Goodbye SeaMonkey

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by ET3D, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I installed SeaMonkey on my new PC, copied my profile over, and had the same problem I had with Windows 7: I can't set it as a default client.

Since SeaMonkey was getting on my nerves in some other ways, in particular the inability to save sessions, and though there's an alpha of SeaMonkey 2 which should work with this extension, I figured it's just easier to switch to Thunderbird + Firefox, even though I do prefer everything in one app.

It wasn't easy converting the profile. Thunderbird only converts a SeaMonkey profile if you start it without any profile. It can't just import all settings into a created profile, like I wanted. Conversion didn't work anyway on the new PC, for some reason. It did work on the old PC, so I copied over the results. Newsgroups were lost in the process, but that's not a big deal.

Thunderbird, though it looks a little better than SeaMonkey, does have its rough spots. Importing is one. Spelling dictionaries is another. I wanted a British English dictionary (I prefer the British spelling for some reason) and had to install a dictionary fix add-on just to get it to work. That's ridiculous.

Anyway, with e-mail and browsing working on the new PC, I'm now officially migrating to it. All that's left is moving the Radeon 3870 to it (been using a borrowed GeForce 6600 to allow both PC's to work at once, since the 4650 I won here at DH hasn't arrived yet -- it would have been a perfect solution).

2. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Okay, newsgroups don't work in a major way. Same problem as I had when I tried the SeaMonkey 2 alpha. The servers were imported, but if I add a newsgroup it disappears when I restart Thunderbird. Hopefully some cleaning up will help.

Edit: That was the result of copying the profile. The paths in the prefs file were incorrect. I fixed them and I have my old newsgroups now.

Also, I have a NOD32 toolbar, which I'd love to move to the first row toolbar row or at least make it disappear, and I have no idea how.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009