GPU usage 100%

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Neshi, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

So recently it seems my videocard will turn itself to normal clocks (core: 835Mhz Memory: 2052Mhz) and get to ~80C degrees even though all I am doing is some video playback. According to GPU Shark its usage is around 97-99%. After turning the video off, the card won't revert to 'idle'.

After a restart the clocks are back at its 'idle' settings, throttled down from 'max' (core:50Mhz Memory: 135Mhz).
    I am unsure what this is... I have scanned to pc for possible malware or virusses, but there is nothing present.

This just started happening this morning as well. It was fine before.
    It is just completely baffling to me.

edit:
    So I restarted my computer, and just browsing the internet all the while monitoring gpu activity.
    At the start it was fine, but after 10-15 minutes it went full bore at normal clocks and doesn't want to let up.

edit2:
    I downloaded Palit's Thunder Master and fiddled around with the setting, at one point clicking the 'save bios to file' icon. Now that seems to have reset something on the card because it is now acting like it is supposed to. Will see if it lasts.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Are you still getting the whirring noise? I asked you that when we spoke earlier but can't remember if you told me.

3. Neshi

yea, if the fans surpass 70% the whirring still occurs.

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Pity, really hope that HH can do something for you. That card is turning out to be a problem child eh? :(

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

On AMD's side, not returning to idle clock was a driver issue, so I'd try different versions. What does Google say?

6. Neshi

google has no answers.. some say its malware/virus that installed a bitminer or something. But as the results say its clean. I don't think so.
    It's the same driver that worked perfectly fine for a couple of weeks since I've installed them, so what would have changed to them overnight?

No, it looks like i've inadvertently reset something... because the card is working fine. It even throttles back when I alt+tab out of a game...

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Member

I used to mine crypto and it was the first thing that sprung to my mind that maybe you have picked up a mining bot, although being an Nvidia based GPU I would of thought probs not, as they are far slower at mining crypto than AMD base GPU's not sayin theres no way it could be a mining bot although im guessing probs not, a lot of the bots I know off steal CPU cycles to mine quietly in the back ground.. probs more likely an driver and software bug at a guess.

8. Neshi

Ok, update.
    While I thought I fixed it, I haven't. It re-appears with every new reboot. Every time I have to use Thunder Master and save the bios, which somehow resets the card and let it function normally. If I do not do this, gpu usage will stick at 97-99%.
    Clearly something is not right, but I haven't got the foggiest what it could be.

9. IvanV

I guess that everything worked fine as is before, but still, it may be worth trying to uninstall all the overclocking software and then reset the driver settings to the default values.

10. Neshi

I only installed the overclocking software to solve the issue though...

11. IvanV

Then I guess not. :D Weirdly, the fan on my graphics card occasionally spins up while the PC is booting and if it doesn't spin down on its own I just open the Overdrive tab in CCC and it quiets down (I don't even click anything there).