GPU artifact and video editing

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by anonemus, Feb 12, 2010.

1. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

Hello!

I just sold my old Nvidia 256MB 256-bit 7900GS video card for $22. I was honest enough to post in a local webtrading site that this card already exhibit slight artifacts.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

The buyer I just talked with said he's okay with this as he's no gamer and will use the card for video editing. What's important is that it's 256-bit, he said.

Then he asked me if the card artifacts, will the video that he's editing also show artifacts? I was dumbfounded by this question and just said "I don't think so".

What do you think?

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

That looks like either overheating or driver related issues. The 256-bit means the bit width of the memory bus. You didn't say what the new card is...

3. anonemus

[​IMG]

It's an old card, nvidia 7900GS. Will the artifact affect the video output? Let's say, a wedding video being processed through Adobe Premiere?

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

er... no... it wont. because the editing is done purely on CPU level and the gpu is only used to out put the video. Anyway the card looks ok to me. so it might be driver related stuff. Have you tested different drivers ??

anonemus likes this.
  5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Mind you, if the artifacts are due to a bad RAMDAC, then yes, the artifacts will show up. Although, normally you'd see artifacts regardless (that means you'd see them just about everywhere), so if you haven't seen them outside of gaming then it's likely not going to with them.

One thing to consider, however, is that Premiere Pro CS4 has GPU acceleration support for a few of the effects that it comes with (such as ripples and curling), so if this is an issue with the GPU, then yes, it could show up in Premiere Pro when using those effects, but to what extent I can't say for sure.

Thankfully in both cases this would only effect what the person sees while rendering/editing, and won't show up in the final video.

6. anonemus

@temeteus -- even during the boot portion, text in the BIOS are already slightly garbled. so I suspect its a heat issue

@Tipstaff-- as long as it doesn't show in the final video, the new owner will be satisfied. I'll ask him for updates.

As usual, thanks for the knowledge guys!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

My first 9800Pro was like that when it was delivered and it was replaced. I'm not sure, but I think that it's actually faulty memory.

8. anonemus

@IvanV -- good thing it was still under warranty.

The buyer said he used the 7900GS already, barely noticed the artifacts and had no problem rendering videos.

Whew!