "process" software what can "process" the sounddata befor its delieverd to the hardware!

this is mostly done by the application that produce the sounddata ie winamp

the only way to get a generally EQ that work for all Apps is the use of "VirtualAudioCable" http://www.ntonyx.com/vac.htm that can work as a virtual Soundcard and route the sounddata to an softwareEQ and then to the Hardware

have fun
    inteks

16. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

Yes, I know this stuff (VAC/VST/DX/etc.) pretty well (I have had a well equipped home studio running couple of (5-6) years already)... but, as in this my surfing/demoing PC, I have SB Audigy 2 card w/ 7 band (crap) EQ which affects 'globally' --> it's propably possible to program similiar w/ better functionality (least more bands is needed) --> is it done partly at driver level? ... (I'm just too lazy to do/check this on my own because of "no actual need"/"long time since C code", but, since so many others have asked/are asking better EQ ...).

BTW, I normally point people to use

- Winamp or Foobar w/ VST Host DSP (+Winamp bridge for Foobar) plug-in
    or
    - MyMP3PRO or MediaCenter (both has VST support 'build-in')

+ EQ VST plug-in (some good freeware listed @ KVR)

jiitee

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006