Good motherboard for AMD FX 8350

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by cctaylor88, Feb 7, 2013.

1. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 New Member

I'm planning on doing a little upgrading to my computer as I have a bit of extra cash laying around. The good people on these forums have convinced my that purchasing an SSD is well worth the money so I will go ahead and purchase an SSD for sure. But, I am also considering buying a new CPU and motherboard with hopes of overclocking in mind...
    For some reason I am really looking at the AMD FX 8350 CPU as I would like to stick with an AMD processor, and I notice it comes out of the box at 4.0GHz which is very nice. What are your thoughts on the CPU? Also I have noticed some listing for the chip that say 4.0(4.2 Turbo) what exactly is the whole 4.2 turbo about...
    If I decided on this chip (AMD FX 8350) I would absolutely like to do some over clocking and that is why I think I will be needing a new motherboard as well, a motherboard that will allow for easy over clocking (for instance the mobo I have now...people are saying it doesn't have "direct vrm cooling" etc.

So to break this down, I am thinking of purchasing a new CPU/Motherboard that will allow for easy upgrading..what are your thoughts on the 8350 and what would you recommend as a CPU/mobo combination?
    Also, would you recommend buying the CM Hyper 212 for this processor as I'd like to do some OC'ing or something else? Stock?

Thanks so much!

Current Setup is below:
    Ram: Ripjaws 8gb
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A87td/USB3
    Power: 600w OCZ

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Before everyone that's gonna say "don't, go for intel instead" start their rants I'm gonna suggest two motherboards.

First of all the mid-range priced ASRock 990FX Extreme4 which is a real good buy. Asrock make great motherboards these days.

My other suggestion is the Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z which really is top of the line when it comes to AM3+ motherboards in my opinion.

Of course there are cheaper boards around but if you want to get the most out of that CPU you will want to have the best there is.

The turbo mode is something the CPU does by itself at times, it turns some of the cores off and raises the speed on the rest to 4.2 GHz to maximize performance.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Liqourice makes some good suggestions, and explains turbo well.

You also ask what we think of the CPU. I think it's a good CPU, but, compared to its Intel rivals, it will use a bit more power. Typically, AMD CPUs atm are faster than Intel equivalents in well threaded tasks (e.g. movie encoding), but slower in less well threaded tasks (e.g. most games). What exactly is motivating you to upgrade from the Phenom? Is there a specific application you're struggling with?

The Hyper 212 is a good value cooler, but it won't take you very far on this CPU. Certainly it'd be pointless to get an expensive overclocking motherboard like the Asus Crosshair V and such a cheap cooler.

4. Liqourice

I would go with something like a Corsair H100 as a cooler for this but it also depends on what case you're using what cooler is the best choise.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Also, when you start going for the best overclocking motherboards and an H100, it gets to the point where you could be looking at more expensive CPUs that wouldn't need to be pushed so hard to achieve the same performance.

6. Liqourice

I'm sure a smaller version like the H80 is good enough as well, I've been doing fine with the H50 for my PII 965 so..

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Aye, though a typical air-overclock on an FX tends to be a lot hotter than a typical air-overclock on a Phenom II.