Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Aug 10, 2012.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review

"Today we have the Nexus 7 on our test bench to see if it offers a desirable, and workable, alternative to the more expensive larger tablets which are currently available."

2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

It's so freaking awesome! Gonna get it as soon as possible, should come out for sale in September here in Denmark. I've gone from driving to work everyday, to taking the train(faster & cheaper), so a small powerful android tablet like the Nexus 7 is pretty much all I wants right now :)

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Storage and no more support for Flash on the web are niggles that might spoil the party, but if you don't need those then I'm sure this is pretty much what to get this fall. Street price in Europe might get more like $299 rather than $199 though.

4. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

if only it had an SD slot, i'd have one already :(

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

For anyone looking to get one, hold off 1 more week, or check your local Best Buy this week. Samsung is putting out a Student Edition of the Tab 2.0 7". It's the 8GB model, in white (I think), comes with a docking station, and a USB peripheral connector adapter, all for the same price as the regular 8GB: $250.

6. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Worth pointing out that the 7" 2.0 is a lower res screen, heavier, dual core rather than quad, Android 4.0 and a smaller capacity battery.

It also lacks NFC (but some models do have 3G).

On the plus side it does have a rear camera (the front isnt as high spec as the Nexus 7) and it does have a card slot.

7. niceguyrichy

remind me of the point of having a rear camera on a tablet ? :confused:

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Its better to have one and not need it than to not have one and need it.

(I personally don't think I would ever need one but I did notice a whole bunch of people at the Olympics taking pics on their tablets rather than phones which was odd. I guess there are a set of consumers who buy a tablet but maybe stick with an older not so great phone because it does all they need.)

9. niceguyrichy

yeah i spotted that too, seemed... odd, to say the least

heigh ho.
    still wish to f*** the Nexus had a card slot, it's so annoying :(
    the missus offered to buy me one, but i had to say no, we're just not gonna have fast enough interwebs any time soon to make that whole cloud business viable :sigh:

10. Leviathan-

Leviathan- New Member

Really tempted to get one just because of the price, but seems there has been some issues with them

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'd wait for the next run to buy one. The issues in question, such as screen lifting (adhesive coming apart, or screws popping out of their holes, and pushing the screen up), back-light bleeding (seems to be related to the first issue), dead pixels, charging/battery issues, touchscreen issues (dead zones or inconsistent responsiveness), and dead microphone (seems to be a big issue for people who bought their tablets directly from Google).

On another note, a couple things I've been into for some clients that have them. The first is that the tablet is rootable, and you can do that via Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit. The second is a mod to turn any case into a smart case.

12. Amberwizard

Amberwizard New Member

I have now bought the Nexus 7 for the wife and at a bargain 32gb for £199.00 so far so good fully updated and fully working awsome piece of kit

13. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Yep it's awesome.